1GR Came Unglued

Discussion in 'F/I Mods & Tuning' started by akakrill, Sep 8, 2014.

1. akakrill

akakrill Member

Open Loop
    LOD 99%
    Water Temp 186
    RPM 4664
    MPH 73
    IGN 13 deg.
    Intake Temp 67 deg.
    Throttle 80%

No knock lite, no AFR blip, no check engine lite, no signs or signals just boooom, clink, snap, crack bang, tsssssssssssssss.

So I don't know wtf happened but there is 2 holes in my block and a rod is hanging out of the larger one.
    See Pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#1 akakrill, Sep 8, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
  2. Gadget

Gadget Well-Known Member

Damn, that sucks.

When you say the CPU is jacked up, what does that mean?

G

3. akakrill

akakrill Member

Large hole is on the driver side under the starter motor, small hole is opposite on passenger side at about the same location.. What makes a rod just fail? I was making an estimate 6 lbs of boost at the time.

I meant my home computer was acting up so I want to post the write up then the pics next incase I got the blue screen as I was trying to type... not the ECU. Although I have no idea what it may have been. I was gonna call you to ask can you do the sleeve job with a new block... mine is unusable. Removed the reference... the posts were auto merged.

#3 akakrill, Sep 8, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
  4. Slywhitty

Slywhitty "Midget Magnet"

His computer is messed up. Having issues posting the pics. Not anything to with the truck. I had to read it twice to get it lol

5. Gadget

Gadget Well-Known Member

Lets hope your heads and valves are OK. If that that will bring the cost down a good bit.

G

6. Braking Bad

Braking Bad Member

That sucks. Sorry to see.

7. akakrill

akakrill Member

Who do I call to get parts for this? G, do any of your assemblies come with the block for extra?

8. hottacoX

hottacoX Moderator
    Staff Member

Shitty deal man! Take some time and make er right, and maybe bump up to a c-91 blower....

9. Super Werty

Super Werty Active Member

I suggest using the UCON next time

10. Gadget

Gadget Well-Known Member

I have a couple of cores. We can get you fixed up.

A used engine would be a lot faster to get you up and running. I can help you there also.

G

11. SgtBadA

SgtBadA Active Member

Wow thats crazy, what do you think happened? What does a bare block notor run for usually?

12. TLR

TLR New Member

Damn that sucks..... I hope the outcome is awesome though.....

13. Torspd

Torspd Moderator
    Staff Member

How long since the last oil change, which weight oil, and was it Dexos or not?

14. akakrill

akakrill Member

Oil just changed last week and a coolant flush. Oil is mobile 1 synthetic, oil pressure was between 60 and 80psi at that rpm. Believe the weight was 5w30.

Thanks G, I'm in no rush to get it back on the road, next summer or fall would be acceptable to me. I feel as though I should put forged internals in since that was the only thing I can determine failed so far.

If you know the path back to operational, I want to know it. Shall I email or call URD? What information would you need? I plan on removing accessories and prepping the motor to come out.

I sincerely appreciate anything you can do to bail me out on this one. I wish I knew what the root cause of this was, maybe they'll be more clues as I open it up.

#14 akakrill, Sep 9, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
  15. Gators Taco

Gators Taco <a . href="http://www.xr-underground.com/forum/sho

Sorry to hear about the X :bawling:. Having some issue with mine :hmmmm2:. Started using oil all of a sudden. Time for a swap to something better.

16. Torspd

Torspd Moderator
    Staff Member

What was your rev limiter set to ?

17. sdxrunner619

sdxrunner619 Active Member

....and thats exactly how my last chapter ended. Best of luck to you:top:

18. akakrill

akakrill Member

Limiter was set to 5900 but I was at 4650ish when it let go, I think that's a wrist pin hanging out of the block in the picture, this may have been a cylinder issue.

19. NHXRUNNER

NHXRUNNER "New Hampster"
    Staff Member

When I got the text "bad bad bad news...." my heart sank. Couldn't believe it when you told me. How could this happen at 20K? You let us know when you need us and we'll be there to turn wrenches!

Question Billy, was that the only time you gave it the beans on the ride home? Prior to it going up in smoke when was the last time you really got on it? Curious if had been a ticking time bomb or if this really did just come out of the blue.

20. akakrill

akakrill Member

I had made multiple accelerations over the Kank (NH Rt.112). It was probably the 4th hard pull of the drive home. I was passing a vehicle in order to keep the CFM airflow through the radiator. I feel if this did not happen here that it would have happened on the way to Xfest. I don't know if the weird noise and white mist in your drive way had anything to do with it. Perhaps it was a crack that let out super heated coolant as mist, when the pressure dropped it stopped spiting. Perhaps the rearmost driver side cylinder was being effected by the crack or uneven cooling and seized the piston at the top of the stroke and the other 5 pistons ripped the wrist pin out of its bottom and banged around the block as the crankshaft continued. This is just a wild guess. :thumbdown:

G, I sent URD an email asking for some advice and quotes with options. I'm dead serious this will be rebuilt. I have no car payments so I can afford a car parts payment. lol.