bang when stopping??

Discussion in 'Stock Performance/Mechanical' started by BSPX, Sep 21, 2007.

1. BSPX

BSPX Member

Everytime I go to stop I will put it in neutral and cruise to a stop, but a second or two after I stop it feels like someone rearends my truck. Its a pretty strong jolt that is felt and heard in the drivetrain. Its starting to do it more consistently now. My dealer wont ever look at it, I have been there 16 times now. I am thinking the only thing it could be are the synchos?? Anyone have any ideas?

2. Xample

Xample New Member

may be your u joints are bad?? jack up your truck and check the play in them:dontknow: thats all i can think of

3. BSPX

BSPX Member

i thought of that, I tried to move them and there isnt much play, but I do have a vibration now at 80-85 mph when I let off the gas and a random metallic ring sometimes.

4. Xample

Xample New Member

sounds like it may be in the rear then...is the diff chattering on aggressive drivin?

5. Xample

Xample New Member

how many miles do you have on this??

6. nctourer

nctourer New Member

Any reason given as to why they wont look at it??

7. project-c2

project-c2 New Member

Should try test drive with the tech. When stuff like this happens @ my work place. I suggest test driving with the customer. Better than saying "unable to verify complaint.":dontknow:

8. My68ur8trd

My68ur8trd Active Member

sounds like axle wrap. on my 99 it would wrap up to where the slip yoke would get stuck. when it releases it feels like you get hit in the back. I wouldnt think that would happen on these trucks. I was on 35s with 9" lift when I had that problem

Justin

9. wshsbears

wshsbears New Member

if ur in neutral.. how does ur drivetrain do anything but make noise? if it feels like ur getting rear ended, that would mean ur drivetrain is engaging for a split second. there is a TSB out for the throwout bearing. the bearing could be defective and catching on its own internals causing the drive shaft to jerk ur truck around a little.

i get the high pitch whine at speed too. its the certain point where ur engine and drivetrain aren't helping each other out and if u think about a semi who keeps getting on and off the gas, it makes the same noise, just much louder.

10. BSPX

BSPX Member

the LSD clanks pretty bad when I turn in neutral only. Last night i got it to bang like that when I was slowly backing up into a parking spot. I dont think its the throwout bearing, it doesnt make any noise when I engage the clutch. The truck has 5100 miles on it. It also doesnt make a chattering noise on acceleration either.

11. wshsbears

wshsbears New Member

what im sayin is, the drivetrain would have to be engaged in someway for anything in the back end to move. esp to make a loud noise. when ur stopped ur gears in ur back end are stopped too. if ur clutch engage for a split second, it will move ur back end.

12. BSPX

BSPX Member

so then it could be the synchros in the tranny?

13. Lynxshd

Lynxshd Member

Did you ever get this resolved. My truck does the same thing and has since new.

thewarriordinghy likes this.