Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

2006 with 12K miles

Rolf

Reaction score
2006-Toyota-Tacoma-X-Runner-front-qtr-sm-e1452985250942-1024x570.jpg

Howdy folks,

I just became the proud custodian of this one owner 2006 with 12K miles on it. It is completely stock except a K&N filter. The original owner never drove it in rain and changed oil every year with synthetic oil. I Included a picture in case you don't know what they look like.

I plan to install a DVD-NAV radio as I want bluetooth, hands-free and a back up camera. I did check the audio/video thread but any input appreciated.

So far I love everything about it except one concern: At speeds over 40 mph I noticed the cab get noisy. It just seem to be road noise. All doors close perfect and weather stripping is all there. Any thoughts? Do I have to live with it?

lingenfelterm

Reaction score
Welcome, and congrats on your new truck! I've got an 05 and it's definitely got a little more road noise than most other cars I've owned. Can you describe the noise or where you think it's coming from? There are a lot of knowledgeable people on here who can help if you could be a little more specific. New tires and some dynomat throughout my truck has helped quite a bit on road noise for me.

madtrucker

Reaction score
Man that's nice. Only drove it to church on Sunday. Congrats on the new truck. The suspension is stiff in these trucks, they corner great, but they are a little rough on the road. That could be your noise. Tires like lingenfelterm said. Make a video if you feel up to it. Welcome to the Underground!

Helimx

"Dutch Rudder Master"
Reaction score
Well I guess I guess I don't have the lowest mileage 2006 :0(

Beautiful truck!

Braking Bad

Reaction score
Well thats 100000 less than my 06

Turn the music up?

But seriously if the tires are originals they should be replaced due to age.

Rolf

Reaction score
Sorry for late reply, I thought I hit the subscribe button. Thanks for feedback.

Yes, the tires are indeed originals and I bet they are a bit hard. I will look for a quiet tire.
Other than that, I think it's basically road noise. I may take out the upholstery and add some proper insulation. I will grab a passenger and see if we can locate a particular area.

Braking Bad

Reaction score
to clarify I wasn't saying the old tires were causing more noise (its possible) but that they may decide to fall apart.

I'm still amazed at the condition of the truck!

imom

Reaction score
new tires and adding sound dampening material in the cab will significantly reduce your cabin noise. I have 2014 regular cab and it's noisy... I need to fix my weather stripping to add more pressure to the windows so air leaks will create noise.

The doors and the floor pan will need to have more noise dampening material. I think that will make you happy. It's on my list to do on my truck.

Rolf

Reaction score
to clarify I wasn't saying the old tires were causing more noise (its possible) but that they may decide to fall apart.

I'm still amazed at the condition of the truck!

Thanks, I am very excited. I find myself running silly errands just so I can drive it and go through the gears.

I think tire technology have come a long way in ten years, I bet the right set of tires will help. Noise insulation is a whole science, I need to educate myself on the subject.

Yardie

"The Jamaican"
Reaction score
Nice find and welcome to xru :rockon:. Get that front bumper clear coated also.

Rolf

Reaction score
Nice find and welcome to xru :rockon:. Get that front bumper clear coated also.

Ah, is that the problem? It seems to have a different coating for sure. I hand-rubbed it as best I could but not the same as the rest of the truck.

MiamiChillin

Reaction score
Ah, is that the problem? It seems to have a different coating for sure. I hand-rubbed it as best I could but not the same as the rest of the truck.

yea same here. Also another thing is the rear fender flares. The dam rocks and debris front the front wheels get shot up to the flares making them chip. I'm planing on doing a clear film protector on them before it gets worse.

Rolf

Reaction score
yea same here. Also another thing is the rear fender flares. The dam rocks and debris front the front wheels get shot up to the flares making them chip. I'm planing on doing a clear film protector on them before it gets worse.

Good idea. It is quite an exposed spot.

Nashman

Reaction score
2006-Toyota-Tacoma-X-Runner-front-qtr-sm-e1452985250942-1024x570.jpg

Howdy folks,

I just became the proud custodian of this one owner 2006 with 12K miles on it. It is completely stock except a K&N filter. The original owner never drove it in rain and changed oil every year with synthetic oil. I Included a picture in case you don't know what they look like.

I plan to install a DVD-NAV radio as I want bluetooth, hands-free and a back up camera. I did check the audio/video thread but any input appreciated.

So far I love everything about it except one concern: At speeds over 40 mph I noticed the cab get noisy. It just seem to be road noise. All doors close perfect and weather stripping is all there. Any thoughts? Do I have to live with it?

Damn that's what x runners look like.....lol:crinklehair:

Top Bottom