Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Stock Fuel Pump Issues

My68ur8trd

Reaction score
I just want to let you guys know what I have going to just for information to those with similar situation.

My truck has 36K on it and was a daily driver for the last owner who seems to have ran regular fuel for its entire life.

I put the TRD S/C with the stock pulley on it two weeks ago and the X1. When Gadget and I ran it up and down the interstate, the injectors were maxed at 95% duty cycle ( yep and this is on the stock pulley).

Well I put my fuel pressure gauge back in yesterday and took it for a spin. Normal driving the FPR hovers around 40 PSI ( system is supposed to be 42.5, but my gauge has always read 40).

WOT the pressure tanks to about 33:ahhhhh:

So time for a URD pump upgrade. But I wanted you guys that are boosting trucks with a few more miles on them to know. Even with the stock pulley, the system is maxed if the filter is gummed up. I dont know how the TRD reflash would handle it, but the X1 does its job by increasing the DC to compensate

Also,

The regulator seems to be leaking too.

I had the oddly long start ever since I got the truck. When I shut it down, the FP drops from 40 psi to 0 in about 3 seconds. Which explains it

So I will be changing that too.

the quirks of a used vehicle :smile:

Justin

SE_XRUNNER

Reaction score
thats good info there justin... even though im not boosted i too have a long start if i dont drive the truck for more than 6 hours or so... ill replace that fuel pressure regulator... any idea what the part number is?

My68ur8trd

Reaction score
thats good info there justin... even though im not boosted i too have a long start if i dont drive the truck for more than 6 hours or so... ill replace that fuel pressure regulator... any idea what the part number is?

I dont know the PN, if you are still under 60 K it is warranty covered

I called for a price its roughly a 100 USD part, so if warranty will cover it, go for it

There is also a check valve in the pump that could be suspect too

I am going to put the high flow pump in and see if that fixes both issues. If so, then great

it is no danger to the truck ( the slow start), just annoying

The dropping FP at WOT needs to be fixed and the pump will take care of that

Justin

SE_XRUNNER

Reaction score
so... i am still under 60k (47500) but when i bought the truck in december 09 it was sold as is no warranty. can i still take the truck in for warranty work?

i have a warranty through united car care and it covers EVERYTHING from bumper to bumper that could ever possibly go wrong, even after i install a s/c as long as the s/c is a toyota part. kinda funny but thats what they told me.

which warranty should i use?

yeah i figured its not harmful to the truck and the problem could be taken car of by turning the key to the on position and waiting for the fuel pump to finish priming the lines but i might as well take care of it before boostin it.

thanks for your help

oh yeah whats the status on those arm rests?

TitanRattler813

Reaction score
so... i am still under 60k (47500) but when i bought the truck in december 09 it was sold as is no warranty. can i still take the truck in for warranty work?

i have a warranty through united car care and it covers EVERYTHING from bumper to bumper that could ever possibly go wrong, even after i install a s/c as long as the s/c is a toyota part. kinda funny but thats what they told me.

which warranty should i use?

no warranty from the seller does not automatically mean no warranty from the manufacturer. It may be worth a try at a dealership. :dontknow:

SE_XRUNNER

Reaction score
nice thanks man!!!

long start is when it takes a long time to start... it just means that the fuel that would normally sty in the lines bleeds back into the tank and it has to get primed into the lines again when you start the truck causing it to take longer than normal for the truck to start

My68ur8trd

Reaction score
What do you guys mean by "long start"?

it cranks more than it normally would

when you shut down the pressure should stay near operating pressure for at least a day.

the engine cranks until the fp gets back to normal and then it fires right up

There is also a check valve in fuel pump that could be the culprit too.

I will change to pump and see if it fixes it, if not I will change the regulator

Justin

5000XD

Reaction score
it cranks more than it normally would

when you shut down the pressure should stay near operating pressure for at least a day.

the engine cranks until the fp gets back to normal and then it fires right up

There is also a check valve in fuel pump that could be the culprit too.

I will change to pump and see if it fixes it, if not I will change the regulator

Justin

Oke. Been having long cranks since I've installed the X1. Not always though, but usually it takes 1-2 seconds longer then normal to fire her up. I will install the urd fuel pump too myself shortly. But keep us posted what happens when you do.

My68ur8trd

Reaction score
Oke. Been having long cranks since I've installed the X1. Not always though, but usually it takes 1-2 seconds longer then normal to fire her up. I will install the urd fuel pump too myself shortly. But keep us posted what happens when you do.

will do

fuel systems are not complicated so it is one of those two things

Justin

Murderface

Reaction score
Well Justin I'll bring my URD fuel pump with me to Va Beach meet so I can watch u install it on my truck since you'll have some practice. I'll buy the Pepsi for u:crinklehair:

My68ur8trd

Reaction score
Well Justin I'll bring my URD fuel pump with me to Va Beach meet so I can watch u install it on my truck since you'll have some practice. I'll buy the Pepsi for u:crinklehair:

lol

mine will be pump number 3 ( well 4 if you count when jasons fuel float fell off and we had to redo it)

Its not hard as long as the tank is empty

Justin

Gadget

Reaction score
I have two pump installs to do ASAP....

G

My68ur8trd

Reaction score
I have two pump installs to do ASAP....

G

we dropped jasons tank to fix the float and had it back under the truck in about a hour and a half

that was record time.

It should be easier on the 4x4 since I have alot more room to work

Justin

Gadget

Reaction score
We had to go back into Steve's tank for the same thing, right after he filled it up at the gas station.

Disconnected the return line and let it pump into buckets and gas cans with the engine idling to get the fuel out of the tank.

G

Super Werty

Reaction score

Same here, but adding the fuel pump did not fix the long starts. I was told a new fix was coming in a X-1 update, but that was almost a year ago

My68ur8trd

Reaction score
Same here, but adding the fuel pump did not fix the long starts. I was told a new fix was coming in a X-1 update, but that was almost a year ago

mine did it before the X-1

do you have a FP gauge hooked up?

if the system is bleeding down, it will cause the same symptom

I can watch the gauge slowly fall after I shut it down to the "ON" position to keep the gauge from shutting off

Justin

off-road taco06

Reaction score
Yeah i have a similar issue sometimes when i go to remote start my truck, sometimes it just wont fire up. It will just attempt to crank but it will never fire. It happens few and far between starts but im assuming its just a fuel priming issue. When i don't hear it start i just go out and manually start it with the key (prime first) and it starts fine.

Not sure if anyone else has ever experienced this.... while we are on the starting issue that is.. :top:

Top Bottom