Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Acura TL OEM HID Retrofit (56k No Way)

Deviant

Reaction score
Been working on these for a while now but been kinda busy to work on them alot. This project started out in the sumer and this is where I'm at now...

These are OEM Acura TL Bi Xenon Projectors purchased off of Ebay. Originally I was going for the TL/ZKW Clear lens combo but purchased the wrong ZKW Clear lens... The ZKW's are about 500 for a set of projectors, but you just want to use the lens, so spending 500 for lens is out of the question right now. For now I'll be sticking with the stock fresneled lens the TL's came with.

img2685kg6.jpg

Shot with Canon PowerShot SD630 at 2007-08-07

Tested it out one night and had amazing results! These weren't mounted yet or anything, just hooked the ballasts up to my battery to power them up

img2700fv4.jpg

Shot with Canon PowerShot SD630 at 2007-08-08

The wall is about a good 200+ ft. away

For mounting I'm taking a bit of a different approach then what others have been doing. Its pretty similar to how eyevan did his over on CT.

I took apart the headlights then removed the reflectors. From there I cut off the stock adjustment knobs and bored out the whole so I could mount my own bolt. Used nuts, locknuts and washers to hold the 2 main support bolts in place while jb welding the back to make it extra sturdy. From there I proceeded to make the mounting plate. Marked the holes to be drilled and cut some threaded rod to act as the main supports and means of adjustment. The threaded rod is held in place with nuts and washers. All mechanical mounting hardware was given a healthy dose of loctite to prevent it from undoing itself from vibrations. The plate was also spot jb welded to make it more secure.

img2820bg4.jpg

Shot with Canon PowerShot SD630 at 2007-09-09

img2821ck6.jpg

img2823kz9.jpg

To hide everything some thin ABS plastic was cut to shape. I marked the center where the projector would protrude from and cut the hole as exact as I could get it. There is a small gap where you can see inside so that will be siliconed to seal it (black silicone will be used). The finished product should look like this

img2962ko8.jpg

Shot with Canon PowerShot SD630 at 2007-11-23

img2959co4.jpg

Shot with Canon PowerShot SD630 at 2007-11-29

Will be posting up more updates as I go.

XrunnIT

Reaction score
dang, that is pretty sick. I'm curious to see how they'd look on the truck... :hmmmm2:

project-c2

Reaction score
Nice job "B". Haven't heard from you much. Hope all is well. I just got mine together also. I wish my projectors had rear loading bulbs. Mine are from the side and was a royal PITA. I should have just bought TLs. I ran across the IS350s for cheap, so I ran with em.

07SWB

Reaction score
please do the BHLM before you put it all together.

hrspwr236

Reaction score
:dito: That is going to look sweet, cant wait to see that one, take lots of pictures

morcheez

Reaction score
not sure im diggin the black plastic piece :dontknow:

Deviant

Reaction score
Bit of an update. Due to popular request I blacked out my second set of headlight trims. U used 3 coats of Kyrlon Gloss Black (Scuffed up the original chrome trim with a scotch brite pad to prime it). I taped off the areas where the amber corners are as well as the turn signals (I want the turn signals to be bright, I currently have a set where everything is blacked out and dont' like it much). I also decided to give the amber corners a light coat of tint (had some leftover from doing my tails and decided what the hell...) turned out alright to me. I didn't want to get rid of them entirely because my work is in cop central... and i'll guarantee get pulled over. Anyways, heres the pics....

img3015eb6.jpg

Shot with Canon PowerShot SD630 at 2007-12-16

img3021my1.jpg

img3027lj2.jpg

Deviant

Reaction score
Haven't had a chance to do any more work to my headlights because the weather has been pretty ****ty lately. don't want to go out and aim my headlights and get poured on... garage is to small to do this as well

RossK35

Reaction score
Looking good! Almost there lol. Nice touch on tinting the reflector.

Deviant

Reaction score
Thanks! I really hope this weather clears up... we should redo yours with the TSX the same time too!

