Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Crank Pulley Sleeve

Coupe

Reaction score
While we are sleeving a NST Crank Pulley, this will work on a stock pulley.

Over time, a crank lip seal will wear a groove in the shaft of a crank pulley. It may happen a little quicker on aluminum over steel.

SpaceMonkey was the guinea pig for this mod. We did his truck today. Unfortunately my camera crapped out today. I do have some pics, I am missing some of the install pics. I have filled in with some sketches.

I will be doing this mod to my truck in a few weeks, so I will follow up with a few more pics.

For the record, I have about 10K miles on my NST pulley, without any problems.

This is a stock pulley with about 10K miles. No groove, but you can see a wear pattern starting.

2010March048.jpg

This is a stock Toyota crankseal, it is spring loaded.

2010March052.jpg

This is a SKF Speedi Sleeve. You need a #99165.
2010March046.jpg

2010March045.jpg

This is a very thin sleeve that fits tightly to the pulley shaft. It is hammered on with an included special tool.

2010March038.jpg

2010March036.jpg

This is a pic, showing the factory seal over the sleeve.

2010March042.jpg

This is where I lost my pics. Once this sleeve is installed, it is about 1/16" too long. The Crank pulley on this engine butts up to the crank timing chain pulley. So you can not have this sleeve longer than the pulley. You have to trim the sleeve. Since the sleeve is so thin, you have to do it after the sleeve is installed.

We did this with a dremel. We used a cone type grinding stone. This was relatively easily.
PULLEYSLEEVE1.jpg

PULLEYSLEEVE2.jpg

Notice the angle of the dremel tool. We are grinding the sleeve, without gouging the pulley.

PULLEYSLEEVE3.jpg

PULLEYSLEEVE4.jpg

After grinding the sleeve back, we took an emery cloth to smooth out any burrs on the edge.

I would suggest a little grease or assembly lube over the sleeve, before installing.

We will let SpaceMonkey chime in from time to time, to see if he has any problems.

SpaceMonkey

Reaction score
Good writeup James. I'm no test pig; I'm a test MONKEY! :biggrin:

Checked it this morning and it's leak free. :top:

I'll keep an eye on it for the next few weeks.

I'm really digging this lite crank pulley. As everyone says, the truck revs faster. We didn't run into any issues with the install. Breaking the crank bolt loose took a little leg power but we got it.

Big thanks to James for his tremendous help.

T0LLPHR33

"Catwoman"
Reaction score
make me want to send my crank pulley for the james mod...:biggrin:

nice write up...:top: looking forward to seeing his reviews...

SpaceMonkey

Reaction score
Pics from this morning. On the close-up shot, that's not oil from the crank. It's sealant.

IMG_2144.jpg

IMG_2146.jpg

x20Runner05

Reaction score
Good writeup bro. Looks like someone was a draftsman or something with those pics.

Slywhitty

"Midget Magnet"
Reaction score
looks like i may finally install my crank pulley. def keepin an eye on this to see if its the cure.. How much do those sleeves cost? im sure not alot.

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score
Slywhitty, we should grab a case, and hook up one of these nice days, I have some pullies waiting to go on as well... mod day!!!

end of T/J

Nice work Coupester!!!

Slywhitty

"Midget Magnet"
Reaction score
Slywhitty, we should grab a case, and hook up one of these nice days, I have some pullies waiting to go on as well... mod day!!!

end of T/J

Nice work Coupester!!!

if i get the sleeve for the pulley im down..

end t/j

KETCHUP

Reaction score
nice write up Coupe! do u think this trick will fix a pulley that is already grooved causing leakin? I don't have any problems with mine so far and its been on for a while now.....

Coupe

Reaction score
nice write up Coupe! do u think this trick will fix a pulley that is already grooved causing leakin? I don't have any problems with mine so far and its been on for a while now.....

Yes. This will fix a grooved pulley, (stock or aftermarket). This is what this sleeve is made for.

KETCHUP

Reaction score
cool. thought so. I won't mess with mine unless it leaks. very innovative coupester.....as always!

Vince77

Reaction score
Great Idea Coupe. I got to remember this thread if I get a leak down the road... or if I get froggy and want to take some shit apart.

07SWB

Reaction score
very nice James!

I would imagine kragen or vatozone would have something like that sleeve in stock.. Hell, they had a front wheel bearing kit with seals in stock for my 87 transam lol

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
nope

kragen and vato zone dont have it...

napa has one for the rear pinion...

Advanced... nothing

Pep boys, nothing...

Car quest...nothing

Then agian, sometimes you have to call them...:stupid:

Top Bottom