Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Blower Being a...Whippersnapper

Reaction score
TRD Blower Being a...Whippersnapper

Hello all. I figured I would post here instead of TW since there is more engine knowledge here. I recently, less than 1500 miles ago, installed a new TRD blower. So far I'm unimpressed with the results. There is definitely more power but my track times don't reflect it. I can however spin up the tires to the top of first with the rear end locked when I couldn't before. The truck had about 99K miles on it when I installed the blower. Plugs were always ok and it doesn't drink excessive oil. I installed the kit myself and I'd like to think I'm fairly advanced with my mechanic skills.

So with a TRD intake (old style) and Banks exhaust I ran 9.760 @ 70.44 mph in the 1/8th in 4wd. The first day I had the ECU flashed I went back to the track. I ran a best of 9.861 @ 69.90 with the blower in 4wd. Times range from 9.9 to 9.8 minus a 10 second time when I let off early. At the time of the run I had a Craftsman 154 piece tool box (22 lbs) in the back seat and it was a warm day (low 90s).

My best 0 to 60 run has been 7.2 seconds measured with a Scangauge.

Changes since the faster run:

TRD intake swapped for stock
Banks exhaust swapped for TRD
AP Sliders (140lbs)
Pelfrey Skid (40lbs)
My fat ass is still the same weight

I have noticed that if I go full throttle from a stand still, the engine will hesitate for a split second. There is no hesitation if I roll into the throttle or torque brake. I have verified visually that the bypass valve closes when there is no vacuum. I have checked for leaks around the sealing surfaces with intake cleaner but I have not found any. I'll have to try again because I forgot to spray around the cover/intercooler seal. I have been running 91 fuel for a while now due to slight pinging at low RPM high load situations so there wasn't 87 in the tank. I have noticed that the exhaust does smell a tad rich but it could be me. I'll try to get some vids of acceleration and hesitation at full throttle. AEM Wideband, boost gauge and fuel pressure gauges are in the works.

Am I just expecting too much? I know I have since added weight but I should be faster than stock. Maybe? Brock and I have been trying to figure this out. Dieing fuel pump? Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your wisdom.

Last edited:

Gadget

Reaction score
You have lost power going back to the stock intake. I have many dyno tests that prove that.

The old style TRD (AFE) is a good intake.

I would make sure that your intercooler pump is running and that when you take the cap off the expansion tank you can see the coolant flowing well.

Weight is a huge factor and if you have installed larger than stock tires without regearing the diffs it is like you are towing a boat all the time.

However, with all things the same, you should not be running slower.

Of course that Scion TC with the TRD supercharger did run slower in the 1/4 over a stock vehicle.....

G

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
You added 180 lbs after the install of the TRD, correct? All things being equal, the general rule is that every subtracted 100 lbs = .1 seconds in the 1/4. Inversely applies as well.

Reinstall the aftermarket intake, install a smaller pulley. Done.

Reaction score
TRD intake is long gone. I ditched it because at the time the noise was annoying and I didn't like that I kept finding dust past the AFE dryflow filter I was using. I was thinking about going with the Airaid MXPX (MXP) intake.

I forgot to mention that I am running 265/75/16 (one size up from stock) AT tires which are about 35 lbs each.

Intercooler pump is definitely running.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
You can always put a pre-filter on it. That will help a little in highly dusty areas.

Reaction score
Gadget - So it seems that the Airaid MXP intake I'm looking at has a larger MAF tube than OEM. Any idea how that will affect MAF readings?

Gadget

Reaction score
No sure don't. Never tested on or tuned one to know.

I can tell you that the URD and aFe work great. Let me know if you want one on those.

G

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
I would stick to one of the big three, TRD, AFE, or URD. Tried and proven!

Reaction score
I like to be the guy that goes against the grain...so I bought a truck that everyone and their mother owns. Lol.

But seriously I just wanted to try something new instead of getting what everyone else has.

Reaction score
subbed for intake decision

Probably Airaid. I found a guy running one on a TRD blown truck. He claims his AFR is good and there is no CEL but I am concerned about that bottom mount MAF location. Probably just me being paranoid. Another plus us that I can drop the included reducer for a different one or no reducer if I ever swap to the Tundra throttle body.

Just spray the sucker lol

Maybe meth with more boost in the future since my tuning options are limited.

Reaction score
I went Airaid. I'll post up detailed pictures of the intake when I get it. Anyone want a specific picture?

Last edited:

Gadget

Reaction score
Should have ordered through URD......

G

Gadget

Reaction score
Who is going to ship it to you??

Anyway, I wish you were closer so I can have you come in and let me do a before and after test on it and do a cal for the MAF Cal if you wanted one.

G

wolfpack_5150

Jangley
Reaction score
CALL a retailer and explain its for a race dedicated truck, never to be used on the road.

thats all I did when I had to buy certain intakes Gadget doesnt have.

Top Bottom