Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Tinny sounding headers?

wolfpack_5150

Jangley
Reaction score
after installing thorley longtubes, I noticed a ping/tin like sound to the engine bay......I ASSUME its just the headers, and want to know if anyone else has noticed the same.

Leaks up at the studs wont be easy to trace due to the normal racket of our trucks engine.....

NO, i did not use any RTV,
YES I did use new oem gaskets up top, and new URD gaskets at the collector/y pipe.
Yes I did use proper tq and pattern
YES I did retorque all the nuts/bolts after 2 heat cycles.
NO, the noise is not heat/cold dependent

these are the second version of long tubes with the 2 bungs per header..... the single primary is capped, and I am using the collector bung for my 02 sensor.

also installed URD y pipe.......................and the 3" exhaust (URD MK2)...............and the exhaust is soo raspy its hard to tell under load from insde the truck whats making the most annoying sound.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
What about the bracket from the trans to header flange? Is it loose?

Gadget

Reaction score
The headers will have a slight tinny sound. This is way the OEM manifold is double walled, to retain heat for cat light off and to make them more quiet.

You can check for leaks by using a piece of fuel line. Put one end in your ear and then pass the other end around all the joints with the engine idling. If you pass that hose over a leak you will know right away.

G

wolfpack_5150

Jangley
Reaction score
The headers will have a slight tinny sound. This is way the OEM manifold is double walled, to retain heat for cat light off and to make them more quiet.

You can check for leaks by using a piece of fuel line. Put one end in your ear and then pass the other end around all the joints with the engine idling. If you pass that hose over a leak you will know right away.

G

Thank you Gadget!

:rockon:

TacomaGus

Reaction score
Interesting about the source of this noise after header install. I've also noticed that my truck has become more "tingy/pingy" since the long tube install, glad to see its normal

wolfpack_5150

Jangley
Reaction score
Interesting about the source of this noise after header install. I've also noticed that my truck has become more "tingy/pingy" since the long tube install, glad to see its normal

Exactly........I've heard it before but those times were open headers on a v8....its tinny.....that's the best way I can think to describe it. Don't get me wrong, on those cars they still had the sound of a v8, nice and guttural....just followed by a tinny sound at idle.

So when I installed them on the truck and the exhaust, I wasn't sure if I had a leak or if it was the headers......these trucks are not v8's, so I had no clue if it was normal.

I don't see any scorch marks yet, so I think/hope im golden

Imprezz

Reaction score
Good information for when I get mine. Stay golden pony boy... haha j/k

wolfpack_5150

Jangley
Reaction score
Good information for when I get mine. Stay golden pony boy... haha j/k

be careful how much u free up the exhaust if ur n/a

I lost a lot of low end tq after headers, y pipe and the mk2 exhaust.

it was soo noticable, I went to the dealership the next business day and bought the supercharger....true story :disappointed:

nutt14

Reaction score
same

wow I had the same issue and it was driving me crazy, I kept checking everywhere for leaks and swore there hard to be one. Good to know its a normal sound, now I wish I would of checked the forums sooner so I wouldn't of wasted all that damn time looking for a leak ><

wolfpack_5150

Jangley
Reaction score
wow I had the same issue and it was driving me crazy, I kept checking everywhere for leaks and swore there hard to be one. Good to know its a normal sound, now I wish I would of checked the forums sooner so I wouldn't of wasted all that damn time looking for a leak ><

sorry I didnt ask sooner :frown:

Its a distraction when ur cruising along next to a wall/fence isnt it?

memario1214

Reaction score
I'm a distraction to anything/everything including myself when my exhaust tip is within 15 feet of about anything... I'm so loud, especially now lol.

wolfpack_5150

Jangley
Reaction score
I'm a distraction to anything/everything including myself when my exhaust tip is within 15 feet of about anything... I'm so loud, especially now lol.

I was under the impression ur truck was VERY quiet right now :thumbdown:

Wonder what that tiny sound sounds like

buy me go pro 3 and Ill record it for you :top:

Last edited:

memario1214

Reaction score
I was under the impression ur truck was VERY quiet right now :thumbdown:

Truth... That post was made the night before my blow up... It is VERY QUIET right now. Toyota hasn't even touched it yet. They best be having it done by next week.

Top Bottom