Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Coupe Oil Pan Spacer

Coupe

Reaction score
Installing a Coupe Oil Pan Spacer

A special thanks goes out to Motonxruchick184 for being the guinea pig for this product.

Kit comes with:

1. Oil Pan Spacer.

2. Tear drop oil pick up tube spacer.

3. Stainless bolts, washers & lock washers.

4. Two (2) Toyota gaskets for the oil pick up spacer.

5. One tube of Toyota FIPG.

Drain engine oil.

Jack up front of truck and install jack stands. Chock rear wheels.

Take all of the bolts out of the stock oil pan.

With all of the bolts out, pry off oil pan. Sometimes is you take a soft faced hammer and whack it, it will pop off. Sometimes it is easier to place a flat blade screwdriver between flange and engine block to separate the pan from the block.

Clean off oil gasket material off of engine block. Steel wool does a good job of this. This is what it should look like.

oilpan005-2.jpg

This next step is suggested, but is not absolutely necessary. Grind the outer flange flush of the oil pan in the area of my fingers. The area around this bolt hole is where the single stud goes (this will come up later in the write-up). Removing this material will help placing and tightening the hex nut that goes on this stud. After grinding down these areas (I used a bench grinder) touch up the area with some black engine paint.

OSpacer003.jpg

OSpacer007.jpg

OSpacer004.jpg

There are two bolts that hold the oil pick up tube to the engine block. Remove these.

I use a Q-tip and clean the oil out of the bolt holes. The kit comes with a tear drop spacer. Place one gasket on each side of this spacer. The oil pick up tube goes on one side, the engine block on the other side. The kit comes with stainless bolts, washers & lock washers. I used a blue loctite (242) on the threads. Toyota says to torque the bolts to 80 in/ft. I went a little higher to 100 in/ft.

OilPanIIb022.jpg

oilpan011-1.jpg

OSpacer019.jpg

Go put your oil pan bolts, washers & lock washers together and place conveniently to yourself under the truck. This is an important step as the Toyota FIPG is time sensitive. You need to install the pan in 15 minutes after coating the flange on the oil pan.

Take the oil pan spacer and trial fit to the engine block. Coat the side that mates to the engine block with the FIPG. Just coat the side that mates to the engine. Don't go crazy with the FIPG. When you snug up the bolts, this will ooze everywhere. Loosely bolt to engine block. Place all bolts, except one special hole. Note the placement of the single stud in the pic below. Hand tighten the bolts (or torque to 20 ~ 30 in/ft lbs.) Screw the single stud into the block. Let this FIPG set for an hour.

OSpacer024.jpg

After an hour, remove all of the bolts, leave the stud in place (no hex nut installed). The FIPG will hold the spacer into place.
OilPanSpacerBrit100911035.jpg

As before, get your bolts, lock washer, and washers together, conveniently located near you.

Coat the flange of the oil pan with FIPG. Locate the oil pan over the spacer. Place all of your bolts loosely into place. Leave the stud for last. Hand snug the bolts. Then torque all of the bolts (except the stud.)

OilPanSpacerBrit100911037.jpg

I set my torque wrench at 50 in/lbs. Torque from the inside and work your way outward. See diagram. Follow 1, 2, 3, etc.

torqueii.jpg

Then I set the wrench at 100 in /lbs (Toyota says 80 in/lbs). Do the same torque procedure. Do 1, 2, 3, etc.

Go put the hex nut on the stud. You may need to cuss a little to get it on properly. After you get it started, you will have to tighten it with a box end wrench. You will not be able to get a socket on it.
OilPanSpacerBrit100911041.jpg

OilPanSpacerBrit100911044.jpg

I let the pan set for a few hours to let the Toyota FIPG get a good bond.

Put the drain plug in the pan and tighten.

Replace oil filter.

Fill pan with 6 quarts of oil. Start engine. Let run for a minute and turn off engine.

Check oil. You may need to add ½ ~ 1 quart depending on your oil filter size. We used a large oil filter and the capacity was 7 quarts.

Run for a few minutes and check for oil leaks.

Finished installation, tucks nicely behind cross mamber.

OilPanSpacerBrit100911046.jpg

OilPanSpacerBrit100911038.jpg

Murderface

Reaction score
Nice write up James! Now where do I go to buy one of these spacers? I don't see u listed anywhere in a thread or under the vendor section

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Awesome piece of security. Excellent write up. Purpose built, and one of the most worthy upgrades available.

gregincali

Reaction score
Like always James, Nice work. I'm mot spending anything on the X right now, But if I was this would be on my list.:top:

98_mud_bug

Reaction score
so would this help prevent the lack of oil goin to the bearings and such if you get sideways?

Coupe

Reaction score
It's an improvement. You get extra oil capacity, but no baffles.

It's an improvement at at reasonable price.

If you have the money to spend, the full baffled oil pan is the way to go.

STONER-X

Reaction score
hay coupe.. just wondering..... now the spacer kit will clearly set the pick up tube in a lower position....

so apples to apples right

dose the pick up tube spacer put the pick up tube in a lower position over the stock orientation??

im not sure if that makes since so ill word it different and you can pick

is the oil pick up tube in a "lower" location meaning is it closer to the bottom of the pan over the stock set up.....

here we go

does it sit lower in the oil

:laugh:

pick one i think i made my question clear lol.... :laugh:

Coupe

Reaction score
The oil pan pick up tube sets the same distance from the bottom of the oil after the modification.

The oil pan spacer and the spacer for the oil pick up tube are the same height. This put the oil pick up tube at the same distance from the bottom of the pan as a stock pan.

This also means the bottom of the oil pan sets 1" lower than stock and there is 1" additional layer of oil over the stock pan.

Top Bottom