Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Help: '09 XR rear disk installation issues

brs

Reaction score
I'm hoping someone out there can help diagnose the following problem...

Several years ago I installed the front Rotara disks and they worked fine, better than stock for sure.

Last week my local shop installed the "TundraRacing Pro Series Rear Disc Conversion kit". The installer was familiar with the SSBC calipers and has installed several but not on tacomas. After the install the brakes felt spongy like air in the line. After spending hours flushing the lines then eventually doing a power flush they managed to find some small bubbles but the situation was only slightly improved. We are fairly sure that no air exists in those lines.

Now, when the engine is off the brakes pump up and give a firm high pedal. Once the engine is started then they feel spongy. After about a half inch of travel I feel light braking begin but it does not continue to get stronger as fast as you would expect and the pedal goes down quite far to start getting good braking. To activate the ABS even on wet roads takes quite an effort. Nothing near as good braking performance that I had before removing the drums.

So, if it's not air what could it be?
And, has anyone else installed these rear brakes?

I'm stumped, the shop is stumped, and TundraRacing is stumped too.

Redlantern

Reaction score
It still sounds like air in the lines. When I did my rear breaks(drums) I had to come back to the shop 3 times to bleed the lines and there was still air in them. That's when I decided to bleed them myself and purchased my own pneumatic break bleeder. I went through the whole bottle of break fluid to make sure I had no air and everything worked good afterwards and that was the big bottle.

x-runner kid

Reaction score
I have had this issue before as well but not with the discs just the drums. Because of the abs system it's very difficult to bleed the rear brakes and get all the air out. Just have to repeat the steps several times. Also you should follow the correct order in which each wheel needs to be bled. As I recall (don't have the book in front of me) it's not the normal farthest from the booster first order. Also make sure you bleed the front brakes as well. Just because you only opened up the rear brakes doesn't mean you don't need to bleed the fronts also. You will most likely have to do it several times. If that still doesn't work and your 100% sure there is no air chances are two other things. 1: your brake booster is going out or 2:because of the front bbk adding the rear disc conversion is too much for the stock booster.

Nashman

Reaction score
the tacoma uses a x pattern I think to bleed, so front left left rear are one system ect.

I see this happen alot when you get shitty spongy brakes.

or some times if the shitty mechanic does not clamp off the soft lines you can get a ton of air in the system and then get air into the abs system then have to bleed it from the abs unit it's self. weather it be craking lines or if you lucky has a bleeder.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Check around the brake line fittings. Dry the area with brake clean and then pump the brakes. Make sure that there is no new fluid around the fittings. If so, then they are not tight enough and need to be re-tightened.

Then bleed, rear right, rear left, front right, front left.

x-runner kid

Reaction score
Proper bleeding sequence for a non-vsc trac equipped Tacoma is as follows: (1)right rear wheel (2)left front wheel (3) left rear wheel (4) right front wheel. Make sure that before you begin you take any residual vacuum from the brake booster by applying the brakes several times with the engine off.

autobodyX

Reaction score
Pull the e brake half way and see if it improves the feel. If it is much improved you have too much travel in the rear calipers and they will need adjusted. Also check the pad installation, the have two small studs that have to match up with notches in the caliper piston. If not install correctly you will have problems.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Pull the e brake half way and see if it improves the feel. If it is much improved you have too much travel in the rear calipers and they will need adjusted. Also check the pad installation, the have two small studs that have to match up with notches in the caliper piston. If not install correctly you will have problems.

:top: :top:

Top Bottom