Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

HID Install write up and moisture in headlights

thechief21040

Reaction score
I've searched a bit and I haven't found any good write up on a HID install or which one is the best or easiest to use anyone have any advice?

Also the inside of my headlights look somewhat foggy what would be the cause of that? And how do you fix it?

metalpeddler88

Reaction score
Are you going to try a retrofit or a Plug-n-Play?

I did a retrofit, and referred to several pages/writeups/videos, etc. Since I used the theretrofitsource.com FX-R housings, I had to do some extra work (cutting, JB weld, aligning, etc...). Plus the halos. It kind of reminds you of Arts and Crafts from school, but more advanced. :rolleyez: I believe the Morimoto D2S mini fits without extensive cutting and fab work (correct me if I am wrong). Just bake the headlights apart, and start fabricating. If I remember right, this is one write up I looked into http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?54958-How-to-05-14-Tacoma-Mini-H1-and-FX-R-Install. My advice, if you're doing a retrofit, do lots or research, and buy a spare set of headlights, just in case. :wink:

If you are going to do a plug-n-play, it's easy to do. Plenty of videos online, in addition to the instructions you'll get with the HIDs. Down side is lots of people will flash their brights at you because the reflector housings aren't designed for HID. Some states it's illegal to do so. Light goes everywhere and blinds people. :disappointed:

As for the foggy headlights, check to see if it's moisture or plastic fading. Generally the outside will fade, but the inside will get moisture stuck inside. Some people have stuck silica gel packs inside and helped it out. If not, next option is to bake them open and re-seal them (or use silicone sealant around the edge of the headlights). If it's the outside, then you can get a headlight restoration kit from the local auto store. It's not a permanent fix, but does help for a little. New headlight housings seem to be the way to go. :smile:

I also recommend between 4300k and 5000k. It's the brightest light output, and whitest. 6000k starts to turn bluish, and the light output goes down as the Kelvins goes up.

Top Bottom