Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Detroit TrueTrac LSD???

AFP520

Reaction score
If the diffs are 8.4" then I'm sure they are already out there, but I tried looking and wasn't sure. Gadget would know. I'm looking into replacing the stock LSD with a TrueTrac. Gear driven is better than clutch packs.

Gadget

Reaction score
The new diffs are different then the old ones from the first Gen Taco.

The good new is that the carrier is the same. So, you can install a TrueTrac from a Gen I 8.4 Taco and it will fit just fine. I have one in my X.

Gadget

AFP520

Reaction score
The new diffs are different then the old ones from the first Gen Taco.

The good new is that the carrier is the same. So, you can install a TrueTrac from a Gen I 8.4 Taco and it will fit just fine. I have one in my X.

Gadget
SWEEET! Got a part number by chance? I don't wanna spend a huge amount on it if I don't have to.

XrunnIT

Reaction score
what difference would you see performing this swap?

Matt's06

Reaction score
what difference would you see performing this swap?

the clutches in the oem LSD wear out quickly. If yours are worn and you only get one tire to spin than this will cure that.

uh60rotorhead

Reaction score
So, if our LSD's wear out, you have to replace the whole unit? you can't just replace the "clutch" part?

Matt's06

Reaction score
So, if our LSD's wear out, you have to replace the whole unit? you can't just replace the "clutch" part?

I am pretty sure you can, but if some people have already worn theirs out after 1-2 years, I don't think it would be worth it.

AFP520

Reaction score
It's cheaper to just buy the truetrac and have it installed. Then it's set for life.

I dunno why on earth Toyota decided to go with clutch pack lsds :thumpdown:

x-runner kid

Reaction score
Go to URD's site they sell it there and from the other sites I have looked price wise it's pretty much the same.

Nashman

Reaction score
I must really chime in here

The stock lsd is weak from the factory this can be solved with a kit or just by re shimming the clutch pack it's self

the lsd is made weak on purpose for tire life and this can be easly fixed I have thread about it you just shim the main spring with washers our just buy the kit and it's super cheap. the kit is better thou since it comes with the clutch shims and helper spring. all for 40 bucks

I truly love clutch packs and ture tracks but the true track is great for short wheel base turning as long as you don't lift a tire. on a live axle they can be trouble some with a leaf pack because of tire lift and our trucks have bad axle wrap cause a fugly feeling at times

toyota clutch at metal and not to be confused with other 4 point carbon shitty diffs that ware out super fast and then have to replace the pack ours you just re shim

Last edited:
Top Bottom