Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Cams? "Mostsouthernx""BALBOA"

JPAYNE722

Reaction score
What ever happend to these guys? What ever happened to camming the 1grfe? Has anyone finally used the ttc cams? Or reshaving the cam lobes?
Nvm just reread my own post,white beauty,u ever get your engine back from apr?

Last edited:

Whitebeauty

Reaction score
So last year I recommunicated with David at APR and asked about my heads. U know what forget it. I'll need. A computer for this

JPAYNE722

Reaction score
I just want some info from all the guys running cams?? I know torspd has some but are custom for his build

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
I idled with mine and drove three miles......

Waiting to hear about Whitebeauty's story too. Pass the popcorn...

Whitebeauty

Reaction score
Alright get your popcorn out..... Lol

Well, I'm not gonna go there but I will say that if u wanna email him or call , if u can get through, him and buy them you may do so. I sent the heads in with the cams and a set a factory cams because the ttc ones would have needed to get reground. Last I heard it was up to I think $800 of work which is fuked up because I never got any updates or approval requests to do anything. Not even an initial inspection type thing. So when I did get ahold of him last year it was on a point where the machinist was about to scrap them cuz there was no updates on it... Not my fault how would I have known??? So then It was left at I was gonna get a call back to see if they needed to get decked. That's where it stayed since....

I'm gonna say one thing I have heard a lot of stories about Gadget and Torspd and some other locals to him and I can't bash him nor I won't. He freakin helped me alon the way every step he answered my calls and fine tuned the truck every time. Idk why but it was really awesome he hooked me up with stuff and all. He is definitely a busy guy APR is not he only thing he does and to be honest I believe he is pretty much done with Toyota platform. He'll do work for some but it's far and few in between. Unfortunately for me he left me with a secret which I swore I wouldn't tell but if I could the Toyota world for enthusiasts would be a whole lot better right now....

So with that I say I don't wanna hear one word about the 1Gr is a good engine and all that crap. Sure it is but leave it at stock. Don't spend your hard earned money tryin to go fast... Forget it the 1gr is a p.o.s. For performance. My recommendation to you even with Gadgets odd way of talking to people and telling them what they should get is.......

Get a freakin URD S/c kit with the UCONN push out about 450 and LEAVE IT ALONE. This will give u reliable power and amazing drive ability And response.

Option 2 a good turbo kit from the fab guys in Texas with a standalone if your year range is in there.
Option 3 LS it. Best option.

Just depends on where u stand with your truck.

Guys like @sdxrunner could probably vouch for what I'm saying he might call me some names n stuff but I'm sure he knows where I'm coming from he's been there done it.

Don't waste your time on a freakin TRD blower it is an embarrassment to forced induction...

Ok I think that's it....lmao....

Love the forum and it will always be my family you all have been great to me!!! I'll be here so feel free to ask me whatever.

Last edited:

JPAYNE722

Reaction score
Right i here ya whitebeauty,Basically i want to push as much out as i can of the motor staying n/a,if that means cams,valve springs,high compression pistons,rods,throw me some opions and reviews, instead of 300 views and 8 replies hahahahha i dont care if you say your a dumba$$,explain whyyy lol

Reaction score
Let me guess... The secret is the cams are near impossible but the secret to the most braaaap

Coupe

Reaction score
Alright get your popcorn out..... Lol

Well, I'm not gonna go there but I will say that if u wanna email him or call , if u can get through, him and buy them you may do so. I sent the heads in with the cams and a set a factory cams because the ttc ones would have needed to get reground. Last I heard it was up to I think $800 of work which is fuked up because I never got any updates or approval requests to do anything. Not even an initial inspection type thing. So when I did get ahold of him last year it was on a point where the machinist was about to scrap them cuz there was no updates on it... Not my fault how would I have known??? So then It was left at I was gonna get a call back to see if they needed to get decked. That's where it stayed since....

