Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Considering supercharger, is it worth it?

Gadget

Reaction score
Yes supercharging is worth it!!

If you are trying to talk yourself out of doing it, then whatever you do, do not drive one with boost.......

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
If you're getting the Magnuson from URD then you don't need to refresh the ECU, it comes with a programmer from Bully dog that does the same thing.

I would go with the no tuning option and pay for the flash at the dealer. I don't trust Bully Dog for a second...

Billy182

Reaction score
I would go with the no tuning option and pay for the flash at the dealer. I don't trust Bully Dog for a second...
Thanks, I tend to agree regarding aftermarket vs a factory certified flash. My truck is a 2013, and having a factory spec upgrade is the main reason I'm going with the magnuson.
My vette was completely done with aftermarket fuel system, meth, completely forged 427 C5R engine, aftermarket tuning. It was an animal and at idle it sounded like a raped old school cammed big block.
However, in the back of my mind I was always waiting for something to break and leave me stranded.
The Hellcat in the other hand, is a completely different car, tame and less power in comparison, but it's brand new from the factory and that alone sold me.
I'm guessing the magnuson flash is the old TRD one that's a compromise tune, and that's fine for me since like I said this will be a daily truck, and I have no intention of going nuts with the mods, wheels/tires, big brakes, XII lowering kit with QA1''s and front/rear sway bars, and a decent radio is all I'm doing, then I'm just going to rack up the miles and enjoy driving it.
Thanks again for everyone's comments

autobodyX

Reaction score
Thanks all for replies and thoughts so far. The truck is put away for the winter (north jersey here). I figured I might as well drive my old truck (03 S10 xtreme) through the winter before I sell it.
As far as the XR goes, I've got almost everything I need so far waiting for my installation new in boxes. This includes a short shift kit, big brake kit, XII drop kit with QA1's, a new set of 285's on new wheels from tire rack, and a 8" alpine head unit, amp module, all the speakers plus a new 10inch sub and amp.
The last thing will be the supercharger, and from what I've read so far, I'll be pricing out and ordering a magnuson kit soon.
Thanks ahead for any other comments regarding long term use of these units, effects on engine longevity, etc

The X-runner with boost was the intended designed, it is not complete without it. Having had both, a supercharged truck is is superior. The BBK was a whise decision. Full exhaust is needed to fully benefit from boost. I would also recommend a smaller pulley, I do not recommend a light weight flywheel for a daily driver. You will need to upgrade the clutch and throw out bearing. When you get tired of spinning one wheel you will need a locker. I laugh at all the talk about blower whine. It is faint compared to a hellcat. If you can get URD to sell you a Ucon EMS I would get it too.

Billy182

Reaction score
The X-runner with boost was the intended designed, it is not complete without it. Having had both, a supercharged truck is is superior. The BBK was a whise decision. Full exhaust is needed to fully benefit from boost. I would also recommend a smaller pulley, I do not recommend a light weight flywheel for a daily driver. You will need to upgrade the clutch and throw out bearing. When you get tired of spinning one wheel you will need a locker. I laugh at all the talk about blower whine. It is faint compared to a hellcat. If you can get URD to sell you a Ucon EMS I would get it too.
Thanks, the clutch and posi rear are valid concerns for sure, I had a spec 3 clutch in the vettte and never had problems with it. I looked at the eaton diff that urd sells and I'll more than likely get one of those.
I haven't researched exhaust yet, I want to keep it quiet for sure, I think trd had an exhaust option?

Gadget

Reaction score
The TRD is made at the same place that does the factory exhaust. Same pipes, the only difference is a smaller more restrictive muffler and a shinny tip.

Billy182

Reaction score
Ok, so here's another question, a regular eaton posi or the trutrac

Billy182

Reaction score
Honestly I can see myself falling down the rabbit hole with this project. The eaton posi unit is making 100% sense right now, and an eventual clutch upgrade that I'll have more time to consider.
A 2.85 pulley sounds enticing, but questions arise if the flash upgrade can handle that, I sure as &$@ don't want the knock sensors pulling back timing or other issues.
Sorry for my complete newbness regarding this truck guys, I actually have a lot of experience, but this is my first Toyota and I want to do it right for a daily driver that's got some halfway decent power.

