2006 with 12K miles

Discussion in 'New to the Underground' started by Rolf, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Rolf

Rolf New Member

[​IMG]

Howdy folks,

I just became the proud custodian of this one owner 2006 with 12K miles on it. It is completely stock except a K&N filter. The original owner never drove it in rain and changed oil every year with synthetic oil. I Included a picture in case you don't know what they look like.

I plan to install a DVD-NAV radio as I want bluetooth, hands-free and a back up camera. I did check the audio/video thread but any input appreciated.

So far I love everything about it except one concern: At speeds over 40 mph I noticed the cab get noisy. It just seem to be road noise. All doors close perfect and weather stripping is all there. Any thoughts? Do I have to live with it?

2. lingenfelterm

lingenfelterm Member

Welcome, and congrats on your new truck! I've got an 05 and it's definitely got a little more road noise than most other cars I've owned. Can you describe the noise or where you think it's coming from? There are a lot of knowledgeable people on here who can help if you could be a little more specific. New tires and some dynomat throughout my truck has helped quite a bit on road noise for me.

3. madtrucker

madtrucker Active Member

Man that's nice. Only drove it to church on Sunday. Congrats on the new truck. The suspension is stiff in these trucks, they corner great, but they are a little rough on the road. That could be your noise. Tires like lingenfelterm said. Make a video if you feel up to it. Welcome to the Underground!

4. Helimx

Helimx "Dutch Rudder Master"

Well I guess I guess I don't have the lowest mileage 2006 :0(

Beautiful truck!

5. Braking Bad

Braking Bad Member

Well thats 100000 less than my 06

Turn the music up?

But seriously if the tires are originals they should be replaced due to age.

6. Rolf

Rolf New Member

Sorry for late reply, I thought I hit the subscribe button. Thanks for feedback.

Yes, the tires are indeed originals and I bet they are a bit hard. I will look for a quiet tire.
    Other than that, I think it's basically road noise. I may take out the upholstery and add some proper insulation. I will grab a passenger and see if we can locate a particular area.

7. Braking Bad

Braking Bad Member

to clarify I wasn't saying the old tires were causing more noise (its possible) but that they may decide to fall apart.

I'm still amazed at the condition of the truck!

8. imom

imom Member

new tires and adding sound dampening material in the cab will significantly reduce your cabin noise. I have 2014 regular cab and it's noisy... I need to fix my weather stripping to add more pressure to the windows so air leaks will create noise.

The doors and the floor pan will need to have more noise dampening material. I think that will make you happy. It's on my list to do on my truck.

9. Rolf

Rolf New Member

Thanks, I am very excited. I find myself running silly errands just so I can drive it and go through the gears.

I think tire technology have come a long way in ten years, I bet the right set of tires will help. Noise insulation is a whole science, I need to educate myself on the subject.

10. MiamiChillin

MiamiChillin Member

dam those are some low miles! I thought I was low. I just hit 30k.

11. Yardie

Yardie "The Jamaican"

Nice find and welcome to xru :rockon:. Get that front bumper clear coated also.

12. Rolf

Rolf New Member

Ah, is that the problem? It seems to have a different coating for sure. I hand-rubbed it as best I could but not the same as the rest of the truck.

13. easts1d3

easts1d3 Well-Known Member

Welcome to XRU!

14. MiamiChillin

MiamiChillin Member

yea same here. Also another thing is the rear fender flares. The dam rocks and debris front the front wheels get shot up to the flares making them chip. I'm planing on doing a clear film protector on them before it gets worse.

15. Rolf

Rolf New Member

Good idea. It is quite an exposed spot.

16. MrX-runner

MrX-runner Member

Wow that low miles...Welcome to the XRU.

17. Nashman

Nashman Active Member

Damn that's what x runners look like.....lol:crinklehair:

18. Cal Frez

Cal Frez New Member

Exactly what I have found. Suspension is stiffer than a preacher's (you know what). These heat-buckled roads down here in the south make for a bumpy ride to-and-from work. Any solution to this issue? Or should I just let some air out of the tires?

19. madtrucker

madtrucker Active Member

I try to avoid crappy roads. It's not always a choice, but when it is I will go the long way to avoid beating up my truck. You could change the shocks, but you might get more body roll in the corners. I think it's a trade off, hard corners, or comfortable ride.

20. PiNkY

PiNkY Active Member

The best solution I've come across was the qa1 shocks. I have the DJM 3/4 & I feel every damn bump there is but with those if I'm cruising just click um down to like a 4 or 3 setting and it's nice. For corners usually around a 8 or 10 depending on the corners. They hold up and have a lifetime warranty - I've had to have 1 rebuilt. Excellent customer service.

mejbro likes this.