Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

373 gear question

willieshotg3

Reaction score
i just put 373 gears out of a pre runner hole 3rd member into my x hav a little whine from 30-60mph just wondering if any other people with this swap have herd the same noise

05 X-R

Reaction score
How many miles on the gears? Mess with the shims or pinion nut any?

willieshotg3

Reaction score
i did not change anything...still had fac paint in them...nothing over 2k on them...i was thinking maby because there spinning faster or the trans is spinning faster to get the tirs to spin the same speed...i cannot pinpoint where it is comming from rear or trans...it is only when i hold a constant speed not under accell or decell

05 X-R

Reaction score
Shouldnt have changed anything. See if its coming from the trans or rear end. If trans nothing to worry about, mine does at certian RPM.... maybe the gear change has just made yours more noticable.

dak-rt-2a-XR

Banned
Reaction score
did you do a break in?

Changing gears requires being easy on them for 500 mile break in period.

Then you should drop the cover and have someone who knows gears inspect them and make sure the ring and pinion are aligned correctly. If they arent, they will be "eating" teeth and you will have a diff full of metal shavings. If this is happening, whoever out them in installed them incorrectly. You will be able to see shiney metal in the teeth where they are rubbing themselves from being out of alignment.

This could be the source of your whine.

If its not, I wouldnt worry, taller gears are known to have whines. Alot of people who did 4.56 gears in their Dakota had horrible whines at highway speeds.

damn I cant wait to get my 3.58's in!!

05 X-R

Reaction score
He said he swapped the whole chunk with 2K miles... they are broke in and aligned from Toyota if so.

willieshotg3

Reaction score
no cover third member...i installed them....just took a stock toyota third member and put it in mine you dont have to set pinion depth or preload or backlash...it sounds more like the trans

dak-rt-2a-XR

Banned
Reaction score
also, Balboa on CT is the only one I know running those, next to you now...

shoot him a pm and see what he had experienced with them

Good luck!
Brad

no cover third member...i installed them....just took a stock toyota third member and put it in mine you dont have to set pinion depth or preload or backlash...it sounds more like the trans
where did you get the rear end? Do you have a history on it?

Last edited:

x20Runner05

Reaction score
I dunno i would just double check things. WE are human we make mistakes. How is the pickup off the line? I ask cuz i was thinking of getting them.

willieshotg3

Reaction score
i was runing a 50 shot of nitrous and by seat of the pants it feels the same with the 373's no nitrous...havenot ran nitrous through those yet... to cold here...

i got hte diff from a salvage yard out of a 07 pre runner with 373 with out diff lock with locking

jaxchrisfla

Reaction score
you got a 3rd member from a electric locker rear axle? i thhought those would not fit, they are a normal 8" housing, compared to our 8.4"

dak-rt-2a-XR

Banned
Reaction score
you got a 3rd member from a electric locker rear axle? i thhought those would not fit, they are a normal 8" housing, compared to our 8.4"
65876063.jpg

blastap

Reaction score
i think he meant without the difflock if i read correctly

Top Bottom