I'm gonna say one thing I have heard a lot of stories about Gadget and Torspd and some other locals to him and I can't bash him nor I won't. He freakin helped me alon the way every step he answered my calls and fine tuned the truck every time. Idk why but it was really awesome he hooked me up with stuff and all. He is definitely a busy guy APR is not he only thing he does and to be honest I believe he is pretty much done with Toyota platform. He'll do work for some but it's far and few in between. Unfortunately for me he left me with a secret which I swore I wouldn't tell but if I could the Toyota world for enthusiasts would be a whole lot better right now....

So with that I say I don't wanna hear one word about the 1Gr is a good engine and all that crap. Sure it is but leave it at stock. Don't spend your hard earned money tryin to go 800hp like me in an Evo. Forget it the 1gr is a p.o.s. For performance. My recommendation to you even with Gadgets odd way of talking to people and telling them what they should get is.......

Get a freakin URD S/c kit with the UCONN push out about 450 and LEAVE IT ALONE. This will give u reliable power and amazing drive ability And response.

Option 2 a good turbo kit from the fab guys in Texas with a standalone if your year range is in there.
Option 3 LS it. Best option.

Just depends on where u stand with your truck.

Guys like @sdxrunner could probably vouch for what I'm saying he might call me some names n stuff but I'm sure he knows where I'm coming from he's been there done it.

Don't waste your time on a freakin TRD blower it is an embarrassment to forced induction...

Ok I think that's it....lmao....

Love the forum and it will always be my family you all have been great to me!!! I'll be here so feel free to ask me whatever.

I think this pretty much sums it up, but I would like to throw a few observations.

I think the TRD platform is o.k up to about 350 hp.

Everyone I have seen that surpasses the 400 hp mark on a stock block has an expensive jigsaw puzzle in their garage.

I may be one of the few people who has had good luck with APR. David has done well by me, but I realize others have not been as fortunate.

Coupe

Reaction score
Right i here ya whitebeauty,Basically i want to push as much out as i can of the motor staying n/a,if that means cams,valve springs,high compression pistons,rods,throw me some opions and reviews, instead of 300 views and 8 replies hahahahha i dont care if you say your a dumba$$,explain whyyy lol

He is telling you nicely, not to waste your money going down this path. Put a URD blower with a Uconn. Limit your horsepower to (IMO) to 400 HP and you won't have a jig saw puzzle in the garage.

If you have skills, go swap in an LS engine and call it done.

Both paths cost money.

darthyota

Reaction score
He is telling you nicely, not to waste your money going down this path. Put a URD blower with a Uconn. Limit your horsepower to (IMO) to 400 HP and you won't have a jig saw puzzle in the garage.

If you have skills, go swap in an LS engine and call it done.

Both paths cost money.

as long as the engine in the truck your swapping the ls into is good you should come out ahead of a urd setup as the sale of the stock engine should pay for a ls and a transmission to bolt it to.

JPAYNE722

Reaction score
Hhhhmmmm the decisions are real now lol..for the forture though hahahaha not now

Reaction score
An ls7 is $16000 on chevys websight.... But I understand there are cheaper LS motors like the Ls4.

justin13703

Reaction score
An ls7 is $16000 on chevys websight.... But I understand there are cheaper LS motors like the Ls4.

When they say do an ls swap they're not talking about an ls7 and damn sure not talking about buying it new from Chevrolet...they're talking a 6.0 out of a wrecked gto or something along those lines.

+1 on the best thing to do is throw a Urd supercharger and ucon on it and call it a day. That'll easily put you between 400-450hp which as coupe said I would keep it close to 400. I understand the whole wanting to be different thing but pretty much everyone who has gone down the path of doing internals and "seeing how much they can get from the motor" ends up parting their truck out on here 2 months later because they scattered their engine all over the street. Very few 1gr's live long lives after they're opened up. Oh and aside from the motor, the trans is still a heaping pile of shit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom