Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Feeler: Tail of the Dragon/Deals Gap Meet/Roadtrip

CorollaJ2005

Reaction score
Since the weather is getting nice (finally) I think now would be a good time to bring this up. For the last FOUR years I've tried to get some people together to take a road trip down to Tail of the Dragon/Deal's Gap in Tennessee and North Carolina. Everyone is always really stoked and excited to go at first, but end up backing out at the last minute. I would really love to go, I need a vacation from work and taking a long drive is just what I need. Last year I said screw it and drove across the country to check out TORC's 15th annual Toyota Fest in Cali and I won furthest driven. :p

All the info you'd need are on these 2 sites pretty much.

http://www.dealsgap.com/

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/

I want to start planning now so we can make this happen around the middle of May to the end of June. I know it gets crazy down there the first couple of weeks following Memorial Day weekend. I was thinking about making this a 3 tor 5 day long weekend trip. We could leave on a Thursday/Friday and come back on a Sunday night or Monday. There's lots to do down there, especially in Gatlinburg. As long as there's enough people over 21, we shouldn't have a problem getting a room or what not. I looked over some ideas from last year and there's a few good hotel's we could stay at.

I'm just throwing the idea out there. I'm going no matter what, I've waited too long to not go. Tell me what you guys all think.

We could possibly have a install/maintenance meet the weekend before to get everyone's car running tip top with a fresh oil change and new brakes if you need them. I'm more than happy to volunteer my time/house/tools for anyone who would need them. I really want to make this work.

I'm posting this to gauge interest on a few forums (all Toyota related :D )

Here's what I dug up from my past posts...

For those that don't know, the tail of the dragon is an 11 mile stretch of road that is on the TN and NC border. It is a mountain road with many twists and turns. 318 to be exact on the tail. There are also other roads around there that are just as great.

loop.jpg

Maps of the Dragon
poster2005.jpg

Maps of the Cherohala Skyway
CHEROHALA_nc_map.gif

chero_tn_map.gif

Since there is higher police force in TN on the roads, I searched the maps and there are roads in NC that are good as well. Here is a map of a big loop that includes the Dragon, the Cherohala skyway, as well as other roads. This way we can keep it easy in TN where there are cops and push the limits a bit more in NC because there isn't much enforcement there.
loopwd6.gif

You can't tell me that this doesn't look like the most fun thing EVAR!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwmjfUm1uIU

Limitless

Reaction score
Depends on where work has me at the time. Been wanting to go down there for some time in something that can actually handle the roads. Was down there for work once and did it in a ford escape (rental) but that wasnt really exiting. I'd probably plan to bring the bike down as well and do it with that on one of the days. There is also The Snake/Hometrack 421 a little further north (bout an hour from deals gap i think) thats basically the same scenario as tail of the dragon, but less crowded from what i hear.

CorollaJ2005

Reaction score
I'm waiting for interest to build on a few other forums and when stuff starts to get collected I'll post up some solid dates so we can actually plan this out. I'm glad there's already some interest on here. A little forewarning though, I'll probably be driving the Celica down for gas and just cause it'll handle better haha.

Top Bottom