Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

4 Wheel Drive X?

ACE OF SPADE X

Reaction score
ive been debating on gettin rid of the X but im having trouble letting her go. My main goal is to get a ride ultimatley AWD or 4WD so ill have no problems in all type of weather since where i live we get everything. Ive been throwing around the idea with some buddys of mine of trying to make the X 4wd. Since they make our exact truck in 4WD Would it be relatively easy to swop out a 4W drivetrain into the X? if this can be done and not break the back i would do so and save me money instead of buying a new ride. What do you guys think? I need all the imput from you guys i can get before i make the move on trying to do this.

rennurx

Reaction score
Making a 4wd tacoma into and x might be easier then making the x 4wd

justin13703

Reaction score
Hopefully Torspd will post in here soon, I think I remember him talking about this a while back. I think he said it would be damn near impossible because of space issues. I could be wrong though. I can say though it definitely would not be easy or cheap.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
We made some pretty good progress in a thread that Clifford started. You would need the AWD transfer-case from a 4Runner. And most likely the front drivetrain components from the Rav4.

And very likely the 4x4 oil pan. Since it was designed to fit around a front diff.

Here is the link http://www.xr-underground.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=47624

Last edited:

Gadget

Reaction score
The Rav4 is front wheel drive. None of those parts will fit into the XR unless you turn the engine sideways.

G

ACE OF SPADE X

Reaction score
Thanks Torspd that pretty much answers my questions sounds like its going to be to much of a pain in the ass and a money pit to get it done. kinda bumed out lol but oh well i may just have to turn a 4x4 into an X. Its just something about these trucks man that become a part of you and so hard to let go

JPAYNE722

Reaction score
Go to google n type in lifted x runner,guy put a x runner body kit on a swb lifted tacoma

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, in all manner of simplicity, it is easier to start with a 4x4. But, the most determined will make it happen for an XR. :top:

trd_sport

Reaction score
^thats a photoshop.

I have the xr front end on my tacoma minus the rest of the body kit.
IMG_1463-1.jpg

The question of making a 4x4 has come up numerous times, i think the general consensus is to convert a 4x4 into an X and not the other way around.

Last edited:

TommyXrunner

Reaction score
thats just way to much work and money! toyota should make the x-runner AWD and finally put a serious motor in them!

Can XR

Reaction score
I agree with the other posts. It will be much easier to start with 4x4.

justin13703

Reaction score
I would love to see it though. A turbo AWD XRunner would be absolutely skeet-tastic.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
The Rav4 is front wheel drive. None of those parts will fit into the XR unless you turn the engine sideways.

G

I could have sworn that someone said that the steering knuckles from the Rav would at least fit? I don't remember clearly. All I do know though, is that a lot of customization would be necessary. Very costly.

It does make me think about the Custom IRS that I have seen on a '05+ Taco. Mmm

Clifford

because race truck
Reaction score
putting IRS in the back of a taco wouldn't be all that complicated, looking back I wish I would have done that instead of the 4 link. Would have cost around the same. S-Chassis rear set ups are super cheap.

Top Bottom