Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

favorite type of oil filter

favorite type of oil filter

• Amsoil

Votes: 32 13.0%
  • Mobile1

Votes: 36 14.6%
  • OEM

Votes: 72 29.3%
  • Fram

Votes: 25 10.2%
  • Purolator

Votes: 14 5.7%
  • K&N

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Bosch

Votes: 6 2.4%
  • Other

Votes: 20 8.1%

• Total voters

Gators Taco

<a . href="http://www.xr-underground.com/forum/sho
Reaction score
Amsoil has a new filter for the X(Ea15k51). I'll be changing from the fram to AMS on my next oil change. Took the fram apart after 8000 miles and was still good. The AMS is good for 15000 with the AMS oil. Took apart the one for the Accord(Ea20) after 8000 miles and still good.

nutt14

Reaction score
i use mobile 1 filter/oil, off the subject but i also used it in my SUV and got 275,000 miles on it b4 it was totaled ><

o5oldblue

Reaction score
I use Wix. My Dad had his machine shop and I noticed what filters and oil were being used on the engines. some of these filters listed I would never use. we did the filter test and bought some new ones and cut them open stretched the paper out and what a difference. I will stick with Wix filters for now. FYI it is also in a carquest and napa gold box if you don't have an actual parts supplier selling the wix name. some parts stores will have the filter cut out display on their counter

Reaction score
Well being that I'm overseas currently and I haven't driven the truck long enough to warrant an oil change yet (though it will need one before I return), I'll probably stick to what I've used in the past. Mobile1 with Mobile1 full synth.

That begs a question (please don't flame me for asking here, I just need a simple yes or no answer) but is full synth necessary on my N/A XR? I had a turbo Mazda last time and that's why I went full synth. I also hear once you go full synth, you need to stay full synth and that shit is expensive.

Murderface

Reaction score
Well being that I'm overseas currently and I haven't driven the truck long enough to warrant an oil change yet (though it will need one before I return), I'll probably stick to what I've used in the past. Mobile1 with Mobile1 full synth.

That begs a question (please don't flame me for asking here, I just need a simple yes or no answer) but is full synth necessary on my N/A XR? I had a turbo Mazda last time and that's why I went full synth. I also hear once you go full synth, you need to stay full synth and that shit is expensive.

FYI Mobile 1 ISN'T a full synthetic oil:top: They use a conventional base stock instead of synthetic base stock. Only Amsoil, Redline, Royal Purple and Castrol use pure 100% Full Synthetic Oil. I may have missed another Full Synthetic oil:hmmmm2:.
U can switch to synthetic anytime u want and switch back to conventional anytime u want and even mix them 50/50, that's why there's synthetic blend oil it's half conventional and half synthetic and half the price of full synthetic. The only issue one could have with using synthetic is if u already have an oil leak, it will actually leak more because the synthetic oil molecules are smaller the conventional molecules allowing them to pass thru smaller passages.

You don't need synthetic. It is a matter of choice.

Sure u don't have to and there's plenty of proof with tons of cars/trucks that have 300K+ in miles on conventional oil. But if u can afford it use it, it's far more superior then conventional oil and with the detergents that are used keeps ur motor cleaner. It's also much more slick then conventional oil.

Last edited:

x07runner

Reaction score
NEVER!! use a FRAM filter our engines cant handle them, the micron count on is not tight enough even just a NAPA GOLD filter would be better than FRAM its been tested over and over. ive been a tech for the last 10 yrs and i would never put one in any new engine with the tolerances we run these days. MOBILE1, BOSCH, or OEM

MplsX

Reaction score
The only issue one could have with using synthetic is if u already have an oil leak, it will actually leak more because the synthetic oil molecules are smaller the conventional molecules allowing them to pass thru smaller passages.

Synthetic oils are long-chain molecules, while dino oils consist of both long-chain and short-chain molecules. Long-chain molecules are why synthetic oils maintain their viscosity much longer than conventional oils.

landshark

Reaction score
Purolator has always worked well for me. If I wanted to spend more, then Mobil would be the one. You can't go wrong with OEM either.

Murderface

Reaction score
Personally my favorite type of oil filter is the cheapest type from Pep Boys that someone has taken out and replaced with a Royal Purple oil filter hint hint wink wink! Much cheaper that way too lolz, saves me about $10 easy!

The only issue one could have with using synthetic is if u already have an oil leak, it will actually leak more because the synthetic oil molecules are smaller the conventional molecules allowing them to pass thru smaller passages.

Synthetic oils are long-chain molecules, while dino oils consist of both long-chain and short-chain molecules. Long-chain molecules are why synthetic oils maintain their viscosity much longer than conventional oils.

So what are u saying? That what I wrote isn't true? If so then what I read from a few oil manufacturer websites was wrong.

Last edited:
Top Bottom