Aftermarket catalytic converters are now available

Discussion in 'Stock Performance/Mechanical' started by Justin Kantor, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Justin Kantor

Justin Kantor New Member

I wanted to spread the work for individuals who have catalytic converter woes that there is now a alternative to Toyota manufactured units. I had to replace my cats (yes, all of them) and found I had to purchase the front and the rears (which were previously removed by the old owner). Now I have a great system, although it was pricey but not as pricey as it would have been from Toyota. Just an FYI, I hear the front are also supposed to be coming soon.
    Before Install.jpg
    Borla.jpg
    New cats.jpg

2. SgtBadA

SgtBadA Active Member

What brand are they? Cause you can also get magnaflow replacements exhaust manifolds.
    Left side # 50848
    Right side # 50849

TitanRattler813 likes this.
  3. SgtBadA

SgtBadA Active Member

Also the rear cats aren’t required unless you live in California, at least here in Texas they aren’t required

4. Justin Kantor

Justin Kantor New Member

I will ask the installer the brand/model and post a photo of the laser etched # on the cat. SgtBadA, you are correct that the rear cats are not required for many states but here in CA they are needed. In reality, the rear cats are not even monitored so if they failed no one could tell. The truck would only fail a CA emissions test if a properly trained inspector were to look under the car and see that they were absent. I just went and all the 60 yo inspector did was plug in the machine for inspection so I did not really need to get them installed because he would have missed it.

5. SgtBadA

SgtBadA Active Member

I figured I would spread some knowledge on the part numbers. I can also get the rear cats too.

6. DocME

DocME New Member

You say you’re in California? Are the cats CARB compliant? I’ve been looking long time for a factory alternative and have found zero options. Definitely interested in part numbers. Unfortunately in California the federal approved cats won’t pass visual inspection if they run the part number.