Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

K&N vs Fujita

09runner

Reaction score
so im lookin to get a new air intake system for my 09. im torn between the K&N 63 series aircharger and Fujita short ram intake system. ive seen dyno sheets for the K&N and they show a 10hp gain. but i cant find a dyno for the Fujita. does anyone here have the fujita short ram? if so do you have a dyno showing hp gains? im open for suggestions for either system. what do you guys/gals think? what are your opinions on the two systems?

T0LLPHR33

"Catwoman"
Reaction score
I've heard the K&N and it sounds good. I have had the Fujita and that was loud and definitely gave you some power and better throttle response. but with both intakes they are still susceptible to sucking in engine heat. With the Fujita I saw at time 30% above ambient air temps.

I know how the TRD CAI and my suggestion is go with the TRD, URD TCAI, or AFE (who makes the TRD intake)...Good luck bro

BSP06XRU

Old Member
Reaction score
:dito:
I've had the Fujita and loved it, but I now have the TRD.:top:

Fujita does not have the dyno sheet for our Tacoma's, but they do have many other dyno sheets available. Most show an increase of about 10-15 HP.

http://f5air.com/applications.html

BSP06XRU

Old Member
Reaction score
As Jay stated, AFE makes the intake for TRD.:top:

54-81163_400.jpg

http://afepower.com/shop/details_new.php?partno=54-81163&&brandID=67

URD sells a bunch of intake systems:
http://www.urdusa.com/index.php?cPath=151_164&osCsid=koto4jdgiljm821o136u7rlo45

Good luck on whatever intake you get!

Bronx Bomber

Reaction score
I have the Fujita and I love it. I dont like the K&N. And the Fujita does look Much Much nicer under the hood then the K&N.

xXLuckyiAMXx07

Reaction score
i have a K&N intake but i want to get the TRD intake :frown: i hope my change of heart helps you out. haha

Colbster

Reaction score
I have the AEM Bruteforce, I like it, but wish I would have went with TRD or URD. Hope this helps:smile:

dj_lucas840

Reaction score
from what ive heard the trd and afe are the way togo unless u get the urd! but i have the k&n it might not get as cold of air as some the others but i luv the sound it makes! you hear that bad boy doing its job! sounds mean! i havent heard a urd so not sure how it is!

krazy_j

Reaction score
i love my fujita comp bronze its loud and the response is always better than the stock air box no matter what you change to but if i was to do it again i would go with the urd its a true cold air intake

Murderface

Reaction score
URD is INSANE:top: The sound is awesome, the look is awesome and the power-specially at highway speeds is UNBEATABLE. Everyone is gonna love theirs the most. Pretty much think about install procedures-URD you will have to cut a piece of the radiator support out(No big deal) and cut and re-connect some wires for the MAF sensor(also no big deal). I've had mine for 1 1/2 years and NEVER had an issue with water or MAF sensor problems.
Just something to consider

Vecte

"Fluffy"
Reaction score
Hands down you will get the best results out of the TRD/AFe and URD intakes. However, if you are stuck between the K&N and Fujita, I would go with the K&N, seeing as it is a cold air intake, and not short ram.

Murderface

Reaction score
Hands down you will get the best results out of the TRD/AFe and URD intakes. However, if you are stuck between the K&N and Fujita, I would go with the K&N, seeing as it is a cold air intake, and not short ram.

I agree with this quote:top:

5000XD

Reaction score
I have a Volant intake (to make it even harder for you to decide :laugh:) and I'm getting the X-1 tuned up to be used with this intake. This will be fun!

09runner

Reaction score
thanks everyone for your opinions. you've given me plenty to think about. you'll know what i go with when i get back in the states and can get to work on the x. thanks again!

XRnRElite77

Reaction score
URD all the way!

I have a URD-like one that me and another member built and it is amazing. I had the fujita and is was great the problem is that if you want TRUE COLD AIR then you have to get OUT OF THE ENGINE BAY. Temp on air in there is around 125 degrees. If thats the air you taking in you engine then it not cold lol.

You have to get the air from the wheel well or the front grille so before it gets to the engine.

just my 02 cents. I have heard of some people having hydrolog with the URD in states that rain alot where the truck will shut off during extreme raining conditions. just a thought. but performance is hands down better then K&N or fujita.

Vecte

"Fluffy"
Reaction score
if you want TRUE COLD AIR then you have to get OUT OF THE ENGINE BAY.

This is NOT true. The TRD intake runs damn close to ambient, and can match the temps of the URD intake. I'm not knocking on the URD intake, I had it, and it was excellent. Just don't need people thinking that URD is their only option for "true" cold air.

XRnRElite77

Reaction score
This is NOT true. The TRD intake runs damn close to ambient, and can match the temps of the URD intake. I'm not knocking on the URD intake, I had it, and it was excellent. Just don't need people thinking that URD is their only option for "true" cold air.

Ooops didnt read what I wrote lol

What i was saying is that the two that he is refering too are open air filters in the engine bay meaning that reguardless of whether or not the K&N says "cold air intake" its not really.

AFE makes a cold air intake that is amazing, URD makes a good one, TRD makes an ok one but the temp is still not cold unless the air is taken from somewhere OTHER then the engine bay.

Thats what I meant.

moving the filter out of the engine bay decreases the temp by about 9 degrees, that alot in terms of air temp. I had the trd and loved it any are better then stock that for damn sure, I just perfer the URD style cuz i got better HP numbers from it and the temps were a little colder

jeffrey.f.tsai

Reaction score
Intake

My friend has a Fujita short ram in his X and it sounds really nice. Not sure how much horsepower gain he gets b/c I haven't seen any dyno sheets.. I just recently got an intake also and had the same dilemma. I narrowed my choices down to URD, TRD, or AFE. URD has a unique design and is more of a TCAI, but I was a little scared of it sucking in water since it's exposed in the front of the grill area. I ended up getting the TRD b/c I've heard really good things about it on this forum and the TRD site has the Dyno sheets to back up the product. Check out the trd website...The TRD intake is also enclosed and hooks up to the fender area to help get more cold air even though it's still in the engine copartment. AFE looks pretty decent as well since the company also makes TRD.

Good luck in making your choice.

Top Bottom