Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Getting the 09+ Stock sub to work with an aftermarket Head unit

Doublld

Reaction score
Lol I figured it was a wiring issue. Probably with those blue wires I brought up.

Actually no. It was the rear speaker wires were switched. The purple with black strip and the purple they were crossed

spithead051

Reaction score
So this ended up being embarrassing. Turns out it was caused by the wires for one of the rear speakers being backwards. The speaker worked but the signal was not being received properly by the sub.

Now to figure out why my instrument cluster backlight stopped working....

xrgilly

Reaction score
U might have popped your dimmer switch I did that when I was dicking around with my stereo ..u can pop the dimmer out disconnect it and bridge the connector prongs see if they work

Last edited:

xrgilly

Reaction score
i was dumb and used a flat head screwdriver to pop it out left some marks on the dash so i wouldn't recommend doing it that way I'm trying to remember what area of the dash the dimmer is located

u can remove that section that covers the clusters and u might ve able to reach in and pop the switch out.. there might be a write up on how to remove that section in the how to change the l.e.d colour how to

i know there is 2 plastic phillips screws in the top of it if u remove them it should pop out

check your fuses first of course

Last edited:

spithead051

Reaction score
I checked every fuse in the truck. Although when I pulled IGN 2 out under the dash, the cluster lit up when the parking/headlights were set to off.

I'll pop the dimmer in the morning and take a look at it.

Last edited:

justin13703

Reaction score
I checked every fuse in the truck. Although when I pulled IGN 2 out under the dash, the cluster lit up when the parking/headlights were set to off.

I'll pop the dimmer in the morning and take a look at it.

What do you have the orange wire coming out of the radio connected to? If it is connected to the actual "dimmer" wire in the harness that usually pops your dimmer circuit fuse or fries the dimmer switch itself. There should be a wire labeled "illumination" this is the wire you can connect the orange wire from the radio to. Or just leave it disconnected. Only downside is your radio won't dim itself at night.

spithead051

Reaction score
What do you have the orange wire coming out of the radio connected to? If it is connected to the actual "dimmer" wire in the harness that usually pops your dimmer circuit fuse or fries the dimmer switch itself. There should be a wire labeled "illumination" this is the wire you can connect the orange wire from the radio to. Or just leave it disconnected. Only downside is your radio won't dim itself at night.

On the Kenwood instructions it is called the "Dimmer control wire" and on the metra harness it is called the illumination wire. I guess when I was testing the radio earlier I didn't have the truck "On", just at "ACC" to test the radio and when I actually turned the truck on it must have fried the dimmer switch.

Blue10XR

Reaction score
I connected a Sony xav 701HD today and have not sub power or audio out of the rears.
I dont even see any rear speakers in the xr at all. Is there something I am missing on how to make the sub power up using the toyota harness?

justin13703

Reaction score
I connected a Sony xav 701HD today and have not sub power or audio out of the rears.
I dont even see any rear speakers in the xr at all. Is there something I am missing on how to make the sub power up using the toyota harness?

What is the blue/white wire coming out of your radio connected to

And the rear speakers on 09 and up are in the headliner

Blue10XR

Reaction score
What is the blue/white wire coming out of your radio connected to

And the rear speakers on 09 and up are in the headliner

Justin,
Blue/white from HU to blue of harness. If they are in the headliner they are really hidden well...

hrspwr236

Reaction score
Justin,
Blue/white from HU to blue of harness. If they are in the headliner they are really hidden well...

And very tiny and practically worthless :frown: you have to remove the headliner to get at them, just forget they are even there :top:

justin13703

Reaction score
Justin,

Make sure that all the blue and blue/white wires on the harness are connected to the blue/white on the radio. I can't remember off the top of my head how many there are. But other than that it should be working. It might just be very quiet. Most people say they're pretty much useless anyway along with the headliner speakers lol

Blue10XR

Reaction score
Yes, I get the feeling they are worthless as well but I was just trying to get them to turn on.
It looks like the internal amp which powers the rear are not getting power or something of that nature.
If no one here has done this I suppose I'll get the multimeter out and start ringing writes out to see what is happening.
Thanks for all the help so far!

Top Bottom