Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Getting the 09+ Stock sub to work with an aftermarket Head unit

justin13703

Reaction score
Now this was helpful....I guess no one has accomplished this? It seemed as if the OP did.

He's just trying to boost his post count by posting useless crap lol.

If you can get ahold of a multimeter and see if it's not getting either power or audio. That'll give us a better place to start

Blue10XR

Reaction score
He's just trying to boost his post count by posting useless crap lol.

If you can get ahold of a multimeter and see if it's not getting either power or audio. That'll give us a better place to start

Justin,
I really appreciate your help! I think I have enough information to figure this out. I want to take it back apart and confirm my findings to see if they are correct. I will definitely report back on this when/if I get it going. I think one of my issues are that I have the Alpine KTP-445u connected and rocking the front components but nothing from the rear. It looks like in removing the stock radio the ACC wire to the sub/amp gets removed. and possibly the audio input as well. My concern now is if I provide the input through the 445 it will cause issues to with the stock sub/amp. I believe if I wire the rears/sub off the HU output and then provide the ACC to the sub/amp she should work as designed. We shall see....

Blue10XR

Reaction score
Ok. So I went back through the install and I learned a few things.
1. My truck either A doesn't have rear roof speakers or B someone had taken them out or disconnected them. I confirmed this by putting the stock HU back in and still no rear audio except for the SUB.
2.The sub will not accept an amplified signal from the Alpine KTP 445U and assume the same for any other amplified input.
So I ran the speaker out green/purplefrom th HU to the green/purple wires and as soon as I did the sub began to work.
I left it wired like that for now and the sound has improved slightly but I feel like I need more mid/high from the rear.
I will also be adding a real SUB because the stock does the truck no justice, but we all knew that.

Still a bit perplexed about the rear not being there or working at all. Is it possible the 2010 model had an option for rears and they are not there?

justin13703

Reaction score
Ok. So I went back through the install and I learned a few things.
1. My truck either A doesn't have rear roof speakers or B someone had taken them out or disconnected them. I confirmed this by putting the stock HU back in and still no rear audio except for the SUB.
2.The sub will not accept an amplified signal from the Alpine KTP 445U and assume the same for any other amplified input.
So I ran the speaker out green/purplefrom th HU to the green/purple wires and as soon as I did the sub began to work.
I left it wired like that for now and the sound has improved slightly but I feel like I need more mid/high from the rear.
I will also be adding a real SUB because the stock does the truck no justice, but we all knew that.

Still a bit perplexed about the rear not being there or working at all. Is it possible the 2010 model had an option for rears and they are not there?

Oh I didn't know you were using one of those alpine power packs. That will definitely cause issues with the stock sub because youre basically sending an amplified signal to the stock amplifier. The way you have it now bypassing the alpine amp will let it essentially work like stock.

Im pretty sure rear speakers were standard in all the Tacoma access cabs. Especially if it has the "premium" system that came with the subwoofer. So it is possible that they have either completely blown, or they are disconnected/removed. From what I hear those headliner speakers were pretty quiet, but im assuming that what you said is true and there is actually no sound output from them.

Top Bottom