Front main seal thanks to MMO

Discussion in 'Stock Performance/Mechanical' started by bluXkid, Jan 17, 2017.

1. bluXkid

bluXkid Member

So I was due an oil change like a week ago. Of course I run OEM filter and Mobile 1 advanced full synthetic 5w-30. Drained oil for about 45min then added my 5qts. I knew I was lacking .5 qts roughly so this past Sunday I added .5qt of MMO thinking it couldn't hurt, being that it's at 120k miles. Well I thought all was good until today I noticed some splatter on the LCA. I get under the truck and oil is splattered under the front of the truck. Looks like it's coming from crankshaft main seal. But I'm worried it's the pan.
    Anyways, is this normal after adding MMO? And how much should I expect to pay for this repair?

2. Torspd

Torspd Moderator
    Staff Member

What is MMO? Marvel Mystery Oil?

Very likely just the age of your seal.

3. xrgilly

xrgilly Active Member

Maybe more motor oil

whippersnapper02 likes this.
  4. bluXkid

bluXkid Member

Marvel mystery oil.

5. Torspd

Torspd Moderator
    Staff Member

:p Lol

6. Coupe

Coupe Active Member

The front seal is pretty to change. The hardest part is breaking loose the bolt on the crankshaft pulley.

I don't think the MMO caused your problem.

7. Gadget

Gadget Well-Known Member

Oil leaks can be good or bad.....

On the older radial aircraft engines, if they are not leaking oil everyone freaks out and needs to figure out why, like maybe none left....

Anyway, if the main seal is leaking it will likely sling oil of the back side of the pulley. If it is not doing that it might not be the main seal.

I had a bad oil leak on my X a few years ago. It was from the front of the engine. Thought it was the main so I got a new one and pulled the pulley off and found a bolt behind the pulley had fallen out.