Billy182

Reaction score
Btw, mine's a 2013, electronic lsd? Can I even change that? Jesus I've got a lot to learn about this truck

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
Honestly I can see myself falling down the rabbit hole with this project. The eaton posi unit is making 100% sense right now, and an eventual clutch upgrade that I'll have more time to consider.
A 2.85 pulley sounds enticing, but questions arise if the flash upgrade can handle that, I sure as &$@ don't want the knock sensors pulling back timing or other issues.
Sorry for my complete newbness regarding this truck guys, I actually have a lot of experience, but this is my first Toyota and I want to do it right for a daily driver that's got some halfway decent power.

I'm running the URD Supergrip 2.825" pulley on the TRD reflash with the Walbro 255 fuel pump upgrade. Based on my AFRs I'm still running rich at high RPMs. For whatever reason the TRD reflash acts differently truck to truck. Some get a very lean tune, some very rich, some dead on. You won't know until you get it done and check the AFRs.

autobodyX

Reaction score
I'm running the URD Supergrip 2.825" pulley on the TRD reflash with the Walbro 255 fuel pump upgrade. Based on my AFRs I'm still running rich at high RPMs. For whatever reason the TRD reflash acts differently truck to truck. Some get a very lean tune, some very rich, some dead on. You won't know until you get it done and check the AFRs.

Same for me except I have the stealth 2.85. I have no issues like running lean. My exhaust tip stays black.

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
Same for me except I have the stealth 2.85. I have no issues like running lean. My exhaust tip stays black.
Ya, I've definitely got the murdered out exhaust tip mod too. At the last New England mini-meet @akakrill and I lined up for a 50 roll race, @o0opackersfano0o said we looked like a pair of diesels when we got on it.

Billy182

Reaction score
Now thanhs to xr-u I'm seriously adding to my mod list. The supercharger and fuel pump upgrade definitely being added, plus more than likely a posi rear and perhaps a 2.85 pulley... maybe after that an exhaust? I'll need to do more research! lol

Blondebaerde

Reaction score
I always thought this truck should have come stock with the TRD from Toyota. It will definitely make it perform more like it looks. Yeah, a bit of whine, but controllable if you stay out of boost. As mentioned previously, it won't compete with the other cars your used too, even if you do all the other upgrade mods. I installed mine within 2 weeks of purchasing it about a year ago and I wouldn't have kept it if I didn't. I say, if you plan on keeping it, then go for it. You should enjoy the DD as much as the weekend warrior.

Of course they should have, along with the big brake kit from TRD I had them install before I rolled mine off the showroom floor. The stock brakes are unacceptable, the TRD kit more than sufficient for my purposes. Ditto the stock V6: barely acceptable, the TRD Supercharger is what it should have had stock. I should have done that too from Square 1.

I think I posted on this once or twice here in years past. To recap:

With c. 90K miles on my '07, had the TRD (roots type) installed by one of the Seattle area dealers who has definitely done quite a few installs. We reached a reasonable deal.

I'm about to turn 110K miles, 2.5 years later. I have zero issues with the TRD. It took the tolerable stock V6 to "almost tolerable", the truck scoots right along though nothing like my former 911 Turbo and/or my current 911 GTS (normal aspiration). In no way are these serious performance vehicles compared-to, which isn't really a fair comparison. I figure if one wants a muscle car or truck, go buy one (or do a real build-out of your XRunner like some guys do on this forum).

It is what it is, a mild performance increase from a device installed and warranteed by TRD and Toyota. I expected little and got a lot more, but it isn't a serious performance device. TRD wouldn't warranty it otherwise, the powertrain in general strikes me as under stressed which is likely how they want it (for longevity).

