Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Gauges not working!!!

speckdzl4shzl

"Gym Junkie"
Reaction score
posted this on CT too...

***Now there's a lot to this so bear with me and i'll try to decribe this as best i can. I tend to ramble lol***

Ok, where to begin. Plainly stated, my gauges aren't working. They haven't been working "correctly" for some time now; like 2 years lol since the last tennessee Oktoberfest at least
verdict_in.gif
Yesterday I went in to try to fix them and now they just won't work at all. Something's fishy...

Until yesterday my gauges have been working fine...for the most part. Actually they'd work at any point where my truck wasn't left out in the elements at a "temperature extreme". What I mean is, in the morning (when the truck has relatively cooled down over night) they'll work fine, "perfect" even. But say if i left my truck outside exposed to the elements, (i.e. in the driveway, at work, parking lots and basically anywhere else exposed to the sun for a couple hours, or just enough time for my cab to heat up super hot), my gauges would not work when I got in my truck and started it. I live in Florida and the summers here are uber terrible when it comes to the heat and my cab just gets nasty hot like I was saying. Now they wouldn't work for some time (around 15 sometimes 20 minutes) and then what seems out of nowhere they'd just pop back on and BAM they'd be back. sometimes they'd go out again a few mins later (not cooled down enough?) but then they'd come back on and stay on until my truck was heated up again and it starts all over again.

Now this doesn't only happen when its hot out. I've had it happen during winter on those freezing nights (yes freezing, as in 25*F freezing) and they would do the same thing. but during the day when the temp was just perfect they were just fine.

There's also some other weirdness. When they are acting up nothing will work besides the door open light, blinker lights, hazard lights (obviously if blinkers are working) and sometimes the parking brake light. so there's definitely power to them. Also if i press the trip meter button i can cycle through my odometer and trips. OH YEAH and every time my gauges are out, any driving i do isn't recorded on the odometer. so the mileage displayed on my odo isn;t my actual mileage. by now its gotta be around 500-1000 miles off **** maybe more. <---awesome but definitely weird. found that out by this happening and then my gas light coming on way too soon (i reset trip meter A each fill-up and B every oil change)

The other weird thing is that when they aren't working and i'm driving i can stomp (not just normal breaking, a f*cking stomp, usually out of anger lol) on the brake pedal and they will pop right on, but not always...i cant do this right when i get in and my truck is super hot but after like 10 minutes of driving (windows always down so it cools off). doing that kinda leads me to believe that some connection is loose or some sensor is going bad? could it be my whole gauge cluster unit?

But anyways up until yesterday they'd have a mind of their own. I decided that yesterday I was going to get in there and look to make sure really they were plugged in right and everything looked good on the circuit board. i got in there and the two top plugs were snug and clipped in as normal. there were no burns on the back of the board or anything like that. everything looked fine. i unplugged it and plugged it back in etc. but now I have no gauges at all! WTF!!!

I haven't messed with them besides having my LED's changed to blue instead of orange. I didn't do the change but the dude that did them did a bunch of other guys on here at the same meet, so he was pretty good at soldering etc. To my knowledge I have not heard of any of them having any problems (or anyone for that matter) with theirs doing the same thing. We all had the same type of LED's so thats not a factor and i watched the whole job and its not sloppy at all. Besides that they haven't been messed with or tampered with to my knowledge (second owner of the truck, bought at 32K)

Generally (from what i remember) during Fall and Spring they work all the time which is why I'm blaming extreme temperatures. and i know it's kinda weird to blame the temps so i could just be completely wrong with that but that's the only time at which i notice it...could be completely wrong. I'm just out of ideas and need some input.

X-roller

Reaction score
Ok I skimmed thru it and is it the cluster that doesn't work or just the lights?

SX TOY

Reaction score
I think he means the cluster (guage needles) or the lights in the cluster.

rich017

Reaction score
Need a wiring diagram of the whole circuit to do some pinpoint tests.

But it sound to me like your cluster is bad. Any way you could swap clusters with a local? Hell it might even be worth it to take it to the dealer and pay for 1hr of Diagnosis to find out what the problem is

speckdzl4shzl

"Gym Junkie"
Reaction score
rich, ya i'm going to ask jay if he wouldn't mind swapping just to check.

i also have a buddy that's a master tech at Toyota i'm going to have take a look at it. or at least pick his brain...

rich017

Reaction score
rich, ya i'm going to ask jay if he wouldn't mind swapping just to check.

i also have a buddy that's a master tech at Toyota i'm going to have take a look at it. or at least pick his brain...

He will be able to find it out since he has all the resources that you cannot get unless you are a Toyota Tech

STONER-X

Reaction score
it is possible that when the gauges were removed the proper static protection were not used and a static shock has runied the electronic board in the cluster.... ALSO since the leds were soldered in it is possible that the person that did the slodering may have accidently had a sloder run... meaning two contact points were connected by sloder.... or maybe as the slodering iron was removed a drop of sloder fell off the tip and is shaking around there shorting out points at times...

i am a lab tech at work and test electronic boards all day.... soooo i have a little info on static dissipation ....

it is possible if a static shock was introduced to the electronics... you feel them a 3000 volts... and can be produced at less than 500 volts... so you would not even know...

now with that said if that did happen it can be a problem that happens later down the road.... like now....

really it almost sounds like there is something bad in the electronics... when we test boards we got to room temp.. 25C to 150C down to -20C ,...... i think that it is a static problem.... if you have a buddy with taco near you... see if yall can swap gauges for a few days to see if you still have the problem..... im sure if you take it to toyo.. thay will just swap the cluster....

Top Bottom