Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

FAQ: Ignition On Power Source

K2

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to install my gauges and need an ignition on power source near the gauge pod (preferably). I was hoping that you guys that having installed gauges may be able to help me out so that I don't have to poke around and find one.

Thanks guys!

ADDITION TO ORIGINAL POST:
I found an ignition on source (as you'll read later in this thread) - but wanted to add this to the beginning of the post as well. If you remove the change holder, below/left the steering wheel (just pull up and out) then you will see this:

ignition_power.jpg

Stevenredx

Reaction score
I can't call out any wire right off hand but the easiest thing you could do is get one of those add a fuse things and just tap into the fuse box. :top: Or get your voltmeter out and start probing :biggrin:

I'm sure one of the guys here has a quick answer for you tho :top:

SUODRAXAH

Reaction score
You can run it to the power wire up in the overhead where the map lights are. There's a power wire thats not in use on XRs because we don't have the compass/temp thing. It's kinda far from the pillar but its really easy to run a wire tucked up into the headliner where it meets the windshield.
It might not be the best way, but I rather do it like that instead of messing with the fuses... I have my V1 hardwired like this and it works excellent.

Use this write up if you need help.
http://www.xr-underground.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=72

The light Green wire is the switched power.

K2

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's actually not a bad idea Eric. Going up the Pillar and across the headliner isn't much farther than going to the fuse box. I may go that route b/c I need to start running wire and don't have any other options right now.

Thanks!

Jonathan

Reaction score
i used a fuse under the fuse box in the engine bay, there is a rubber grommet that goes right through. i would go this way only because you get the added protection of a fuse for sure, im not sure that the compass thingy has one.

jon

K2

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
i used a fuse under the fuse box in the engine bay, there is a rubber grommet that goes right through.

Did you use an add-a-fuse? I could use the same location as the FLM in the fuse box since I didn't do my FLM that way. I'll need an add-a-fuse tho, yes?

Jonathan

Reaction score
Did you use an add-a-fuse?

i used a small fuse tap. same kind that comes with the TRD charger. its a small brass part that attaches to one side of the pin on the fuse.

rpmspeedyblue

Reaction score
Have you tried the ACC panel under the dash. I believe you might be able to tap off power from there.

Jonathan

Reaction score
Have you tried the ACC panel under the dash. I believe you might be able to tap off power from there.

there is a blank spot in that fuse panel you can use as well. i have my gauge for my compressor hooked up there.....good call.

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
Tap a fused connection into one of the two heavy gauge power wires in the ignition harness, use it for all your gizmo devices. Then you have a safe switched ignition high amp power source.

Last edited:

K2

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Good call! :top: There is a large (probably 16 gauge) wire right in the access panel coming off a harness that has ignition power. The wire is white/teal. I'll snap a pick later for future reference.

Thanks guys!

ignition_power.jpg

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
Good call! :top: There is a large (probably 16 gauge) wire right in the access panel coming off a harness that has ignition power. The wire is white/teal. I'll snap a pick later for future reference.

Thanks guys!

I believe the White/Teal tracer wire is one of the ignition harness wires im speaking of.

MikeHickman

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to install my gauges and need an ignition on power source near the gauge pod (preferably). I was hoping that you guys that having installed gauges may be able to help me out so that I don't have to poke around and find one.

Thanks guys!

Depending upon what gauges you are installing, sometimes you need a power source that stays on when the engine is cranking, something like an AutoMeter electric boost gauge that uses a MAP sensor for a signal. If you hook this gauge up to a B+ power source that is interrupted when you crank the engine, the gauge will never read correctly. This is because as soon as you turn the key to the start position, the gauge automatically calibrates itself to the local outside air pressure, i.e., altitude. The problem begins when you crank the engine to start it and power is momentarily interrupted to the gauge. Bingo! As soon as the engine starts and power to the gauge is resumed, it recalibrates itself, but now it is reading a manifold vacuum versus the normal outside air pressure. As a result, the boost gauge will never read correctly.

A way to get around this is to use the same fuse tap in the fuse box as TRD uses for the TRD S/C. This is shown in the S/C Installation Instructions that have been posted on the forum.

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
There is also constant power wires in the ignition harness. I don't believe he is FI; great advice though.

I was reading what you wrote above (about initial calibration) in the boost gauge install instructions and wouldn't have thought about it until it wasn't working properly (if I hadn't read the instructions).

Definitely good advice for those setting up boost gauges to consider.

The white wire with the red tracer or the white wire with the blue tracer are a constant high amp 12V source in the ignition harness (which one or if both are I don't remember).

The White wire with the teal/green tracer is a switched IGN ACC wire if I remember correctly.

*Always probe the wires to verify regardless of the charts

Last edited:

rpmspeedyblue

Reaction score
Damn good info everyone :top: This stuff should be on a sticky somewhere for future modifications. :biggrin:

Super Werty

Reaction score

Thanks guys!

can you get me a picture of that, I'm in the process of hooking up the gauges

also, about the add a fuse thing, where do i plug it in?

and lastly, where is a good ground?

A picture with arrows would be greatly appreciated!:biggrin:

4VsX

Reaction score
That is one of the best sources for ignition power. If I remember correctly there is no accessory wire on our vehicle, acc like "blower" runs with ignition. Power is constant in the on position and running. So If you dont wanna run to battery, that is one the best places to steal power. My two cents.

K2

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll get some pictures today during my lunch break and post them up for you guys on this thread. :top:

Top Bottom