Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Caranuba vs Synthetic

46&2_X

Reaction score
I find that the depth of shine has a lot to do with the prep work (claying and polishing) before the glaze is applied.

A sealant is a glaze, its an acrylic product that cures to the paint long term to provide way better protection then wax can.

Some sealants/glazes contain polishing compounds. I personally stay away from all-in-one products.

Glazes last for months!!! (6 months +)

I can see where I applied a glaze and where I didnt over 6 months later when I spray the car down with water; no wax does that.

I'm so confused now....

http://www.autodetailingsoluhttp://...et/m2016.htmltions.net/mirror-glaze-line.html

I've got the M80 Speed Glaze that came with my kit. It's a Glaze/Polish, but it's ment to be waxed over. It's got some cutting power to help smooth out imperfections.

http://www.autodetailingsolutions.net/m0716.html

Then you have the Show Car Glaze that is more of a pure polish. It doesn't have any cutting agents.

It's also supposed to be followed up with some kind of wax.

http://www.autodetailingsolutions.net/m2016.html

Then there's the Poly Sealant that doesn't contain Polishes or Cutting Agents, but it does contain some Waxes.

I dunno... it's so confusing.

Then you have things like this.

http://www.autodetailingsolutions.net/m6612.html

It's a polish that doubles as a wax as it's applied.

There's so many choices :laugh:.

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
Yeah there are a lot of "All-In-One" products out there, I stay away from them as much as i can. I find a product made for 1 task performs better then 1 made for 3.

P2050013_copy.50171514_std.jpg

This is what i use for a sealant, and that is all it does.

A half dollar of this stuff will do the entire truck easily. It cures so strong that if you put it on too thick you will spend hours trying to get it off.

|v3nom|

"Speed Fresh"
Reaction score
apparently i have a lot to learn about washing a car lol. i can already tell this clay bar thing is gonna give me a hard time. do you have to use a buffer or does it just make it easier?

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
apparently i have a lot to learn about washing a car lol. i can already tell this clay bar thing is gonna give me a hard time. do you have to use a buffer or does it just make it easier?

A DA buffer just makes life easier, it turns a 4 hour job into an hour and a half.

Clay barring is really easy.

glazefender1.jpg

This is after a wash, clay bar, polish, glaze, & wax - notice the paint is free of any blemishes and the clear coat looks like water.

Last edited:

46&2_X

Reaction score
Yeah there are a lot of "All-In-One" products out there, I stay away from them as much as i can. I find a product made for 1 task performs better then 1 made for 3.

P2050013_copy.50171514_std.jpg

This is what i use for a sealant, and that is all it does.

A half dollar of this stuff will do the entire truck easily. It cures so strong that if you put it on too thick you will spend hours trying to get it off.

Interesting.

I'm a Meg's fanboy myself. I've never had any problems with any of their products.

Odd that the terminology is similar yet different lol. You would think there would be more of an effort to make it more universal.

Or maybe it is and I just haven't figured it out yet lol.

carolinyens

Reaction score
Wow I get offline and come back from work and the whole conversation is already taken care of for me. Way to go guys. Thanks for all the info to those that threw something into the pot.:top:

46&2_X

Reaction score
Wow I get offline and come back from work and the whole conversation is already taken care of for me. Way to go guys. Thanks for all the info to those that threw something into the pot.:top:

Lol there is so much to learn when it comes to car care.

Everytime you think you have it figured out they come out with a new product, or a new technique(sic?). Then it throws everything on it's side lol.

Post up some pictures after you get done :biggrin:.

carolinyens

Reaction score
Heres some of me after usin Black Magic and the Porter Cable 7424. I didnt have a lot of light left.
IMG_0627.jpg

IMG_0626.jpg

IMG_0625.jpg

IMG_0628.jpg

I forgot that I had this one of the beater. '86 toyota truck. Anyone think a wax job could help this truck. LOL J/k This truck has been beat up. The only thing that can help this truck is a new body.
IMG_0629.jpg

Last edited:

Deviant

Reaction score
Well everywhere Ive read says that caranuba is better than synthetic. Its just that synthetic lasts longer and is cheaper. So I wanna get Meguiars since Ive never been let down with their products and I dont have enough money to buy the super expensive stuff. My question is which should I get, either the Gold Class or the NXT. The Gold Class is caranuba but is there enough in it to really give off that trademark caranuba shine or does it really matter.

Carnabua's have a warmer tone and much more depth then a sealant does. However depending on the type of wax, durability isn't as good. Application is easy, however if done wrong can be a nightmare.

Sealants are more of a colder tone, and usually have a high gloss finish. Durability is excellent, and application is usually easier as well.

Saying one is better then the other is like comparing apples to oranges. It totally depends on what your goals are.

Usually over the counter products aren't as "good" per say as the ones you would only find in detail shops are detailing websites. Not saying that over the counter products like megs and mothers are bad, it's just that theres better out there for the same price.

46&2_X

Reaction score
Usually over the counter products aren't as "good" per say as the ones you would only find in detail shops are detailing websites. Not saying that over the counter products like megs and mothers are bad, it's just that theres better out there for the same price.

Better than Meg's for the same price? :hmmmm2:

What brand are you talking about?

ghostboy

Reaction score
poorboy's is a boutique brand, collinite #845 liquid insulator wax ftw! That is the best i've ever used water beads for months. check this site out, they are a detailer's dream.

www.pakshak.com

LUGNUT

Reaction score
Lol their NXT tech wax is by far some of the best stuff they have ever made.

You should read the reviews of the NXT wax.

I can tell you from personal experience, that putting and taking off the NXT wax is sooo much easier than other "conventional" waxes. It glides off so much easier.

But everyone has their own personal preferences!

NXT is crazy good... I waxed my X 3 weeks ago and its still soft as heck! Go with NXT, it wont let you down! :dito:

Deviant

Reaction score
poorboy's is a boutique brand, collinite #845 liquid insulator wax ftw! That is the best i've ever used water beads for months. check this site out, they are a detailer's dream.

www.pakshak.com

Pakshak is my go to place for detailing supplies. Shipping is cheap since they're on the same island! Too bad they dont' have an actual store to go into, they only deal online as far as I know

rpmspeedyblue

Reaction score
I was a big fan of Carnuba but I 've been using synthetic lately and it seems to last longer easier to apply and less work.

Last edited:

ghostboy

Reaction score
Pakshak is my go to place for detailing supplies. Shipping is cheap since they're on the same island! Too bad they dont' have an actual store to go into, they only deal online as far as I know

They do have a store. It's right at the beginning of sand island access road on alahoa place next to tatsuo's. it's not open every day but if you go to the website and click on the "about us" tab and go into the forums he has his store hours posted on the right side. Been there a couple times already.

Deviant

Reaction score
K... well that's new since they didn't have that before. Even better!

Top Bottom