Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Cleaning drum brakes

SSSXR

Reaction score
what do i use to get rid of all the rust on my drum brakes?

picture.php

yes i know my rims are dirty but it just rained a bunch. which added to the rust on my drum brakes lol.

I quickly stopped in at a store but all they had was this primer stuff that mainly just covers up the rust.

I don't want to paint my drums. just make them look like new again. :)

Venomous_X

Reaction score
want me to be absolutely honest? Plastidip the drum covers....its not permanent, takes 3 minutes and if you fubar them, peel and redo them..... :top: Mine still look brand new but you must just remember to tape off your studs :top:

holddeez08RR

Reaction score
want me to be absolutely honest? Plastidip the drum covers....its not permanent, takes 3 minutes and if you fubar them, peel and redo them..... :top: Mine still look brand new but you must just remember to tape off your studs :top:

That's not a bad idea man, i might have to add that to my list of things that I'm too lazy to do lol

Venomous_X

Reaction score
I will say this, its easier to clean and doesnt rust since its rubber paint.....They do stick the first time you pull your rim off, but only where the rim mounts to the drum. You do not see where it stuck.. :top:

Emanon

Reaction score
I scrubbed mine with brush and used DupliColor rattle can caliper paint and it is holding up well so far.

sixstringdave

Reaction score
I took my 90 degree die grinder and a scuff pad to mine. I even hit them a little bit with a wire wheel attatchment. I got them as good as a i could with those and blasted them with compressed air and then sprayed brake cleaner on them and let them dry real good.

Then i used high-temperature flat black paint in a rattle can and applied about 5 or 6 coats to them both. Making sure the coats were light and even. I let them dry for a couple hours while i was doing some other things in the garage and then put them on.

They look wicked awesome. Brand new appearance and they wont stand out if you use flat black. Do it this way and they will last a super long time.

EDIT: Added a sorta crappy pic if anyone wants to see. It was raining and i can get a better shot if someoe wants.

Painteddrums.jpg

Last edited:

sixstringdave

Reaction score
Yea, it will really help a lot. You gotta get all the rust off. I took mine to the metal !

I have an awesome craftsman compressor in the garage and love it. Its a big one so i can power anything that requires air to run. Really makes a lot of projects worth doing:top:

dj_lucas840

Reaction score
I just used compressed air and scrubbed the dirt all off good then used high temp paint, might not look brand new, hell the rest the truck don't! But they look dam good I think! U don't notice them like before!

SSSXR

Reaction score
damn those look nice sixstring..

so no products or anything eh? just grinded/sanded the rust off?

X-Caliber

Reaction score
WD-40 on the outsie of the drum brakes will get the rust off. I do not reccomend using them for the disc brakes, for obvious reasons. Once the WD-40 clears up that rust, I would reccomend a silicone spray to protect it from moisture and stop it from rusting back up. Found in all hardware stores:top:

Generation-X

Reaction score
Cant remember the name off the top of my head but there are alot of products out there that are non abrasive rust removers that work wonders when it comes to this kind of ordeal. If anything its better then PB Blaster type product

sixstringdave

Reaction score
damn those look nice sixstring..

so no products or anything eh? just grinded/sanded the rust off?

Yup, thats it! Took a while cause i was really getting it all off and making sure they were super clean. Then like i said, applied several light coats of flat black rattle can. I was told its not needed, but i used high temperature paint.

dramad1

Reaction score
im not saying try this on your truck but my mom uses onions to restore old antiques that have rust build up. some kinda acid or something in the onion. i have actual tryed it my self on some old throwing knifes and it took the rust right off. just cut the onion in half and rub it all over the rusted area and then wash and rinse, may have to repeat process. like i said im not saying try this on your truck but it is an old rust removing remidy

darthyota

Reaction score
mine looked like that then i hit them with high temp caliper paint didnt even take the rust off i just wanted to cover the rust cause its really easy to see my brakes through my wheels

Figmonkey

Reaction score
I pretty much did the same thing as sixstring did, but i just used the wire wheel brush, break cleaner and high temp paint. Ive had mine like that for about 2 years and it still looks good.

Top Bottom