fuel filter

Discussion in 'TSBs' started by toyota06, Feb 22, 2012.

1. toyota06

toyota06 New Member

Has anyone changed there Fual Filter ? is it easy or is there anything i should know befor i do it tomorrow. Looks pretty easy but just wanted to here from someone who has done it befor. :adore:

2. revobreaker

revobreaker Moderator
    Staff Member

I thought it was built into the fuel pump :dontknow:

3. lamecargo

lamecargo Active Member

Yes I believe so

4. revobreaker

revobreaker Moderator
    Staff Member

Thought so.

And i think one of the benefits of URD's fuel pump upgrade is that it switches to an external (and more easily serviceable) filter.

So good luck with your project:top:

5. toyota06

toyota06 New Member

#5 toyota06, Feb 22, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  6. Gadget

Gadget Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

The fuel filter is inside of the fuel tank. In the above picture it is that big thing at the bottom in the top picture. The fuel pump is inside of that.

The fuel filter is not available separately and cannot be replaced without replacing the entire tank unit assembly. That is $600-700 from Toyota.

This is why URD developed the fuel pump/filter kit to solve this problem and you don't have to buy the expensive part from Toyota. The conversion kit relocates the new fuel filter outside of the fuel tank so it is easy to replace later if needed.

Gadget

7. justin13703

justin13703 Active Member

Yeah like gadget says its part of the factory fuel pump. The easiest and cheapest way to do it is to get his walbro fuel pump upgrade. I have it and it works great, puts the new filter right where you can get to it so you can change it out in about 5 mins.

Since youre in my area, if you decide to do it and need a hand or any advice, let me know, I may be able to help you out.

You have over 100k on your x dont you? If so that fuel filter is gonna be real clogged up by now, Id def just get the new pump kit.

8. toyota06

toyota06 New Member

ill have to look into that upgrade. the reason i wanted to change it because iam having a problem when i floor the gas peddle to the floor it starts to take off then it just slows down like i let go of the gas when i didnt. does it in every gear so i thoult maybe the filter needed changed so iam not sure what is causing this but there is no check engine light on just loss of power when i put the gas to the floor

9. justin13703

Yeah I didn't think about mentioning this in your other thread, honestly that does sound like your problem, it flows enough to build pressure at part throttle but when you stand on it it just loses pressure. The fuel filter being clogged could definitely be your problem.

10. toyota06

toyota06 New Member

Yeah i was thinking the same thing after checking a few other things

11. justin13703

You figure out your problem yet?

12. TahoesHateMe

TahoesHateMe New Member

Put a fuel pressure gauge on it to test. Theres nothing wrong with making sure.

13. justin13703

I regardless would get a new one with 100k plus miles on it. Dezod motorsports is running a group buy on the pump and filter kits right now for just a little over a hundred bucks. Really cheap.