Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

FAQ: Short Shifter Comparison

daveczrn

Reaction score
So i had not seen this done anywhere and there is alot of confusion as to what short shifter is the best or shortest. I had the URD short shifter kit installed in my truck but also had bought the B&M sport shifter. I also measured the stock shifter as well.

A special thanks to BigMikeyStyle247 for letting me come out and measure the TRD Short shifter.. Also letting me take his sweet looking truck out for a drive to really feel the shifter.

How the measurements were taken. First i put a piece of masking tape on the dashboard underneath the the heating and air controls. I removed the shifter ball. With the shifter Not in any gear just resting in the middle I put a square on the dash and lined it up with the center of the shifter rod. I made two lines on the masking tape where the square had lined up so that i had a point of reference to line everything up to. All measurements for the shifters were taken from this point. I used a standard machinist ruler (scale) to measure from the mark i made on the masking tape to the center of the shifter rod. As well all of the measurements i made in gear were in its resting spot in respective gear. Reverse and Center are more just reference points.

STOCK
resting in the center 6.875"
1st gear 4.562"
2nd gear 9.000"
3rd gear 4.500"
4th gear 9.000"
5th gear 4.812"
6th gear 9.062"
Reverse 5.625"
the difference between the gears is where you are really looking here also known as
The shifter throw
1st to 2nd 4.437"
2nd to 3rd 4.500"
3rd to 4th 4.500"
4th to 5th 4.187"
5th to 6th 4.250"

URD
resting in the center 6.750"
1st gear 5.187"
2nd gear 8.250"
3rd gear 5.187"
4th gear 8.187"
5th gear 5.312"
6th gear 8.312"
Reverse 5.125"
The shifter throw
1st to 2nd 3.062"
2nd to 3rd 3.062"
3rd to 4th 3.000"
4th to 5th 2.875"
5th to 6th 3.000"

B&M sport shifter
resting in the center 6.875"
1st gear 5.250"
2nd gear 8.312"
3rd gear 5.375"
4th gear 8.375"
5th gear 5.625"
6th gear 8.437"
Reverse 5.250"
The shifter throw
1st to 2nd 3.062"
2nd to 3rd 2.937"
3rd to 4th 3.000"
4th to 5th 2.750"
5th to 6th 2.812"

TRD short shifter
resting in the center 6.312"
1st gear 4.625"
2nd gear 7.75"
3rd gear 4.625"
4th gear 7.782"
5th gear 4.687"
6th gear 7.875"
Reverse 4.750"
The shifter throw
1st to 2nd 3.125"
2nd to 3rd 3.125"
3rd to 4th 3.157"
4th to 5th 3.095"
5th to 6th 3.125"

So which one is the shortest??? The B&M but not by anything you will feel while shifting. so i really wouldn't call it Better just yet.

How about the feel of the shifters
Stock The stock shifter you know about. Pretty long throw with alot of slop in there. Very smooth though with very little noise and vibration coming from the transmission.
URD Essentially your using the stock shifter with an extension on the bottom of it. So the feel is very similar with just a shorter throw and less slop in there. But again it is smooth with very little transmission noise and vibrations coming to your hand while driving.
B&M Solid shifter. Nice short throw like the urd but no slop in the shifter at all. You defiantly know that you are shifting when you move the stick. Because it's a solid stick you also get a bit of whine from the transmission as well as alittle vibration as well.
TRD Very sporty. Has a good short throw without the stiffness of the B&M. No audible noise coming from the shifter at all. Very smooth. Would Definatly recomend it for the extra money if you want more of a "this is how the factory should have done it to begine with " feel.

THE COMPARISON...the B&M shifter really does feel different than the other two when driving. The B&M feels tight and more what you would think a race car would feel. BOTH the TRD and the URD have a similur feel with smoothness. They both will shorten the throw to something much more reasonable. But the TRD will last in the long run because of the limitations of the stock shifter. The URD is not anything to just overlook though because although it has a little slop, It's much cheaper than it's closest feeling SS and there is a fix to get rid of some of that slop. Some people may even like this a little better. If your teaching someone to drive stick I'm sure it would be easier if you had the URD. As well if you are going to have a conversation with someone it would be nicer to have the quieter stick. I think the reason why alot of people feel that the URD shifter is longer is because of the rubber inside the stock shifter. You are able to push the shifter further because the rubber will squish. It's not really a longer throw just more room for the shifter to move once it's in gear.

In conclusion do i think i would choose any of the short shifters over the other.. NO. They all work really well. I think it will come down to personal prefrence with this one. Me coming from a racing background i really like the tightness of the B&M. But when i am just riding with my girl it would be nice to have something alittle smoother. If you still have the stock shifter and you find a good deal on any of these SS i would jump on it. Definatly a GOOD upgrade to do.

:driver:

Last edited:

RedXr

Reaction score
Great write up dude! This is cold hard fact right here. I have the URD but am not opposed to any brand, URD pricing just work the best for me. Great job dude, thanks.

Stevenredx

Reaction score
VERY NICE COMPARISON... thanks for taking the time to do this. :rock:

I have sticked this thread in the FAQ section of the forum. :top:

KillaX

Reaction score
THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION! I WAS WONDERING THE SAME THING CAUSE I'M IN THE MARKET FOR A SHORT SHIFTER.. GREAT WRITE UP!:top:

rich017

Reaction score
Very nice write up!! I have the URD but want to feel the B&M to compare

daveczrn

Reaction score
Thank you guys.. I hope this clarifies alot of rumors with the shifters.

Anyone with a TRD shifter and about a 15min. worth of time they can lend me in the NE philadelphia to Trenton area i can get that done too. If you can come to my store you can play Some PS3 while you wait.

XrunnIT

Reaction score
Could you post a pic of the tape setup that you used so whoever is kind enough to finish this can make sure they are doing it the same way? :top:

Hitman

Reaction score
Could you post a pic of the tape setup that you used so whoever is kind enough to finish this can make sure they are doing it the same way? :top:

Yeah Ive got the TRD SS :smile:

Bobby B

Reaction score
I noticed the B&M is noisy but I also noticed that if I drove around with the stock shifter knob off it was a lot more quiet. I purchases a new shifter knob that I am hoping will dampen some of the noise. It should be here soon
:top:

daveczrn

Reaction score
I noticed the B&M is noisy but I also noticed that if I drove around with the stock shifter knob off it was a lot more quiet. I purchases a new shifter knob that I am hoping will dampen some of the noise. It should be here soon
:top:

really.. ill have to try that out.

I'll see if i can get some pictures up later.

eXuser01

Reaction score
Thank you guys.. I hope this clarifies alot of rumors with the shifters.

Anyone with a TRD shifter and about a 15min. worth of time they can lend me in the NE philadelphia to Trenton area i can get that done too. If you can come to my store you can play Some PS3 while you wait.

aww man im half hour from the phillly if i knew this i let go your way on my truck bu ti just sold my trd...where are you in philly sorry for off topic

great write up :top: :top:

daveczrn

Reaction score
bensalem, langhorn oxford valley area. that's where i'm at mostly

NITRAM-X

Reaction score
my urd shifter has gotten really sloppy all of a sudden:thumpdown:

daveczrn

Reaction score
No problem... It really didnt feel like a longer throw. Really felt like the URD when i had first installed it on my truck.

Top Bottom