Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

2012 Pre-Runner Build, Toyota Tech's Truck

Toyota Tech

Reaction score
Well heres the build thread I have been promising for a few weeks now... It all started in december 2011 a few days before christmas... I was driving a 95 Jeep wrangler 4 cylinder lifted on 35's with stock gears. Needless to say my ride at the time was slower than a rickshaw (google this for a laugh if you don't know what it is.). The wrangler would not start one morning and I finally was fed up with it, I rode my bike to work and after work I strapped my bike into my new 2012 Tacoma Pre-runner double cab in "silver streak" and drove home. A few weeks later a lady pulled out in front of me in Venice Beach, CA with her Avalon, after backing my truck down off of her Avalon hood / engine (what was left) I knew... so begins the modifications. Fast forward until now... and here is the current list of mods:

Exterior Mods:
Herculiner Sides and tail gate
Spyder Industries headache rack w/ Hi-lift welded to the top
UWS slim profile in bed tool box
Body Armor front bumper
Smittybuilt 8k Winch
Black Headlight mod w/ projector retrofit from TheRetrofitSource
55w LED Fog lights mounted in the front bumper
35W driving lights mounted behind the grill
T-rex front grill
Wind / Bug Deflector from Toyota
CB Antenna & PA speakers

Interior Mods:
AEM A/F Ratio Gauges (Dual 1 for each bank)
Zeitronix Ethanol Content gauge
Boost Gauge
Wet Okole front seat covers w/ TRD OffRoad Logo's
PLX Scan gauge (Removed, useless.)
TRD Auto Shifter Knob
CB radio w/ PA function

Suspension Mods:
Add a leaf rear
Icon Remote Reservoir 2.5" Coilovers (front)
Painted red front sway bar
Budbuilt Traction bar

Wheels and Tires:
Stock wheels painted black (for now)
285/75/16 BFG AT KO's
2" Spydertrax Billet Wheel Spacers

Engine and Powertrain:
TRD Supercharger
2.55" URD pulley
NST Crank-Lite kit
Tomei Fuel Pressure Regulator
Zeitronix Ethanol Content Sensor
Doug Thorley Long Tube headers
Doug thorley Y-pipe with resonators cut out and cherry bombs welded in
TRD Catback with TRD muffler cut out and dual super 44 flowmasters welded in-line
Airaid "cold" air intake
URD throttle body adapter & 5.7L tundra throttle body
Custom 7th Injector setup
Split Second ECU additional Injector Controller
Unichip Plug and Play kit
URD 170 degree Thermostat
HPS Silicone Hoses & clamps
Mishimoto Oil Cooler
AEM E-85 in tank fuel pump
61lb Siemens Deka Injectors
Import Performance Transmissions Shift Kit / modified valve body
Dual Battery Setup (1 optima Blue top, 1 red top. Wired in parallel for now)
Air Injection Pump Cover from 2013-2015 Model (protects injection pump from water intrusion)
Flex-Lite Electric Fan kit
TRD Radiator Cap
TRD oil Cap
CEL Eliminators (elbow for the 02 sensors to defeat the Catalyst inefficiency codes / monitor)

Probably missing some things ill add them as they are brought to my attention or if I notice. Heres some Pictures :)

6-19-15 Sitting in my driveway
IMG_20150619_193102150_HDR_zpslo8tocfm.jpg

The day I got the new front bumper (its actually for a 2005-2011, body armor had not come out with the 2012+ version yet)
IMG_1247.jpg

More to come, these are the photo's I had links to, planning on doing a nice photo shoot soon just need to choose a decent backdrop. Thanks for reading and any advice / questions are more than welcome. Also a side note, I will be using this as an actual build thread from now on, taking photo's during the process of any future mods (still have parts sitting here so expect some write ups soon) and posting here. Looking forward to suggestions / thoughts and comments.

Redlantern

Reaction score
Haha what a great way to make you start modding. Nice setup! Need moreeee pics! Especially some side and engine bay photos. Always wondered but how much of a difference Did the bigger throttle body make?

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Very very nice! I applaud how you overcame what most people won't by finding a way to tune and mod your '12+.

How did you hear about the Tomei FPR and what did you use to adapt it to the fuel rail?

Toyota Tech

Reaction score
How did you hear about the tomei FPR and what did you use to adapt it to the fuel rail?
I used a "Subaru / Toyota" fuel rail adapter and made hoses with AN fittings. I found all red and black fittings and hoses. The fuel rail adapter also fits a supra I think. I read about the FPR on here somewhere.

Toyota Tech

Reaction score
IMG_20150619_193220340_zpsddluiah5.jpg~320x480
This is after some clean up. And adding a tomei fuel pressure regulator, and zeitronix e-85 sensor w/ gauge, also have a fuel pressure sensor on the tomei FPR but no gauge yet. In the works of making a custom gauge pod.
Before the clean up.
tmp_11524-IMG_20150511_114606352-949940565_zpslw72q4ps.jpg~320x480

Toyota Tech

Reaction score
Let me just say before I post this... Im sorry its so shaky... Really need to mount my go-pro somewhere to make better videos. This video was taken with my cell phone... check engine light is on for 02 sensor codes in the video (thus traction control is off), and the passenger side (right side) wideband gauge is not working in the video. The left or driver side gauge does work and you can see it intermittently in the video, 10.5-11.7 was the highest I saw under WOT, but don't pay attention to those... :p this is from a stop to 80 mph then let off. I meant to show the difference in shifting - ITS AMAZING :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NL9AFY8bcAc

Oh, and p.s. The radio is on, thats a commercial you here ;) and notice - the speedo drops after second gear shift into 3rd by approx 5mph, thats the tires finally catching traction lol.

Toyota Tech

Reaction score
Nice build! Any dyno numbers?

Thanks! No dyno numbers yet, I have big plans for this truck in the next year or so. 5.7L v-8 swap with TRD blower, 1gr stroker twin charged, 4.7L V-8 TRD supercharged, or 1gr stroker supercharged (like now) but add NST TRD overdrive kit & stage 7 porting for the TRD blower. I just can't decide. Saving money for now, figure I need a good 10g's to get started probably will end up being closer to 15k all said and done no matter what route I go.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
I think BC (Brian Crower) is actually building! 1GR right now. Sleeving and stroker kit installation. They are close to you as well.

Toyota Tech

Reaction score
The new throttle body was nice, I first installed it with the 2.85" URD pulley, unichip, DTLT, Doug Thorley Pipe bomb, TRD Catback, Airaid intake, 33" tires and stock gears - First time I got it to spin the tires when shifting into second gear was when I put the new throttle body on. It does make a little bit of a whistling effect sometimes but its not bad.

Top Bottom