Sykotic336

Reaction score
o wow that looks pretty dope man hahaha now i know what you meant when you said you could light up the whole mountain bwahaha awesome work:top::top:

Deviant

Reaction score
So finally got around to aim these things tonight. Had some clear weather from all the on and off rain thats been the norm lately. Wall is about 25' away. The top of the cutoff is about 2 - 3" below the top of the headlight. the step is abut 3.5' apart from each other. It looks like it's sloping down because the driveway is on a slope. But enough talking and look at the pics

img3074dn6.jpg

Shot with Canon PowerShot SD630 at 2007-12-30

img3077lk0.jpg

img3084ch2.jpg

And what it would look like with my 3k HID fogs

img3087rf4.jpg

Perfect! :biggrin:

Now to seal these up and make the harness!

Sykotic336

Reaction score
So finally got around to aim these things tonight. Had some clear weather from all the on and off rain thats been the norm lately. Wall is about 25' away. The top of the cutoff is about 2 - 3" below the top of the headlight. the step is abut 3.5' apart from each other. It looks like it's sloping down because the driveway is on a slope. But enough talking and look at the pics

Perfect! :biggrin:

Now to seal these up and make the harness!
o man thats deadly lol, awesome work bro... make me a pair? :top:

06XR-SW

Reaction score
that does looks sweet!! have any pics of the lights on the truck??

777 lucky sevens!!!!(posts)

Deviant

Reaction score

Thanks! Idk bout making another set though... it's easy if you have a lot of time on your hands. Just aquiring the parts and making everything fit takes some time and patience.

that does looks sweet!! have any pics of the lights on the truck??

777 lucky sevens!!!!(posts)

Not yet. Right now they're just open. I still have to make a cover plate and put the trim back in then seal it back up. The way I designed it though it has to be open in order for me to aim them. It would be more convenient if I used the stock reflectors this way you can adjust it from the back.

So sick :rock:

Thanks man!

Sykotic336

Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykotic336

Thanks! Idk bout making another set though... it's easy if you have a lot of time on your hands. Just aquiring the parts and making everything fit takes some time and patience.

heh i was just being sarcastic plus i dont think i have the money to make all of that come to one ahaha. But my passenger headlight keeps leaking and i just resealed it today and if it doesnt work i guess ima have to save about 220$ and buy the damn ebay ones... and it really pisses me off cause i have to remove my intake to remove that headlight... Le SigH

Deviant

Reaction score
Well finally got around to finishing this thing up! Though I did run into a few problems that I noticed only after sealing them up...

Alignment of the beam pattern is kinda off. It needs to come up a bit more, the drivers side needs to be spaced out more to the left, and the rotation on the passenger side is a bit off as well.

Theres a fault somewhere in the harness I made... either a circuit is crossed or the diode to control the high beam function while still providing power is backwards. I need to keep my high beams on in order for my low beams to work (go figure)

Some of the caulking from headlight got on the trim and therefore makes it an eyesore (if you are trying to look for it)

The solenoid for the high beam can't be covered up because I mounted the projector to far forward. So in turn I spray painted it black to make it look like it's part of the overall finish.

I color modded the both sides by using my semi clear ZKW lens (though not totally clear ZKW's...). Yes I did end up using them afterall. However I cut out a spacer made out of cigarette carton to add more sharpness in the cut off and a bit more brightness... however I forgot to do that for the other side and didn't notice until it was to late...

But all in all it looks good. I bought a generic basket strainer from the hardware store and cut it up to make the shroud for my projector. The hole in the backing plate needs to be extra big, so it would be impossible to get it to be a perfect snug fit (unless you're damn good with the dremel and spot on with your measurements. The opening of the basket strainer is a little larger then 3" so it was perfect.

Enough talk though, heres the finished product!

img3117ua7.jpg

Shot with Canon PowerShot SD630 at 2008-02-03

img3119tm9.jpg

img3126zg9.jpg

img3128zc9.jpg

img3122xt4.jpg

img3123fu6.jpg