Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Clutch Thread

nutt14

Reaction score
so I noticed my truck squeaking at idle, and when I press the clutch in just barely it goes away. Its a very annoying squeak like a lose belt. What is the remedy to this because it is driving me ****ing crazy. Also the gears engage just fine, my shifts are smooth and there is no slippage.

lingenfelterm

Reaction score
I also have the URD sleeve kit and mine has started squeaking. It doesn't bother me, but I was curious if anyone knows if it's going to mess anything up if I ignore it?

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
The way Toyota designed the bearing is for it to completely separate from the tines of the pressure plate. The tolerance is very small. My understanding of what actually causes the squeak is the input shaft wears down to a point that the bearing is able to wobble just enough to make intermittent contact with the pressure plate (The bearing could be wearing in the same fashion accomplishing the same thing). The sleeve is supposed to eliminate the wearing issue on the shaft but the bearing may still fail as the OEM one does. I think anytime you've got metal on metal it's not something you can completely ignore, but I've heard of many people driving with the squeak for a very long time with no further issues. That being said, I've also heard of the quill snapping off completely, hence the creation of the U-Fix hydro bearing by URD. So in other words, my answer to your question is as clear as mud.

spicciani2

Reaction score
My squeak is minor at 85k miles (not sure what previous owners swapped..) but I am just waiting for something to fail in this fated 6spd....

Reaction score
My xrunner had just over 120,000 before I replaced the clutch components. It squealed almost constantly. The flywheel was shot, it had small cracks and scrape marks from the rivets in the clutch disc. The pressure plate looked about the same, and the clutch disc had a whole pad missing. So I bought an lcengineering dual comp clutch kit along with some u.r.d. Parts including the quill repair kit, the 41lb flywheel and a short throw shifter kit. The whole job wasn’t that hard to do except for fitting the transmission out from under the truck sence I was just on ramps in the yard. The quill repair kit is a heaven sent for this truck no more squeal except for the tires. If I did it again though I’d probly just get everything from u.r.d. But I’m happy for now. In the future I’d like to try the aluminum two peace flywheel but it’s too rich for my blood as of now. I’m curios about the accumulator delete and will probly do that next.

Reaction score
I did have an occasional whine just after the instal and after reading as much as I could find about it I learned The face of the clutch release bearing and or the fingers on the pressure plate need a small amount of high temp high pressure grease. Get a long q tip with a very small amount of grease and apply it to this area via the inspection port infront of your clutch slave. Solved the issue for me I think the metal used for the pressure plate fingers didn’t like the hardened metal of the bearing assembly. I hope this helps somebody

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
I did have an occasional whine just after the instal and after reading as much as I could find about it I learned The face of the clutch release bearing and or the fingers on the pressure plate need a small amount of high temp high pressure grease. Get a long q tip with a very small amount of grease and apply it to this area via the inspection port infront of your clutch slave. Solved the issue for me I think the metal used for the pressure plate fingers didn’t like the hardened metal of the bearing assembly. I hope this helps somebody

I may have to give this a shot, can you post the grease you chose?

autobodyX

Reaction score
This works very well for a while till it wears off then it needs it again. I have done this on both of mine a few times.

Reaction score
I had some ceramic compound left over from a brake job I did for a friend. It’s very tacky and I used as little as I could

Ken

Reaction score
Need advice for ‘06 stock XR daily driver.

It has been squeaking for a couple months

New
  • Recently it is engaging all the way on the floor
  • Doesn't fully engage once a day causing low gear upshift grind
  • Has side to side play

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
Need advice for ‘06 stock XR daily driver.

It has been squeaking for a couple months

New
  • Recently it is engaging all the way on the floor
  • Doesn't fully engage once a day causing low gear upshift grind
  • Has side to side play

Sounds to me like you could have more than one root cause here. Does the squeak go away when you depress the clutch pedal? Or is it the pedal itself that squeaks? If it goes away with the pedal that issue is the throw-out bearing (clutch release bearing). If you're seeing the engagement point of the clutch move without making any adjustments, the clutch disc itself could be on it's way out. Are you running a stock shifter? The arm is two pieces with a rubber bushing that is non serviceable. If you're in gear and have significant play in the arm you will either need to replace the arm or do the "Coupe mod" to repair it.

Coupe's Shifter Mod - http://www.xr-underground.com/threads/write-up-coupes-shifter-mod.31063/#post-522167

mejbro

Reaction score
I second all the above info.
Also, check the plunger / clutch pedal adjustment bolt. The retaining nut may have come loose and with normal vibration, the bolt may have backed all the way out leading to sloppy engagement.

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
I second all the above info.
Also, check the plunger / clutch pedal adjustment bolt. The retaining nut may have come loose and with normal vibration, the bolt may have backed all the way out leading to sloppy engagement.

Also if it's the pedal itself that's squeaking (usually described as more of a creaking sound) grab the plunger rod and spin it slowly.....you should feel a position where it pops, that will typically solve that issue as well.

Ken

Reaction score
Sounds to me like you could have more than one root cause here. Does the squeak go away when you depress the clutch pedal? Or is it the pedal itself that squeaks? If it goes away with the pedal that issue is the throw-out bearing (clutch release bearing). If you're seeing the engagement point of the clutch move without making any adjustments, the clutch disc itself could be on it's way out. Are you running a stock shifter? The arm is two pieces with a rubber bushing that is non serviceable. If you're in gear and have significant play in the arm you will either need to replace the arm or do the "Coupe mod" to repair it.

Coupe's Shifter Mod - http://www.xr-underground.com/threads/write-up-coupes-shifter-mod.31063/#post-522167

Thanks for your insights.
1. Clutch squeaks with depression. Heard it while ordering drive through. No sound in cab.
2. Engagement on floor seems to happen when truck is cold.
3. Yes stock shifter, play does not seem excessive.

mejbro

Reaction score
Yup, that's the one.
But you don't have to remove any dash components.
I just slide underneath with my 2 wrenches and flashlight to make the adjustment. You wanna make sure the pushrod bolt is seated first.
You'll know if it's seated because any adjustment you make will make the clutch pedal visibly travel. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you want your pedal height at 5 1/4" - 5 3/8" from the floor on a stock assembly.

mejbro

Reaction score
In the manual it says to push down firmly on the carpeting to get an accurate with your tape measurer.

Top Bottom