Adding Bluetooth to a factory radio

Discussion in 'General Inquiries & Info' started by Edgeman, Jan 3, 2020.

1. Edgeman

Edgeman Member

While reading through different message boards, I stumbled across a thread about adding a Bluetooth module to our factory radio. Has anyone done this? If so, what product did you use and were you satisfied with it?

Crutchfield sells two units that fit our Tacomas:

The Crux BTS-TY2 Interface ($64.95)
    https://www.crutchfield.com/p_249BTSTY2/Crux-BTS-TY2-Bluetooth-Interface.html
    I think this partially works through the factory radio, but you have to use the phone's microphone

And the USA Spec BT45-TOY ($169.99)
    https://www.crutchfield.com/p_581BT45TOY/USA-Spec-BT45-TOY.html
    I think this adds a microphone and the ability to answer a call through the factory system. I don't have phone controls on my steering wheel, so not sure how much of this capability may be lost on a 2008 X.

Both modules allow you to stream music from your phone.

Have read mixed things about these devices disabling the CD player. Would like to keep that capability...

2. NHXRUNNER

NHXRUNNER "New Hampster"
    Staff Member

I haven't had a factory radio since 2008 so I'm not of much use to you. I will say though I just installed the Alpine ILX-W650 in my FJ Cruiser and will be swapping out my IVA -W205 in the X-Runner with one shortly as well. Apple CarPlay (or Android Auto), Factory Steering wheel Integration, bluetooth connectivity, rear/front view camera integration, all for under $300...
    https://www.crutchfield.com/shopsearch/ilx-w650.html

3. mejbro

mejbro Member

Just installed one of the Premier Pioneer radio in my 2011 IS350 with the Android Auto and it is amazing!!! I went a little cheaper in the Xrunner, shoulda waited for Black Friday. The 6 CD changer in the X got stuck... so, I got the AVH series Pioneers from Crutchfield. If you decide Pioneer get the Micro Bypass module so "your passengers" can watch movies while driving.

4. NHXRUNNER

NHXRUNNER "New Hampster"
    Staff Member

He's more looking into just a bluetooth module for the factory HU

5. mejbro

mejbro Member

Oops, shoulda led with, "for 169.99 you can do more than add bluetooth".
    Then bleh, bleh, bleh...