Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

just surpassed 170k....what now?

blu xr

Reaction score
like the title says...just rolled passed 170,000 miles on the xr. gonna look back to see when we bought it, but i believe there was around 30k when purchased. its an 05 and the only thing ive had to do other than reg maint. like oil & filters, tires, wipers, etc. was a throttle body cleaning that the oil change shop tricked my wife into getting lol.

of coarse being in texas those are hwy miles, but it still runs strong and shifts good. i do have a few little issues i need to take care of, but nothing big i think. here they are...

1. for a couple years i get a "clicking" noise when i turn my vent on for "inside" circulation. if i turn it back to "outside" and wait a few minutes, it usually goes away.

2. the shifter is sloppy. it shifts fine and i rarely miss, and when i do, its prob my fault lol. ive own(ed) 3 supras, 2 of them being manuals, one was a 1993, the current project is a 1995 and have never seen this sloppy of a stick....actually none of the manuals on both 1993 rx7's i own now do it either.

3. in the last couple weeks ive notice a squeaking sound at idle. when i depress the clutch, it goes away. if i let off...it starts squeaking again.

any thoughts on the above problems?

anyone else have these isssues?

who else has passed the 150k mark?

what good & bad have you seen?

what can ii expect next?

easts1d3

Reaction score
1. its probably your blower fan bearings
2. you need to either do a coupe shortened shifter or buy a new shifter
3.you need a new throwout bearing

i have 180000 miles on my truck and i snapped a shifter fork in the transmission and blew up my ring and pinion gear and the Steering rack probably needs to be replaced.

blu xr

Reaction score
^ thanks for the tips

was your issues normal wear or are you pretty hard on it?

autobodyX

Reaction score
Clicking noise is from the acuator Moter.
Squeak is certainly the throw out bearing, it is annoying both of my trucks did that.
If you have not had issues with you fuel system it is next. The filter in the tank always get stopped up.

Last edited:

Nashman

Reaction score
my front bumer creeks so annoying yet to lazy to tighten down the bolts on the front crash bars to the stubs that bolt to frame

justin13703

Reaction score
You may want to check the white plastic bushing at the bottom of the shifter arm before you replace the shifter itself.

Remove the center console, push down on the ring around the shifter arm and turn it counterclockwise. You can pull the whole shifter arm out of the trans and that white bushing (or what’s left of it) should come out with it. But chances are the rubber bushing on the inside of the shifter arm itself is worn out also.

blu xr

Reaction score
bump for my first major repair...

sitting a little over 187k and my alternator went out. took it to the dealer and they wanted over $600 to fix it lol.

ended up doing it myself and saving $450.

Reaction score
167k miles here and ive done a water pump and I ripped a ujoint out and warped the driveshaft before...

spicciani2

Reaction score
Sounds like yall are doing pretty well keeping the big items at bay at relatively high miles!

Top Bottom