Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

mk2 exhaust and spare tire problem

wolfpack_5150

Jangley
Reaction score
Hey erryone....... I did buy the truck used when it had 20K on the odometer, so its possible the prior owner screwed something up, but Ill post this up anyhow.

I bought the URD MK2 catback (amongst a few other goodies).......But, when I tried to install it with my spare tire on (265/75/16) The piping hit the tire and I was forced to remove the spare. I am NOT an xrunner, so its possible that this is simply just a non X problem. BUUUUUT Im wondering if anyone else out there has had the same issue Im running into.

If I get the last hanger bent enough to clear the spare, I think the tip would be soo far past my fender line that it would look terrible.

I do have the supplied center/center magnaflow mufler if that helps.

FWIW, prior to this I had zero problems with the spare and stock exhaust working together.............So I know it worked before.

xrgilly

Reaction score
my guess is that the exhaust is designed to fit in place with the x runner spare 255/45/18 significantly smaller tire then your 265/75/16 time to buy a nice looking spare tire holder for the bed

wolfpack_5150

Jangley
Reaction score
my guess is that the exhaust is designed to fit in place with the x runner spare 255/45/18 significantly smaller tire then your 265/75/16 time to buy a nice looking spare tire holder for the bed

I was afraid of that........................ after 6K in go fast goodies, I now possibly need brakes and a spare tire carrier.

:disappointed:

Gadget

Reaction score
The URD Cat-Back is designed to fit all the trucks, but specifically the XRunner. It was made to clear the rear sway bar and properly fit the cutout in the XRunner's body kit.

In all these years we have never had a report of a spare tire interference problem on the XRunner or any other Tacoma. Just FYI- most of the systems are installed on trucks other than XRunners.

G

wolfpack_5150

Jangley
Reaction score
The URD Cat-Back is designed to fit all the trucks, but specifically the XRunner. It was made to clear the rear sway bar and properly fit the cutout in the XRunner's body kit.

In all these years we have never had a report of a spare tire interference problem on the XRunner or any other Tacoma. Just FYI- most of the systems are installed on trucks other than XRunners.

G

Thanks G

Guess Ill hit the muffler shop Monday and see WTF is going on under there.

I rlly dont want to put my spare in the bed of the truck, its a huge waste of space IMHO and more $$ to get a carrier

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score
Hmmm, been a while since I looked at the muffler but is it on backwards?

Can't recall if its a center in/center out muffler, also it's possible a hanger got bent somewhere along the line...

Good luck with the install, remember to wipe off all the greasy fingerprints before you fire it up or they will become permanent on the exhaust :top:

wolfpack_5150

Jangley
Reaction score
Hmmm, been a while since I looked at the muffler but is it on backwards?

Can't recall if its a center in/center out muffler, also it's possible a hanger got bent somewhere along the line...

Good luck with the install, remember to wipe off all the greasy fingerprints before you fire it up or they will become permanent on the exhaust :top:

its center/center

trucks already been running a few days so Im sure its got some prints on it that nobody will see anyhow :laugh:

Super Werty

Reaction score
might be dumb question but was the spare properly aligned up on the spare carrying device or whatever its called...I know with larger sidewalls like mine it can move around left and right if not centered.

wolfpack_5150

Jangley
Reaction score
might be dumb question but was the spare properly aligned up on the spare carrying device or whatever its called...I know with larger sidewalls like mine it can move around left and right if not centered.

Ill double check tomorrow.....im pretty sure the piping is actually intruding on the carriers "leg" nearest the passenger side of the truck.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Take pictures and post them up. Multiple angles will help.

Blasphemous

Reaction score
I ran into this same exact issue last night.

Stock spare tire, no way the exhaust was going to clear the spare tire.

I meant to take pictures, but I was pretty frustrated and spent at that point.

wolfpack_5150

Jangley
Reaction score
You can make it fit....

I ran into this same exact issue last night.

Stock spare tire, no way the exhaust was going to clear the spare tire.

I meant to take pictures, but I was pretty frustrated and spent at that point.

sorry to hear that......... frustrating as hell isnt it?

Heres what we did last week............cut, spread, cut, bend, cut hanger, make new hanger, then SALUTE THE BITCH......she thought she was gunna win this fight and forces me to lose half my bed space or spend another $200.00 on a tire carrier... I said no, for $530.00 ur gunna fit, or be thrown away and pissed on.

before
601726_624124387612786_2037494889_n.jpg

941243_624124384279453_2063301678_n.jpg

AFTER

580265_624124420946116_149755564_n.jpg

The tire looks closer than it really is in this picture.........its not tho, as evidence by the pic above

1328_624124434279448_1965982092_n.jpg

My salute to this bitch..........again, refer to above pics for true grasp of how far the exhaust is from the tire now

1003713_624124484279443_1538083522_n.jpg

Im no fabricator, but having 2 heads is better than 1......... I came up with some ideas that worked out and helped the welder/fab guy (Kevin at Rock Solid mufflers and bedliner in Paso Robles)

I really wish this fit as stated
URD 3" stainless Cat-Back fits all access cab trucks and double cab short beds too. (not for double cab long beds)

I have 2 other people with this problem on TW, but they wish to remain un named so I have to respect that..... Sucks tho, we need more people to come forward... are we just the 4 out of hundreds who got an oddball system?

Ive spent over 7 grand at URD, and have been happy with everything but the fitment on this exhaust..... Its now about a $700.00 exhaust :atomic:

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
A mighty fine custom exhaust you got there. ;) lol

Gadget

Reaction score
I am baffled about these "secret" people that are having a fitment issue.

We have been shipping this system for a very long time and have heard from one person with a fitment problem in all these years. Maybe you could have these secret people contact URD directly and then we can evaluate the situation better.

G

wolfpack_5150

Jangley
Reaction score
I am baffled about these "secret" people that are having a fitment issue.

We have been shipping this system for a very long time and have heard from one person with a fitment problem in all these years. Maybe you could have these secret people contact URD directly and then we can evaluate the situation better.

G

I'll ask them but I can't force em. I think there's another person or two who posted publically that I can link u to.

Well actually there's the other guy here in this thread, so u got two here. I also called u about it months ago and got the same response..... That's why I was forced to chop it up and fix it.

As for the people who PM'd me, I'm not giving their names out of respect for them.... But I'll try and get them to call.

Http://www.xr-underground.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=49631

I'm baffled I seem to have had the only urd tcai with maf sensor fitment issues too.

Why me?

These are all simple installs.

Last edited:

wolfpack_5150

Jangley
Reaction score
just got this PM from a person on TW, about 2 minutes ago...............Im hoping I can get him to post here and or call you to verify Gadget..... Its a great system and sounds awesome.... I hope theres something simple that can get figured out if more people can verify problems on non xrunners.

Spare tire did not fit at all. I had a 265/75/16 spare did not fit. I even went as far trying to fit a 245/75/16 for another tacoma did not fit.

It's needs to curve around the spare maybe 2-3 inchs out.

I wish I took a picture before I chopped it up

the above PM was from Wildlandtaco on tacomaworld..................he gave me greenlight to post his name.

Last edited:

Gadget

Reaction score
If people have a problem with anything from URD I need them to contact URD and let me know about it.

If they do not do that I do not know about it.

G

gbuds

Reaction score
I have had the same exact issue with spare not fitting, although spare size on TRD Sport is a 265/65/17. I don''t think this is an isolated occurrence. I just chucked it in the bed and deal with all the loss of space.

Top Bottom