Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

1st Into 2nd.

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
She grinds at almost redline (not all the time) 1st going into 2nd; is this one of the problems people have been having with the trans? Where do I go from here...

Last edited:

Stevenredx

Reaction score
Let the dealer check it out this way they atleast have record of prior problems if anything else should arise in the future. Also may have to do alittle arguing with them to get anything done about it :top:

morcheez

Reaction score
yeah i would definately leave out the word "redline" at the dealership

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
Thats the only time it does it. How would I word it? "Driving spiritedly"

Stevenredx

Reaction score
there isnt any rules saying you can't redline your truck, just explain to them it does it when your accelerating pretty quickly... tell them thats why you bought the x-runner and not a 4x4 (you wanna drive it like it was designed to be driven) :top:

rx-runner

Reaction score
mine did that the other night and it caused me to lose the race:motz:

xmoney

Reaction score
i changed my tranny fluid and have had decent luck with mine now grinding now.

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
I am pretty pissed - my truck has lest then 2,500 miles on it and it ONLY grinds second in higher (5,000) RPMs. I expressed this to Toyota and im bringing it in Monday to diagnose. What are some things I can expect them to tell me? What should I tell them? What if I get the run around?

X-Runnin

Reaction score
I think the 1st to 2nd scratch happens to more than 50% of x-runner owners, especially when it is new... I couldn't shift over 4500 in first but could redline every other gear and be fine, but after about 12000 miles the truck can redline everything and shift perfectly.
I'd say about half of the people with the "trans problem" take it in and about 1/4 of those actually get something replace (if that makes any sense lol).

I didn't bother doing anything cuz I know my dealer has a bunch of retarded crack heads and all the problems went away without having to deal with the dealer's bull. Just my story lol.

J

JDUB916

Have any of you with the griding problem, changed your gear shift knob? I noticed the same problem when I changed my knob as it raised the top level higher which I think makes you pull the gear down differently. I would grind alot when switching gears. I put my stock knob back on and the problem has never occured again.

Xample

Reaction score
Have any of you with the griding problem, changed your gear shift knob? I noticed the same problem when I changed my knob as it raised the top level higher which I think makes you pull the gear down differently. I would grind alot when switching gears. I put my stock knob back on and the problem has never occured again.
dont know man i put a hurst thandle on and i luv it. i used to have probs on skippn my 2-3 upshift. now i can rip the gears more precise

07SWB

Reaction score
i used to grind bad when i had my smaller weighted shift knob on my truck.. i think it was like 340 grams... yes it was crazy heavy.

anyways, i put the stocker back on and the problems kinda went away, now i have the TRD knob and i love it, the only time the truck doesnt wanna go into 2nd is at low RPMs.. the shift gate is open, i put it in gear and it throws it back out. like a baby boy who doesnt like the food mom just gave him haha

azjimi

Reaction score
1st to 2nd is a tough shift in the X @ high rpms.....that's just the way it is for a lot of people cuz the tranny basically sucks. Short shifter helps as does Redline oil, but it doesn't cure it completely in my experience. Too bad too because that's the most important shift.

rpmspeedyblue

Reaction score
I don't have the URD or TRD SS I find shifting through gears in the higher RPM'S are smoother for me. Especially 1st into 2nd. I almost redline going into 2nd. So far there has not been a problem with griding. I have over 20k.

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
i used to grind bad when i had my smaller weighted shift knob on my truck.. i think it was like 340 grams... yes it was crazy heavy.

anyways, i put the stocker back on and the problems kinda went away, now i have the TRD knob and i love it, the only time the truck doesnt wanna go into 2nd is at low RPMs.. the shift gate is open, i put it in gear and it throws it back out. like a baby boy who doesnt like the food mom just gave him haha

What TRD knob do you have?

07speedwayblue

Reaction score
My truck shifts well out of first, but I don't push 1st above 3300-3500. I push 2nd, and 4th, the hardest.

I have been relying on 2nd and 4th for my get in front of you type of power.

It seems fine.

I use first as a gear just to get me going off the line.

Top Bottom