Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Just bought some subs!

BlackXrunner05

Reaction score
Nope , its a bit more .... It's 16 inches on the inside .... Focal has a diagram of different sealed volumes for this sub and it ranges from .88 to 1.41 cu ft. . I think ,if my math is right I'll be getting 1.20-1.23 cuft . .

jboy671

Reaction score
What are the measurements for width, height, length internally? The reason I specifically did a square box and not curved ported is because the math gets just as difficult as the execution. My box may be square and not as pretty as a curved one but I can say for certain that my net after all displacement is at 1.5 ft^3 and my port is properly tuned to 32hz. You lose some airspace with a curved enclosure so I'm guessing that your net will be more along the lines of under 1 ft^3 then take into account the displacement of the sub. A sealed enslosure is more forgiving than ported when it comes to airspace but there is still such a thing as too small/big of an enclosure.

BlackXrunner05

Reaction score
Believe it or not I did the math , which isn't that difficult and I'm managing to get like pre-sub mounted 1.20 -1.24cuft per side ! I started the box today ! here are some pics!
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/32408_4531217011484_229765387_n.jpg
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/578914_4531218171513_21017799_n.jpg
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/305387_4531217811504_1019247982_n.jpg

I'm trying something different with this box ! I'm mounting the sub to a plate and then pushing the sub through a hole . I didn't want the sub sticking out ! I also don't know why I have to post pictures by URL . Apparently , copying the image and pasting isn't working !

Last edited:

jboy671

Reaction score
It looks like you are doing a sealed enclosure and that will take away the math needed for the port. I still am curious about the measurements. Two subs sharing a sealed space will sound better than two subs divided but since you plan on having one on either side there's not much you can do but to seperate them down the middle. Goid luck.

dpartinvr4

Reaction score
If he has a two channel amp "running stereo" then separating them will help, if not then single chamber wired out of phase is the best/easiest way to do it

BlackXrunner05

Reaction score
I'm using a mono amp ! And wiring them for 1ohm ! I'm going to wire them like it says to on the12volt.com ...

Last edited:

dpartinvr4

Reaction score
Ohm load and phase are different, basically you don't want the subs to fight eachother, so you wire the + and - opposite on one sub so they work together to move the air. And assuming they're dual 4 ohm, wiring them in paralell would get you 1ohm, but 12 volt will illustrate it for you.

jboy671

Reaction score
if not then single chamber wired out of phase is the best/easiest way to do it

If the subs are facing basket to basket in a single chamber sure. If they are mounted side by side you're hurting the performance more by wiring out of phase. I would still wire them parallel to 1 ohm like the op intends but divide them to their own space.

dpartinvr4

Reaction score
or stay single chamber and only wire one sub in a passive radiator setup

If the subs are facing basket to basket in a single chamber sure. If they are mounted side by side you're hurting the performance more by wiring out of phase. I would still wire them parallel to 1 ohm like the op intends but divide them to their own space.
he's wiring them basket to basket though

Last edited:

jboy671

Reaction score
I know the difference between ohm load and phase. I used to build comp systems for both spl and sq. I never broke records but I never broke the systems either.

When you put two subs in a single chamber and wire them out of phase of each other you are creating a push pull effect and you lose the natural air spring that sealed enclosures are best known for. Wiring out of phase causes the sub to "flip" the notes. If a note should cause the sub to push, out of phase the sub will pull. I never use out of phase. Almost everyone I have competed with never used out of phase. When the enclosure is designed and built properly out of phase is not even a consideration. Given the direction the op wants to go with his enclosure I would personally give each sub their own airspace and wire them parallel to 1ohm.

justin13703

Reaction score
I didn't see anything in the thread about it but is the amp you have 1 ohm stable?

BlackXrunner05

Reaction score
Yes the amp will be 1 ohm stable and for that I'll be paying $1200 for it haha ! I hope it sounds awesome ! I still need to pick up some stuff for it though ..... I'll need a set of terminals, glue , and I have chalking . I'll also have to find an upholsterer ... I want black suede with red stitching .Oh and the amp ,once I can afford it .... lol

BlackXrunner05

Reaction score
Jesus, does it have gold core wiring or something
Damned if I know ... I do know you get what you pay for . It's focal's only 1 ohm stable mono . Maybe I'll get lucky and I can find it discounted somewhere... I'm wary of Focal discounts though as people counterfeit focal products ! ---- Correction, it's $999 ----lol

BlackXrunner05

Reaction score

justin13703

Reaction score
1000 dollars for a sub amp, holy damn lol. I got both my sub amp and my 4 channel when I worked at my last job, they got lost in the back and were on clearance for a while, and I paid 33 dollars for each of them, brand new in box, with 4 year replacements on both. Theyre nice amps too theyre Kenwoods and were originally like 300 each.

Anyway, the box is looking nice. I cant wait to see it when youre done. I do have to ask though is there a reason you went with the 1-ohm setup? An amp that can output the same power at 2 ohms will be so much cheaper and easier to find/replace than a 1 ohm. Not hating or anything, just curious. Over 1000 dollars after tax is a hell of a lot of money to pay for a subwoofer amp.

BlackXrunner05

Reaction score
I'm a firm believer in "you get what you pay for " ! Plus I want all my components to match !

Top Bottom