All that said, with little or no cognitive dissonance (mental justification for spending more than $5K installed), I really do get a kick out of the improved torque. I'm not a shy driver and won't stand for piloting garbage that can't get out of its own way; that is now solved. I'm keeping the truck until the wheels fall off, hopefully another ten years (ten year anniversary from brand new just passed this Thanksgiving).

Billy182

Reaction score
Of course they should have, along with the big brake kit from TRD I had them install before I rolled mine off the showroom floor. The stock brakes are unacceptable, the TRD kit more than sufficient for my purposes. Ditto the stock V6: barely acceptable, the TRD Supercharger is what it should have had stock. I should have done that too from Square 1.

I think I posted on this once or twice here in years past. To recap:

With c. 90K miles on my '07, had the TRD (roots type) installed by one of the Seattle area dealers who has definitely done quite a few installs. We reached a reasonable deal.

I'm about to turn 110K miles, 2.5 years later. I have zero issues with the TRD. It took the tolerable stock V6 to "almost tolerable", the truck scoots right along though nothing like my former 911 Turbo and/or my current 911 GTS (normal aspiration). In no way are these serious performance vehicles compared-to, which isn't really a fair comparison. I figure if one wants a muscle car or truck, go buy one (or do a real build-out of your XRunner like some guys do on this forum).

It is what it is, a mild performance increase from a device installed and warranteed by TRD and Toyota. I expected little and got a lot more, but it isn't a serious performance device. TRD wouldn't warranty it otherwise, the powertrain in general strikes me as under stressed which is likely how they want it (for longevity).

All that said, with little or no cognitive dissonance (mental justification for spending more than $5K installed), I really do get a kick out of the improved torque. I'm not a shy driver and won't stand for piloting garbage that can't get out of its own way; that is now solved. I'm keeping the truck until the wheels fall off, hopefully another ten years (ten year anniversary from brand new just passed this Thanksgiving).
Thanks for the write up regarding your experience. This is exactly what I was looking to hear, and exactly what I expect from the mild performance improvement.
Good luck with your Porsche. I used to race a twin turbo RX7 with SCCA and mixed it up on tracks like Rockingham, Pocono, Limerock, and Bridgehampton with the Porsche guys, all good fun and experience I'll never regret

autobodyX

Reaction score
Thanks for the write up regarding your experience. This is exactly what I was looking to hear, and exactly what I expect from the mild performance improvement.
Good luck with your Porsche. I used to race a twin turbo RX7 with SCCA and mixed it up on tracks like Rockingham, Pocono, Limerock, and Bridgehampton with the Porsche guys, all good fun and experience I'll never regret

Once a year several of us get together at Virginia international and mix it up with the cars in a HPDE event, perhaps that is something you might like. It's not wheel to wheel racing but it is a chance to put the X on a quality track.

Last edited by a moderator:

Billy182

Reaction score
Sounds like fun for sure. I had a lot of fun on the track, but promised myself long ago that if I ever got back into it I'd take it to the next level and buy a formula ford. For me, the x will be just a fun to drive everyday vehicle

Billy182

Reaction score
A little update here, first though, I'd like to thank everyone who responded to this thread when I first posted it, because today I took the truck for its first ride after everything was done (you guessed it, I'm a driveway mechanic so the truck sat untouched all winter)
It pulls really nice from down low, drivability is way up compared to when it was normally aspirated, and the brakes are like night and day. Other than that, truetrac posi with traction bar, QA1 shocks, lowered 2", DT long tubes. Overall I'm very happy. Now I just need to burn the gas out of the tank so I can install the fuel pump upgrade kit. Here's a few pics:
998593D5-D546-433B-B6C9-A9ABABDED617_zps3ln78k3w.jpg

28290716-5B0E-4F3D-88C3-F22D7E2D99A7_zpshzel7quz.jpg

EF4ECF17-5CFF-43AD-90A6-B6BA578BC00F_zpsjcyu6uvn.jpg

AFEF0A85-22A5-4A96-9AFE-5BD77EF769E5_zpsdxmoejlb.jpg

Top Bottom