Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

2005 toyota truck tie-rod recall

DoubleD

Reaction score
Does anyone have any info on this? It was mentioned in my auto class last night. I'm a bit worried because my steering wheel is shaking during driving and the dealer is kinda blowing me off again.
DD

I have found a few articles about this, apparently some people have died in the US from this which makes sense if your wheels start flopping around!

Last edited:

DoubleD

Reaction score
I cant find much of any info on it. I need to call, but a guy read a news article from this last weeks register about 2005 Toyota pick ups having steering tie rods snapping causing almost 10 deaths and many crashes. Thats about all I know, I was wondering if anyone else has heard of anything??

shaggy08xr

Reaction score
You should ask 2006nightrider, because his is our local Toyota info hook up.

RedXRunner

"Splash Baby Douchecanoe"
Reaction score
Hopefully it's related to my t.o lol

They can fix that too!

2006nightrider

Reaction score
I thought this was from many years ago?
It was --->
2004 Japan-Only Recall

mm_spacer.gif
mm_spacer.gif
In 2004, the driver of a Toyota Hilux Surf lost steering control when a relay rod snapped while they were driving on a highway in Kumamoto, Japan. The truck careened over a median, striking another vehicle in oncoming traffic and injuring five people. Japanese police investigators determined that the cause of the accident was a defective steering relay rod on the Toyota. The defective relay rod fractured before the accident, causing the driver to lose control of the vehicle’s steering. The police asked local prosecutors to conduct a criminal investigation of three executives from Toyota's head office for professional negligence in their decision not to issue a recall or to take other safety measures on the affected Toyota vehicles.

The results of the Japanese investigation and the intense public outcry were deeply embarrassing for Toyota. In response, Toyota issued a recall of the affected vehicles, but only in Japan. Company executives refused to issue a recall in the United States for trucks with the same defective part.

The Japan-only recall was poorly implemented, and the Japanese government issued the company a rare reproof when it reprimanded Toyota for deficient recall practices. According to news reports, Toyota admitted that the recall was inadequate.

2005 United States Recall

mm_spacer.gif
mm_spacer.gif
On September 6, 2005, Toyota finally issued a recall to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) of approximately 978,000 Toyota trucks in the United States. The recall encompassed 1989-1995 Toyota 4Runners, 1989-1995 Toyota Pickups, and 1993-1998 Toyota T100s.

mm_spacer.gif
mm_spacer.gif
Toyota's steering rod recall in the United States was reminiscent of the Japanese recall. In its final quarterly report to NHTSA, Toyota acknowledged repairs to only 32% of the trucks identified in the recall. The NHTSA average pass/fail rate for recall repairs is approximately 70% and NHTSA has indicated their goal is closer to 79%.

mm_spacer.gif
mm_spacer.gif
Toyota has failed to disclose publicly to NHTSA whether the other estimated 538,000 vehicles have been repaired. Many, if not all, of these vehicles continue to drive on American streets every day.

mm_spacer.gif
mm_spacer.gif
The delay caused by Toyota's reluctance to acknowledge the existence of the defective part for more than 15 years, compounded by Toyota's decision to wait a year to issue a recall in the United States after it had issued one in Japan for the same defective part, prevented the company from reaching many of the trucks' current owners, some of which bought the vehicles used. In addition, many who were involved in accidents prior to the recall - sometimes years before - cannot prove that the defective rod was the cause of the accident because the truck was totally destroyed in the accident and then salvaged. Still others cannot seek compensation for their claims because they are outside the statute of limitations for filing suit against Toyota.

rich017

Reaction score
Does anyone have any info on this? It was mentioned in my auto class last night. I'm a bit worried because my steering wheel is shaking during driving and the dealer is kinda blowing me off again.
DD

I have found a few articles about this, apparently some people have died in the US from this which makes sense if your wheels start flopping around!

That sounds like warped rotors (get them turned) or bad ball joints and an alignment

My steering wheel shook really bad at highway speeds and I turned my rotors at school. Went away.

08x

Reaction score
as far as i no nothing has been said at the toyota dealership that i work at on the tacomas for tie rods i wil check in the morning when i get in but i havent seen anything yet

DoubleD

Reaction score
This info was from a news paper article that was from this week. I have to find the guy and ask him tuesday

2006nightrider

Reaction score
This info was from a news paper article that was from this week. I have to find the guy and ask him tuesday
This is why it was recently in the papers again (which relates to my post above^^) -->

May 7th, 2010

� Toyota waited nearly a year in 2005 to recall trucks and SUVs in the United States with defective steering rods, despite issuing a similar recall in Japan and receiving dozens of reports from American motorists about rods that snapped without warning, an Associated Press investigation has found.

The lengthy gap between the Japanese and U.S. recalls � strikingly similar to Toyota's handling of the recent recall for sudden acceleration problems � triggered a new investigation Monday by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, which could fine the automaker up to $16.4 million. That was also the amount Toyota paid last month in the acceleration case.

"Our team is working to obtain documents and information from Toyota to find out whether the manufacturer notified NHTSA within five business days of discovering a safety defect in U.S. vehicles," NHTSA Administrator David Strickland said in a statement.

Federal regulators "are taking this seriously and reviewing the facts to determine whether a timeliness investigation is warranted," NHTSA spokeswoman Karen Aldana told the AP in response to questions about the 2005 recall. An automaker is required to notify NHTSA about a defect within five days of determining one exists.

NHTSA has now linked 16 crashes, three deaths and seven injuries to the steering rod defect. When a steering rod snaps, the driver cannot control the vehicle because the front wheels will not turn.

The AP reviewed hundred of pages of court documents, including many of Toyota's internal communications from the period when the steering problems first emerged. The AP also analyzed government files and complaints from drivers who experienced trouble behind the wheel.
After the 2004 Japanese recall, Toyota claimed initially that it had scant evidence of a steering rod problem among U.S. trucks and SUVs. But the AP found that the automaker had received at least 52 reports from U.S. drivers about the defect before vehicles were recalled in Japan.
Toyota told the AP that it has now confirmed seven total cases in the U.S. of steering problems in the T100 small pickup and no reports of accidents or injuries. Company spokesman Brian Lyons said Monday that the automaker received an information request from NHTSA and intended to cooperate with the agency's inquiry.

Toyota claimed in a 2004 letter to NHTSA obtained by the AP that driving conditions in Japan were so different from those on U.S. roads that a recall was not necessary for 4Runner SUVs and T100 pickup trucks, known in Japan as the Hilux and Hilux Surf. That was despite the vehicles having nearly identical steering components, according to company documents filed with NHTSA.

Top Bottom