Clutch Replacement Advice

Discussion in 'F/I Mods & Tuning' started by sntckr, Oct 7, 2017.

1. sntckr

sntckr Member

Fellas,

Struggling with what to do with my transmission on my lifted double cab. Clutch has been slipping for a while, but didn't want to put any money into the truck until Toyota confirmed it would replace my frame. It looks like I am finally getting a new frame. I always want the best of all worlds...I have 33" tires and armor body weight on top of my TRD S/C w/ 2.85 pulley. I will absolutely be getting a new clutch disc and pressure plate. I am not currently doing any serious off-roading, but still want some flywheel inertia for minor off-roading, mud, jeep trails, etc. I don't know yet if my flywheel just needs to be resurfaced or if it needs to be replaced. I also don't want to make the truck undriveable for the wifey who already doesn't like to drive it anyway. I am at 90K miles with lots of abuse on the tranny between off-roading, having fun on the street, and bad habits. I would like for whatever I do last longer than 90K, but I recognize that may not necessarily be an option. Should I go with stock clutch disc and pressure plate or a URD option, like Stage 2? If the flywheel is trashed, should I just replace it with stock? I am concerned that lightweight might not suit my driving, but I don't know???

Cheers.

2. TitanRattler813

TitanRattler813 Active Member

URD offers a heavier flywheel (more inertia, great for offroading) or a lightened steel one which isn't as miserable to drive as an aluminum one. My experience with the aluminum is that's its fun to accelerate at high rpm, but sucked for daily city driving. I wouldn't do it again

3. sntckr

sntckr Member

Thanks man. I appreciate you sharing your experience. I don't like the lag getting into 4th and 5th gear, but I recognize I spend more shifts in the first 3 gears. I don't want a heavier fly based upon what I have heard so far...

4. NHXRUNNER

NHXRUNNER "New Hampster"
    Staff Member

Call and talk to @Gadget. Explain your intended use. He'll point you in the right direction. I've got the lightweight steel and the stage 2 clutch. TRD S/C w/ 2.825 pulley. No slipping after 25k

5. sntckr

sntckr Member

Thanks man.

6. SoFloBlue

SoFloBlue Member

It sounds like a stock flywheel is for you. You don't do a lot of off road but you do some so I would put you right in the middle. Not light weight because you do go off road and not the heavy one because you don't frequently off road... does that make sense ? As for clutch I'd say upgrade so when you do abuse it the clutch can handle it.

7. FinnJ

FinnJ New Member

I have about the same situation, the clutch started to slip under hardest acceleration if repeated couple times. I’ve considered about URD stage 2 or Centerforce DF240098 Dual Friction. Going to the Centerforce, because URD’s clutch is said to have heavier pedal force. I’m also interested about URD Heavy-U flywheel, but maybe I am not changing it. Here is one good review of it: https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/urd-torque-u-heavy-flywheel.510812/

8. XMPLRY808

XMPLRY808 Active Member

For your needs I would stay stock fly wheels with upgraded clutch

9. easts1d3

easts1d3 Member

I have the competition clutch stage 3 and I love it. Ive had it in the truck for about 130,000 kms. The pedal feel is a lot stiffer then stock though.