Gauge power source

Discussion in 'Interior Modifications' started by NHXRUNNER, Apr 26, 2016.

1. NHXRUNNER

NHXRUNNER "New Hampster"
    Staff Member

So I picked up a couple gauges and a Flexpod for the truck and want to know where everyone tapped power from. The install guide calls for a 12v switched power. Whatcha got for me?

2. Venomous_X

Venomous_X Active Member

3. NHXRUNNER

NHXRUNNER "New Hampster"
    Staff Member

Thanks Donny, got a suggestion to use an add-a-circuit on the rear power windows circuit. I saw that one of the old How To threads suggested the same teal white wire...

4. Venomous_X

Venomous_X Active Member

I'm glad you asked LOL... I ended up browsing some of the old threads and started reminiscing brother. Hope things have been good.:top:

5. fishsticks

fishsticks Because fast lifted truck.

I have a relayed circuit that is triggered off the EFI fuse in the engine bay that I use for key-on auxiliary stuff.

6. Coupe

Coupe Active Member

I installed a 2nd fuse box and ran a dedicated circuit.

Who in the hell is Venomous X???????

7. 30Birdy

30Birdy Member

This is the safest option. With the Ebay ones, it will give you 3 other circuits to add as well.

8. justin13703

justin13703 Active Member

Since you're right there at the steering column I'd just grab power from the ignition harness. I can't remember colors, but there are 2 seperate ignition switched wires. One will lose power while cranking the truck. One will keep power while cranking the truck. This is the one you want to use in case your gauges have a start up sequence, so they won't re start every time you hit the starter.

You're just powering gauges, no need to over complicate it. Just add a 5 amp in line fuse. The wiring in the ignition harness is heavy gauge stuff and won't be affected by some gauges running off of it.

#8 justin13703, Apr 26, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  9. Venomous_X

Venomous_X Active Member

White with teal tracer is ignition source that stays on during crank. :crinklehair:

James.... I am but a figment of your imagination LOL Howdy do?:biggrin:

10. justin13703

justin13703 Active Member

Thank you sir :top:

There you go. I'd just tap into the white/teal at the ignition harness, add the inline fuse and call it a day.

11. autobodyX

autobodyX Active Member

Good information. I have had a flex pod for a year now and if I make up my mind on what gauges to buy I can get them installed.
    I keep waiting on the new version of the UCON it can wyfye to a multi gauge display.

12. hottacoX

hottacoX Moderator
    Staff Member

I used the add a circuit off the rear window fuse since our trucks don't need em

13. hottacoX

hottacoX Moderator
    Staff Member

I daisy chained all my gauges off that with the exception of the Widenand sensor, I put it on its own deadicated fuse.

14. Slywhitty

Slywhitty "Midget Magnet"

Pretty sure that's the same spot I tied mine into. Can't remember though. Just remember using a test light and found one empty slot that had power at key on lol

15. NHXRUNNER

NHXRUNNER "New Hampster"
    Staff Member

I've only got 2 gauges so I think I'm going to run them both off the add-a-circuit.

Now that we've got the power source out of the way. Anyone else have the Flexpod? I installed mine and the bracket scrapes the damn steering wheel.

16. fishsticks

fishsticks Because fast lifted truck.

Mine clears the steering wheel. I had to run a tap down the holes for the socket head screws, as you couldn't tighten them down with the powder coat on there. Also the Innovate gauge bezels bind pretty bad at the hinge point, and my column screws were silver instead of the oxidized black shown in the pictures.

Neat idea, but at $120 for a couple pieces of aluminum I expected better finish work.