Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

A/C compressor issue

joshxrmora

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I disconnected my battery this weekend while installing a sub box. (Also installed new URD Exhaust) after all was said and done i took the x out for a spin to hear how my new sub sounded as well as the new exhaust. everything was to my liking and i was relieved. whoo :blurock:

afterwards i went to hit my A/C and noticed that my blower was working but only warm air coming out. like not even cold at all. also noticed that my a/c light was flashing on and off. parked the truck and started checking the fuse box in the engine bay and replaced the 10 amp a/c fuse even tho the old one didn't look bad. turned the truck on and hit the a/c and felt a notable increase in the rpm range when i hit the button. shortly after the a/c compressor started to smoke so i shut the car off and lost my shit. :atomic:

so now after reading countless posts about a/c issues i have questions.

first off i want to know whether or not my clutch on the a/c compressor is shot due to the smoke coming from it. i know that it locked up (dont know why as of yet) but i dont know if actual damage has been done. is it possible that the a/c relay didn't kick in due to my battery being unplugged and if i can replace that relay and have everything work again.

also where can i find this relay. is it in the fuse box ? is it behind the glove compartment ? I had come across some posts mentioning a MG CLT relay in the fuse box behind the battery. is this the A/C compressor relay.

Also need to know what i need to buy if I in fact did damage the Compressor.

I know ill need a new compressor - $350
I'll need to buy a new condenser - $150
I'll need the denso receiver dryer - $20

what specific PAG oil will i need to buy.
what specific Refrigerant will i need
also is there a specific A/C flush i need to buy?

any help will be greatly appreciated guys. If the whole system is damaged Ill be getting the system purged through a friend of mine who works at a shop. l'll be doing the work then ill have them recharge it afterwards.

Gadget

Reaction score
Give it some time to start working again.

Don't know why, but sometimes the A/C will not work until you drive for a little while.

My 2010 4Runner is worse. The vent control does not work either for a while after a battery disconnect.

On a real hot day it sucks.

G

Slywhitty

"Midget Magnet"
Reaction score
I agree with gadget. When I replaced my motor (I did not disconnect the compressor from the lines). It wasn't working for like an hour after I finally started the truck back up. Then all of a sudden it started working.

But... You said smoke came out. Lol. That prob means it done. Probably will only have to replace the compressor and have the system checked for leaks then re charged after

Gadget

Reaction score
If you are speaking of the magnetic clutch relay, it is in the engine fuse box behind the battery. I think it is labeled MG CLT

Gadget

Reaction score
IF it is a clutch or relay problem, the light on the A/C button will flash.

There is an RPM measuring device on the compressor and if the compressor RPM does not match the engine RPM in the proper ratio it will assume that the clutch is slipping and kick it off and flash the light.

I had a clutch fail on my truck. The center portion is rubber and it just all came apart and when the clutch engaged it would not spin the compressor. I go the flashing light.

There were some problems on the earlier trucks where the relay was bad and had to be replaced. I think the current version is gray. That thing is not cheap either.

G

joshxrmora

Reaction score
yup found the relay on amazon for like 14 bucks, although I'm pretty sure my clutch is shot. i wiggled the relay yesterday and still getting the blinking light. Looks like Ill be getting a new A/c compressor. Do you think I'll need to replace the condenser or just the dryer assembly within the condenser? Ill be getting the system evacuated at my buddies shop then replacing the components at home. Would it be something to ask the shop after the system is evacuated.

Gadget

Reaction score
I did not replace my dryer when I replaced the A/C compressor. I guess is should have been replaced.

G

lamia2super

Reaction score
I've been having a/c issue lately too..mine works fine but after 30 mins to an hour it kinda stops blowing air. I turned off the a/c, put blower on high for a minute and it starts working again. Wonder if it's a thermostat issue or a fuse

Gadget

Reaction score
That sounds like the thermostat is not turning the compressor off and your evaporator freezes up. Once it freezes it cannot pass air through and cool it. Turn it off and it thaws and you can start the process over again.

G

Blue10XR

Reaction score
I've been having a/c issue lately too..mine works fine but after 30 mins to an hour it kinda stops blowing air. I turned off the a/c, put blower on high for a minute and it starts working again. Wonder if it's a thermostat issue or a fuse

sounds to the evap is freezing up you may be low on gas or have a leak

MplsX

Reaction score
AC work should really be diagnosed and repaired by a pro. Even professionals can struggle with diagnoses and repair but it can be very costly to just throw parts at a problem and hope for a good outcome. Let a certified AC tech do the work and get a warranty.

lamia2super

Reaction score
That sounds like the thermostat is not turning the compressor off and your evaporator freezes up. Once it freezes it cannot pass air through and cool it. Turn it off and it thaws and you can start the process over again.

G

Pressure is all good and that's what I think is happening. Replacing the thermostat should solve this right ? Or do you know a better way to solve this ? A little annoying having to repeat the on/off process

Gadget

Reaction score
I really don't know. Never had to deal with that one yet. Just asked my ASE guy on staff. He has not done a newer Tacoma, but thinks the expansion valve is hanging up and might need to be replaced. Could be a simple job or might require removing the evaporator.

I would suggest you find a good A/C shop in your area to diagnose it for you and see what you are really in for.

G

Top Bottom