Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Write-Up: RS Type Hood Struts Install

Jay Swift

"The Philippine Bean"
Reaction score
So I went ahead and gave these a shot: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/toyo...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Review:

Pros: At $65 with free shipping, they are cheaper than the Redline brand ($69.95 plus shipping). They use factory bolt locations that require no rivoting making it easily reversible. The guy who sells them used his own X to test fit and make them which is good because we know we're not dealing with just any guy selling generic struts. He also provides great customer service over the phone if needed. I found out this as I was concerned when the dampers first did not compress by hand but he walked me through it. They are injected with nitrogen gas and have to be "broken in" initially. He recommended the same method he used which was putting them under his office chair then lowered his weight on the chair to get them to compress. Once that issue was addressed, the overall install took about 20 mins.

Of course I asked him about XRU and whether he knew about it. He said he joined a long time ago but was never much active. Hopefully this gets hims more active :laugh:

Cons: None really so far, I will update this post if I run into any. He did advise me, with these being heavy duty dampers, to guide the hood open as it raises itself. And although it works great, the top bolt should have been black like the rest of the parts instead of gold, but that's just my OCD kicking in :rolleyez::laugh:

Install:

Step 1: Locate upper and lower factory bolt locations to be removed and replaced:

Upper: (1st bolt out of the 2 that attach hood to the truck) 12mm
1-31-10011.jpg

Lower: (bolt near rubber piece) 10mm
1-31-10013.jpg

Step 2: Verify and attach parts (12mm socket) to upper bolt location
1-31-10009.jpg

1-31-10014.jpg

Step 3: Verify and attach parts (10mm long socket) to lower bolt location
1-31-10012.jpg

1-31-10016.jpg

Step 3: Attach dampers. Quick tips: be sure to remove safety clips and re-attach after dampers have been placed on. At first, the dampers are too long to be simply attached to both top and bottom locations. I attached the upper mount first, then raised the hood slightly by hand and attached the lower mount.

Upper Mount:
1-31-10006.jpg

Lower mount:
1-31-10007.jpg

Completed Install: :top:
1-31-10008.jpg

RossK35

Reaction score
I like these so much better that no drilling is required. Looks like the hood opens up more with these?

Jay Swift

"The Philippine Bean"
Reaction score
I like these so much better that no drilling is required. Looks like the hood opens up more with these?

yes, about after 1/3 of the way after manually opening the hood, the shocks take over and raise it the rest of the way.

Venomous_X

Reaction score
Looks good Jay, always nice to see someone try something new! :rock:

ntinhri

Reaction score
WOW these would work nicely with my CF hood!

Tapp

Reaction score
WOA... i like these alot!!!

if this guy came on the forum.. ID CONVERT!!! thats such a clean look!! so much better than my REDLINES.. fawk those things...:top:

revobreaker

Staff member
Reaction score
damn, and I got my redlines for Christmas, these would be easier to install through....

Jay Swift

"The Philippine Bean"
Reaction score

yes, I remember hearing a few people say you couldn't (or at least wouldn't want to) drill holes into the CF hood with the redlines :argh:

cbfields4

"The Wedding Crasher"
Reaction score
Nice mane...you're becoming a regular modder, I see!:top:

lowchef

Reaction score
Good Looking out...might have to give those a shot!

Tapp

Reaction score
see if you can get this guy on board and do a group buy or something :top:

Jay Swift

"The Philippine Bean"
Reaction score
see if you can get this guy on board and do a group buy or something :top:

LOL he just texted me sayin he could do a group buy for $60. But I told him that I wasn't sure Klint would allow him unless he was a vendor. I encouraged him to get on our site more often so who knows, hopefully he'll get on and contact K2 and get the ball rolling :top: other than that, his eBay ad is your best bet.

Last edited:

05XR

Reaction score
Well while we are at it, we might as well post his Craigslist ad too.... I almost gave him a call a couple days ago. Looks like he offers free local delivery too. Im gonna have to use that option.

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/pts/1540461783.html

Jay Swift... Thanks for the write up. Wasnt sure if there was drilling involved with these. Glad to see there isnt. I'll be ordering a set myself

Jay Swift

"The Philippine Bean"
Reaction score
Well while we are at it, we might as well post his Craigslist ad too.... I almost gave him a call a couple days ago. Looks like he offers free local delivery too. Im gonna have to use that option.

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/pts/1540461783.html

Jay Swift... Thanks for the write up. Wasnt sure if there was drilling involved with these. Glad to see there isnt. I'll be ordering a set myself

Nice find :top: Yeah his name is Mike, I'm guessing he means free shipping. I doubt anyone would deliver right to your house locally :hmmmm2:

Coupe

Reaction score

You usually do not want a spring or a strut on a composite hood.

The force will buckle the hood. Maybe not immediately, but over time.

Gonzo464

Reaction score
Saw these when you made the write up, so i checked 'em out a couple days later... placed my order, and just got em today. I'll slap them on tomorrow sometime. They look nice, and they weren't too expensive.

BadAzzXrunR

Reaction score
These hood struts are great. I put a set on about a month ago( part of my XR's winter hybernation projects) and they went on sooo easy. Took all of about 10 minutes.

revobreaker

Staff member
Reaction score
10 min?

Since this install is so easy, Im selling my redlines and getting some of these, I really dont wanna measure/drill/rivet

Has anyone had access to both types to be able to compare side by side?

Last edited:

kelson

Reaction score
ho these look mean...next paycheck for sure lol...
look more oem than the redline ones

Top Bottom