Began White evo mod with recessed grille!!

Discussion in 'Exterior Modifications' started by XRnRElite77, Aug 24, 2009.

1. XRnRElite77

XRnRElite77 New Member

FINISHED... mostly: Began White evo mod with recessed grille!!

IT IS FINISHED... except for the inserts they will be hear tomorrow. IT LOOKS SICK!!!!

WHAT YOU WILL NEED TO DO THIS MOD:

[​IMG]

I know its alot but hey do it right or dont do it.

heres how my truck looked before i began,

[​IMG]
    HERE IT IS AFTER!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DAY 1:
    and now i have taken the grille off and started the recessing process, im using fiberglass resin with fiberglass mesh cause it is alot stronger then the weive. I have alot of practice with fiberglass and its fun lol.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DAY 2: UPDATE: after i let the fiberglass harden, sanded and applyed first coat of bondo, i think the hardener went bad lol im going to get more bondo tomorrow and should have most of the sanding and prep done:

FINISHED ALL THE PREP AND PAINTING ON DAY 3:
    Heres what you have been waiting for: enjoy

[​IMG]

LOWER PREP WORK:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SO i sanded the bondo down it took 2 applications of bondo and progressive sanding from 60 to 120 to 180 to 220. It actually got too smooth so i had to rough it up again to get the paint to adhere better. I painted the inside rim with 3 coats of krylon plastic primer and filler and then sanded inbetween with 220 and 400.

I then applyed 3 coats of Plastidip to the rim and the bottome portion of the grill and lover valence. It turned out better then i could think.

HERES the Main Grille:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

heres the front now with the white hood scoop
    and of course i am doing the recess on the bottom aswell to bring it all together

[​IMG]

before:

[​IMG]
    after:

[​IMG]

heres the plan, im going to relocate my horns and then im going to remove the middle support from the hood brace, the mesh is currently at the powder coaters being powder coated black. I going to use the plastidip white on the front bumper up to the bottome of the lower grille. the recessed part of the grille with be white aswell as the little triangle piece boarders. I cut the triangles out and will have the same mesh behind them aswell. then the low part will also be painted white but the grilles will be black. still debating on the headlights, I was thinking about doing a bhlm with white details inside to add contrast. not sure yet.

triangles removed :rock:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

HERES a night when i was moving my car to put my moms car in the garage.

10k fogs, with halo headlights

[​IMG]

#1 XRnRElite77, Aug 24, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2009
  2. Trick61

Trick61 New Member

looking good so far...keep us updated! :top:

3. T0LLPHR33

T0LLPHR33 "Catwoman"

looking really good bro...nice job so far...:top:

RGM FTW...:rockon:

White Evo Mod...different but I can see it looking oh so good...kind of reminds of a black storm trooper...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Jay Swift

Jay Swift "The Philippine Bean"

Nice :top: can't wait to see how it turns out!

5. Torspd

Torspd Moderator
    Staff Member

Awesome storm trooper. I think it will look sick dude. Keep up the picture progress

6. heylookatthatblackXRunner

You will deffinitely be the first...

Have fun :top:

7. big_dirte

big_dirte New Member

I was going to remove the center support but a few other members had said that when they did it they had issues with the hood latching properly. I mean you could always fabricate some new brackets to stiffen up the latch. Its lookin good so far man. I think its going to look really sharp!!!

8. XRnRElite77

XRnRElite77 New Member

i updated the thread to show the progress.... thanks for the support and comments :top:

i and debating something amazing to do with the head lights. something i dont think anyone has done. :biggrin: but you will have to wait to see it lol

9. Generation-X

Generation-X New Member

Hmm interesting...sounds like you have a good idea in mind. dont let anyone change it and just go for it, did that with my lights and i love em!

10. T0LLPHR33

T0LLPHR33 "Catwoman"

well if you don't tell us what it is you won't know if it has or hasn't been done before...:laugh:

11. XRnRElite77

XRnRElite77 New Member

i am also changing to the trd intake. i was thinking about doing URD logo on the condensor in the middle of the grille in white but not too sure. ideas are running wild :bird:

12. Vince77

Vince77 New Member

Unique idea, can't wait to see it all done. Nice work so far. :top:

13. T0LLPHR33

T0LLPHR33 "Catwoman"

that would definitely look cool...:top:

the TRD on the condenser in red while the rest of the condenser in black looks really good...i bet painting the condenser black and then doing the URD white will make it pop even more...

TRD INTAKE FTW...:rockon:

14. XRnRElite77

XRnRElite77 New Member

i have the URD style now but i will need to go with something else once the grill is done. I have to move the horns and brace. im going to fab a new brace for the hood latch. still looking at that.

15. T0LLPHR33

T0LLPHR33 "Catwoman"

as far as the hood latch bracket...don't cut it out unless you an intercooler for the TRD S/C or URD S/C...

i did this and when your going down the road at 60+ with the RGM the extra air gets caught up under the hood and the hood will start to bulge up and down like its going to unlatch and fold up over the window...after removing the latch bracket it greatly weakens the strength of the latch bar that hold the hood down...

this is only a suggestion...but tapp, coupe, and myself were trying to work around the latch bar fatigue...but couldn't come up with anything...so I just bought another bracket painted it the same high temp enamel black as i did the condenser and reattached it...never had a problem with the hood since...

16. XRnRElite77

XRnRElite77 New Member

yeah i was doin some tests and you have to have something there to support the latch from twisting. i made a templete but it wont do what it needs. I will prolly do that or masket it with the URD logo or maybe TRD in white logo. :biggrin:

17. T0LLPHR33

T0LLPHR33 "Catwoman"

ok that's good...just didn't want you to cut it out then realize that there's to much play and the latch bar is flimsy affecting the hood and have to fork out the cash for a new 1...

keep me posted bro i definitely want to see pics when your done...:top:

18. BSP06XRU

BSP06XRU Old Member

Keep it up and keep us posted! :top:

19. Sykotic336

Sykotic336 New Member

awe its not done yet come on i wanna see already:top::top::top:

20. XRnRElite77

XRnRElite77 New Member

ok so this is the report for the day...

I sanded, applied more bondo, sanded, applied more bondo, sanded, applied more bondo, sanded, applied more bondo....

get the picture lol.

but i did get it oh so smooth went from 60 to 400 grit and applied one coat of adhesion promotor and will give a light sanding tomorrow and then do a filler primer and wet sand after each coat. im a perfectionist so it has to pass my approval before the next step. I will post pics tomorrow of the progress.