Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Brake lights won't go out!

kawixr

Reaction score
So I went out last night and when I got to my truck it was dead. Once I jump started it my brake lights were on so I drove home with them lit up the whole way. I parked my truck, got out, and the brake lights were still on! This morning the battery is drained again. I think it might be a bad relay?

Anyone have any ideas?

I'll probably mess with it in a bit...

2006nightrider

Reaction score
There is an electrical short somewhere. Check the relays, fuses, and make sure that no wires are touching anything that they aren't supposed to.

How long has your stereo system been installed? And did you do it or somebody else install it? If something wasn't wired right, it could be causing something to short out.

T0LLPHR33

"Catwoman"
Reaction score
i had this problem with the brake light relay switch which is under the dash just above the pedals...if you got the same problem trying seeing if the cruise control works...if it doesn't work you need to take your truck into toyota...toyota will keep the truck for a day or two if they have to order the parts...if so toyota will also be giving your a rental car cause they will deem your truck unsafe to drive until the necessary relay is replaced...

good luck on the fix bro...and keep us posted to what toyota says...:top:

kawixr

Reaction score
There is an electrical short somewhere. Check the relays, fuses, and make sure that no wires are touching anything that they aren't supposed to.

Do you have any other sort of electrical equipment installed (i.e. - stereo system, alarm, etc...) on your truck that may have been installed wrong and causing something to short out?

I have a head unit, sub, and amp. I'll have to trace the wires for that. However I do have a factory alarm that has been nothing but trouble since the day I bought it, it wouldn't disarm the otherday so I've been thinking about replacing it.

2006nightrider

Reaction score
i had this problem with the brake light relay switch which is under the dash just above the pedals...if you got the same problem trying seeing if the cruise control works...if it doesn't work you need to take your truck into toyota...toyota will keep the truck for a day or two if they have to order the parts...if so toyota will also be giving your a rental car cause they will deem your truck unsafe to drive until the necessary relay is replaced...

good luck on the fix bro...and keep us posted to what toyota says...:top:
That also depends on whether or not his 3/36K warranty is still active...if he's out of the bumper to bumper coverage, he'll be paying for the repairs and rental.

How many miles are on your truck? And what was the date of first use? If you're not sure, gimmie your vin # and I'll tell you if you're still under the bumper to bumper coverage.

I have a head unit, sub, and amp. I'll have to trace the wires for that. However I do have a factory alarm that has been nothing but trouble since the day I bought it, it wouldn't disarm the otherday so I've been thinking about replacing it.
hmmmm....you might want to take it in to Toyota so they can check that out.

I would also check up under the dash around the pedal area to make sure nothing is getting in the way of anything (as Jay said^^)

Last edited:

kawixr

Reaction score
2006 X-runner 80,000 miles :rockon: No more bumber to bumber sadly

It was the stupid switch under the brake pedal, it was sitting at the wrong angle somehow, don't know how I managed that. I took the switch out and tested it by pushing it and the lights went out so I reintalled it straight.

Thanks for the imput everyone! We'll see if it stays were it is supposed to.

2006nightrider

Reaction score
It was the stupid switch under the brake pedal, it was sitting at the wrong angle somehow, don't know how I managed that. I took the switch out and tested it by pushing it and the lights went out so I reintalled it straight.

Thanks for the imput everyone! We'll see if it stays were it is supposed to.
Glad you got it fixed...Let us know if it comes back on in case another member has similar issues:top:

SLVRBRSS

Reaction score
Ah. I'm late as usual :laugh:

I had the same problem and was about to suggest that lol. Glad that's all it was.

KETCHUP

Reaction score
Yes bro, like stated. Its the breaklight pedal switch. Had this problem when they painted my truck. The assembly that holds the switch was messed up some how. This was allowing the switch to back out of its position and remain depressed. I have never bought the new parts. Just used a tie wrap to secure it. Haven't had a problem since.

Top Bottom