Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

1st Gear Problem

XPC_XR

Reaction score
I am not even sure if its a big problem or anything because right now its just an annoyance. Sometimes when I am at a stoplight and go to put the truck into 1st it doesnt really want to. As in I either have to give it some force or i let the clutch out and put it back in then it will go easier. By the 2nd time I slides in like nothing.

Other notes
I am at a stop everytime and I only have 3,200mi on my 06.

I will be going into toyota for my 1st oil change Sat. Should I have them look into it? Will I have to pay anything to even have them check that out?

nblazing

Reaction score
the only problem wiich isnt a problem but when i am coming to a stop without downshifting and i have the clutch in trying to put it in first is hard so i just barly apply preasure and when it slows down it goes with no problem so i dunno man

Stevenredx

Reaction score
every manual drive car will do this.. if your not to a complete stop and you try to put it in first it is hard because the syncos have not lined up correctly. If you wait until your stopped and should go in no problem. Its been like that on every manual i have driven :top:

nblazing

Reaction score
yeah i figujred that because i mean its not a problem like i stated its just something i discovered but i did figure that it had something to do with the synchronizers

X-Rizzo

Reaction score
Try this next time: Put it as far into first as it will go and slowly let the clutch out while still puting pressure on the shifter. It should just slide right in after that.

XPC_XR

Reaction score
every manual drive car will do this.. if your not to a complete stop and you try to put it in first it is hard because the syncos have not lined up correctly. If you wait until your stopped and should go in no problem. Its been like that on every manual i have driven :top:

I had that part firgured out, so I assume that is for the other guy.

Try this next time: Put it as far into first as it will go and slowly let the clutch out while still puting pressure on the shifter. It should just slide right in after that.
Ok I will try that. So is it normal to not always want to go into 1st when your at a light? :hmmmm2:

wshsbears

Reaction score
its a synchro thing in all manual trannys.. its supposed to be like that, theres no issue and ur not doin nething wrong, just let the clutch out and push it back in, it should go in, or shift to 2nd then first again and it should go in.

XPC_XR

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help guys, this is my 1st manual so all the input helped. :top:

XMan

Reaction score
Call me crazy but, I had the same problem until I changed my driving habits. I kept getting locked out of second downshifting. Once locked out of second, i could not get it in any gear for a short period. It could get critical if turning into traffic. My Shifting RPM range used to be between 1600 to 2000. Well I changed that and the lock outs have ceased to exist. My RPM range now is around 2000 and 2700. I tried deparatly to save gas before. I did loose about 10 to 20 miles to the tank, However the truck has become alot more fun to drive plus minus the lockouts. Just my 2 cents

Ballin_xrunner

Reaction score
Give it a little rev when your clutch is in then it should slide in thats what i did when that happened to me

Speedway_06

Reaction score
not to thread jack but has anyone had problems with 4th gear, or any gear, popping out for no reason? I did a search and found nothing. Just recently I have been having this problem and I just hit 20,000. Any ideas?

XRobber

Reaction score
The popping out of gear problem is the big problem people have had with the XRunners.
This is what the dealership is replacing trannies for (you have to be able to duplicate it for them).
Good luck... some of us have ZERO problems with our trannies

Speedway_06

Reaction score
It only happens in fourth and probably only about 2-3 times a week. I put over 300+ miles a week on the truck so I doubt I will get it replicated with a toyota tech in the truck, unless of course they want to ride around all week with me

RedX

Reaction score
I am not even sure if its a big problem or anything because right now its just an annoyance. Sometimes when I am at a stoplight and go to put the truck into 1st it doesnt really want to. As in I either have to give it some force or i let the clutch out and put it back in then it will go easier. By the 2nd time I slides in like nothing.

Other notes
I am at a stop everytime and I only have 3,200mi on my 06.

I will be going into toyota for my 1st oil change Sat. Should I have them look into it? Will I have to pay anything to even have them check that out?

I have the same problem. I just put it into 2nd and then back into 1st and it works fine.

stretch200

Reaction score
It only happens in fourth and probably only about 2-3 times a week. I put over 300+ miles a week on the truck so I doubt I will get it replicated with a toyota tech in the truck, unless of course they want to ride around all week with me

You could try to get a video of it popping out of gear. :dontknow:

X-Runnin

Reaction score
I recently have been having a problem when passing on highways, I usually downshift to 4th and get the rpms to about 4000-4500 and when I try to shift to 5th all it does is scratch.. I have the clutch all the way down and it has only started happening after I put the URD SS in... Anyone else have this prob?

Bobby B

Reaction score
I put redline synthetic in my M/T and it's alot smoother now. Although, I would credit this to break in. I'm at 4K. Give it some time :top:

XPC_XR

Reaction score
I have the same problem. I just put it into 2nd and then back into 1st and it works fine.

Yeah I tryed that on the way home at a light when it felt a little stiff. Worked fine when i went to 2nd then to 1st.

Top Bottom