Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

E Fan & all aluminum radiator

JPAYNE722

Reaction score
Has anybody came to conclusion that the efan makes a hp difference,also a all aluminum radiator,because i know ours has plastic tanks which allways keep heat in them

x-runner kid

Reaction score
There has been many debates on the efans but I'm not sure if anyone has any dyno proof is frees up any power. Might be a slight bit of parastatic drag loss but it's not always running. My fan rarely kicks on (pacific NW is not warm) as for the all aluminum radiator I don't see much of a difference except maybe weight savings but doubtful. If you want the truck to run cooler install a cooler thermostat. I have yet to hear about anyone's trucks overheating.

Gadget

Reaction score
My 4Runner was used to develop the FAL kit for the older 5VZ engine. So, most likely I have been running an electric fan longer than anyone here.

On a hot day and you are running your A/C stopped at a light and things are hot, the mechanical fan will lock up and pull some air. When you pull off and try to accelerate and the fan clutch is still locked fully, it will eat a LOT of HOT if you try to spin the engine to redline. Most likely well over 40 HP.

I used to have a Pathfinder with a 3.0L V6. That fan clutch was very aggressive and would always lock the fan at just about every red light and it would sound like a airplane trying to accelerate away from the light with that fan going nuts. Hated it.

I have never experienced that as much on the Toyotas. The fan seems unlock pretty fast and unloads the engine way better than the Pathfinder did.

So, when the fan clutch is not locked up it really is not pulling a ton of power from the engine. When it is, it will...

Now over the years there have been issues with the FAL fan kit on my truck, and yes it is nicer than the kits they ship. The prototype was nicer, better brackets, and better fan controller.

First issue was the fuse assembly melted down disabling the fan causing the engine to overheat. FAL has upgraded that part and that should not be an issue anymore. A few years later the rubber seal dry rotted and fell into the fans and that jammed them up and burned up the motors. I called FAL and told them it was me with the original prototype and they send me new motors, blades, seal and so on. The only part that was not replaced was the original frame. Later the really cool fan controller that never made it into production failed. They replaced that with the fan controller they ship now in kits which is much bulkier and not as nice.

There are good point with the fan conversion. On engine start you do not get that fan noise until the clutch loosens up. On hot days there does seem to be a bit of power that is not dragging the engine down on acceleration leaving a light.

Overall my experience has had me leave the stock fans on all my other vehicles alone. I run stock fans on everything else.

G

SgtBadA

Reaction score
Well I'm running the clutch fan with the UCON installed and a cooler thermostat. My fan doesn't really ever engage except on start up and if it's really hot outside. Nearing triple digit temperatures. I'm sure at the track it engages and disengages but I'm to busy paying attention to other things. I don't feel much of a drag on the engine but here lately in 70 degree temps my water temp is around 175 ish with the 170 degree thermostat.

Nashman

Reaction score
I run e fans on every thing I own and I do plan to run one on this truck i have had one fan fail from flex alite

the pin snapped and cause the fan blade to go loose and one as mention about melted a fuse.... all useing there kits

issues I found is there kits are junk there controlers are junk they pules the fan on and off may be why the pin broke.

then I bought a flex alight brand new heavy duty for the truck and it had a bad harmonic to it.. kind a like listen to bass note ....grrrrr I have run tones of these faqsn but the last little stint of them have pissed me off.

So now i think i may stick with spal fans they cost more but I have never heard a issue with them at all

and wire it in my self

justin13703

Reaction score
I had an electric fan set up on my Chevrolet I had before the Tacoma. When they're set up right they are nice. The only issue with them is the added complexity of them, lots of additional points of failure over a clutch fan. It is nice to be able to fine tune the on/off points with an electric fan if you change your thermostat temp. I never used an electric fan on another vehicle after that, not that I had issues with mine, I just didn't see enough real advantages out of it to justify the cost and complexity over a clutch fan. If your truck is on the track a lot though, I'd say it's worth it.

Nashman

Reaction score
spal big money.... but they are very nice, I have one for my dirt bike

spal is better then flex alite

Gadget

Reaction score
Electric fans eat HP also when they are running.

You also have to factor in the reliability factor. So far in all of my Toyotas the stock fan has never failed. Every one that I converted to electric failed.

One of my trucks was used to develop a fan kit for FAL. The stuff I had was better than was was released in the kit and even with that over the years I have had one problem after another with it.

FinnJ

Reaction score
I've liked the belt drive fan, so simple and reliable, just wondering how much it takes hp.

Is anybody dynoed with and without Toyota viscous fan?

Top Bottom