Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

* Blacked Out Taillight Mishap - Please Help *

iamrayzian

Reaction score
So I recently did a set of BHLM and they went well. However, I wanted a different look so I started another set now. However, I painted one of them incorrectly and want to start over. Anyone know how to remove the black paint on it now? I don't want to sand it down as it will take forever. The paint is Krylon Fusion Black. I didn't sand down the chrome on one of them well enough.

Thanks in advance as I've taken some time on this set to perfect the look I want. I mean, they look good and not noticable to most. However I know the imperfections and rather do it again. I know, I've got OCD.

THANKS

Grumpy

Reaction score
Try using compress air to blow off the paint. I'm not talking about using air chuck that fill the tires at gas station. I'm talkin' about a real blow gun that put out 90psi+ of unadulterated compress air.:rock:

Since you didn't sand the chrome it should flake right off. Oh...its not OCD, you're just being a perfectionist. Little detail that no one notice piss me off to no end sometime.

braves011

"Crouching Tiger"
Reaction score
its not OCD bro, i'm the same way and i've been tested for OCD (and i'm not lol). theres a spot on mine on the corner that has flaked off about the size of the tip on a ball point pen.... annoys the piss outta me.

x2 on what Grumpy said. a air gun should do the trick, if not theres always sand paper

iamrayzian

Reaction score
Thanks guys but I ain't got to means to obtaining a Air Gun that blows 90psi. Can I use any kind of chemical to get it off easier without running anything? Thanks alot. Sand paper here I come.....CRAP:eviltongue:

Grumpy

Reaction score
Time for plan B...this stuff is very aggressive. Can be found at your local auto part store ala Autozone, Advance, Pepboys... Haven't try it on chrome so you might wanna spot test it first. It'll take damn near anything off so be careful about the over spray.

paint_remover.jpg

Make sure you wash it off completely before attempting to paint again!!!

MORT-RUNNER

Reaction score
What is wrong with it? It's Krylon, you can just paint over it right?

iamrayzian

Reaction score
Well. I applied a few coats on it and then in some slight areas, there are cracks that formed. No clue why. I sanded it down and repainted but you can see it in a slight angle. Not major but I know its there. No matter how much I sand and prep it again. It happens.

Clokwrk

Reaction score
Try using compress air to blow off the paint. I'm not talking about using air chuck that fill the tires at gas station. I'm talkin' about a real blow gun that put out 90psi+ of unadulterated compress air.:rock:

Since you didn't sand the chrome it should flake right off. Oh...its not OCD, you're just being a perfectionist. Little detail that no one notice piss me off to no end sometime.

X2

Compressed air works really well for removing paint that didn't quite stick. Just gotta have enough psi of pressure to take care of it.

jbracefan1977

Reaction score
so did you fix it? just curious how though. I cant get an air gun either so I will take notes on how you took it off :biggrin:

Top Bottom