Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

1GR Aftermarket camshafts

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Here is the thread to start the discussion, as the other thread in the vendor section hasn't had much traction.

We as a group might be able to get more done.

Let the discussion begin.

Who knows. One of the more regular vendors might even be able to get something done, through there contacts.

Edit****** Here is the part number for Kelford Cams, of a specific profile which doesn't interfere with VVT-I, according to Kelford. L132x/l74i. Give that part number to any company whom has an account with Motovicity. Roughly 38-40 wtq gains.

Last edited:

rennurx

Reaction score
All I can do is say I'm gonna want them..

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
That's a given. Lol.

Do you know of any cam manufacturers besides Kelford?

rennurx

Reaction score
There's a lot of cam company's unless u drive a Tacoma 1gr-fe lol

Comp
Lunati
Howards
Crower
Crane
isky racing

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Already talked with Crower. They will do regrinds, but at the time, would not make new ground camshafts.

I do not know if any of the listed companies will make them for the 1GR?

I do know that Comp Cams makes cams for DOHC American engines. So the might, and I use that term loosely. Someone just needs to make some calls and ask the questions.

Web Camshafts does "make" cams for the 1GR. But you have to send them in a set to cut, weld, and regrind to the spec of choice.

Here are the specs of my camshafts, for a point of reference:

Kelford Camshafts Stage 2 Turbo cams.

Total duration 265 intake, 270 exhaust.
Duration at 1mm valve lift, 225 inlet, 231 exhaust.
Total valve lift with lash set, 10.55mm inlet, 10.75mm exhaust.

If I remember the conversation correctly, the OEM total durations are 232 intake, and 236 exhaust.

Last edited:

rennurx

Reaction score
Well my engine is apart anyways so I could always send them in.. I just worry that they wouldn't be as strong being welded and regrinded and not just made entirely from scratch?

Also i think a company would be more interested in making them if it wasn't just some Joe calling in asking..

Last edited:

trd_sport

Reaction score
Elgincams.com
Compcams.com / camquest online
Try those

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
It is an option, depending on the time frame that you have. When APR built Paul's engine, I am pretty sure that they used Web Camshafts for their specific needs.

They were coated and very nice looking. They have done that for thousands of vehicles. Proven to work, although I can see how there could be a possible downside.

TTC Performance and LC Engineering both use Web Camshafts for their '1GR' cams.

The problem that Southernmost had with his, is as if assembly-lube was never used during assembly and start-up.

If oil or assembly-lube aren't used during assembly, massive scoring or pitting is bound to happen, no matter the brand of camshafts.

Well my engine is apart anyways so I could always send them in.. I just worry that they wouldn't be as strong being welded and regrinded and not just made entirely from scratch?

Also i think a company would be more interested in making them if it wasn't just some Joe calling in asking..

Not necessarily. I called up MoserEngineering and asked about having Toyota axle shafts made. They said to send them in. Unrelated part, but similar scenario.

Any one think of asking Dezod or URD? Since they have contacts at Motovicity.

Last edited:

rennurx

Reaction score
If I knew anything about cams besides the fact I want them. I'd call..

How do your cams work? Are they just built in and go or is there something else needed.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
You don't know how to ask if they can? ;)

Whitebeauty

Reaction score
I still have those other ones that need to be reground. They might work for ya Rennurx

rennurx

Reaction score
Haha no I can ask I just don't know enough to tell them what I need lol..

and what cams are they?

Whitebeauty

Reaction score

and what cams are they?

Its been awhile but if im not mistake they r TTC stage 2 i have the specs in my email somewhere.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score

and what cams are they?

That is all that is necessary. Should I do a flow chart? Lol

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
So lets look at who we have, that I am aware of, that has contacts at Motovicity for Kelford Cams.

Dezod

Darton East

URD (?)

I wonder if Brian Crower has thought about making cams? That would be another company to ask.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Here is what I am looking for. A company that can get them, knows which other parts might be necessary to run them, and can get them readily without hassle or questions.

Say a mild cam over N/A is wanted. That will have a "specific" grind. Hypothetically, it is understood that there is no need to upgrade the valve springs and retainers.

If more aggressive cam profiles are wanted, then the necessary complementary parts would be listed as well.

Gadget

Reaction score
I have been trying to get good info on these cams for a while now.

They are very poor at communication and so on.

As soon as I have something nailed down I will let you all know, but it has been pretty frustrating so far.

G

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Trust me Gadget. I feel your frustrations. Took a looooooooong time just to get the specs for my custom grind. If you didn't have to go through Motovicity, things would be a lot easier. :/

Gadget

Reaction score
I have a guy in NZ that may help with communication, I hope.

G

Top Bottom