Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

LED cluster NEEDLE colour change???'s

06 xrunner

Reaction score
Hey peeps

So I've changed the LEDs of the gauges and was gonna do the needles at the same time but didn't realize how many LEDs for the needles so had to order a few more.
I plan on doing a couple blue and a couple white I read that some people have removed the paint on needles and repainted them with the colour the LEDs are and some people have just removed the paint and left clear

Question is do I need to paint the needles again or just leave clear? and if need to paint do I paint them the same colour of the LEDs and do I just paint the under side or whole needle and what you peeps used to paint?

thanks

Edit:Hard to see in pic but tach and speedo are blue and want want white needles and gas and temp are white and want blue needles

Attachments

• DSC_0264.jpg
    DSC_0264.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 110
  • DSC_0266.jpg
    DSC_0266.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
I wish I could help. There are a few here that have that knowledge. Hopefully they will chime in soon.

1GRracer

"Pete"
Reaction score
You can use nail polish remover. The orange is just a stripe under the needle.

Xcars_onfireR

Reaction score
I used sand paper to take off the orange and the ruff texture really made the blue from my leds show up really well

nick_gz1

Reaction score
looks nice so far, i still need to get this done

TitanRattler813

Reaction score
lightly sand the backside of the needle until the orange disappears, then paint them white (a whiteout pen is perfect for this) It will look a million times better than leaving them clear regardless of what color LED you choose

Jerez

Reaction score
Nail polish remover is what I use to remove the paint when I do the swaps...

And I use hobby shop spray paint to the color the person wants

Blue led on the needles- blue paint on needle.

Looks good so far :top:

I've gotten mixed reviews from clear to repainted needles but imho, painted is the way to go

Reaction score
I left mine non-painted for about a week and it is harder to see them during the day. So I hit the dollar store and got a cheap bottle of white out and it look 100 times better.

06 xrunner

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the info now just gotta wait for the LEDs to show up

My SS drop kit should be here tomorrow..can't wait to install that this weekend and be sittin sic finally

donovanbedwell

Reaction score
damn i want to swap my LEDs so bad but i have no idea where to start... :frown:

JFrame

Reaction score
How small are the pins you have to solder on the LED's? I have very limited experience with a soldering iron and only about 30hrs with a welder. Is it pretty easy to do or should I probably look at finding someone else to solder it for me?

06 xrunner

Reaction score
It's very easy to do I hadn't soldered since back in high school about 15 years ago. The pins are pretty small but just make sure to use a low wattage soldering iron around 20-30 watts so not to fry the circuit board. The longest part is taking everything apart the soldering only takes about 30 min. I thought it would be a lot Hardee than it really was. Make sure to use a soldering pen type with a fine point not one of those big gun types.

Here's the link I followed
http://www.xr-underground.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=941

And these are the LEDs you need
http://www.oznium.com/plcc-2

Make sure to order enough the first time not like I did
Tach-2 LEDs
Speedo-3 LEDs
Fuel gauge-1 LED
Temp gauge- 1 LED
Turn signals- 4 LEDs (2 each)
LCD screen- 3 LEDs
Tach needle- 2 LEDs
Speedo needle- 3 LEDs
Fuel needle- 1 LED
Temp needle- 1 LED
All other indicators like engine light,tpms, headlight, engine light, etc are 1 LED

Let me know if you need anymore info

donovanbedwell

Reaction score
It's very easy to do I hadn't soldered since back in high school about 15 years ago. The pins are pretty small but just make sure to use a low wattage soldering iron around 20-30 watts so not to fry the circuit board. The longest part is taking everything apart the soldering only takes about 30 min. I thought it would be a lot Hardee than it really was. Make sure to use a soldering pen type with a fine point not one of those big gun types.

Here's the link I followed
http://www.xr-underground.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=941

And these are the LEDs you need
http://www.oznium.com/plcc-2

Make sure to order enough the first time not like I did
Tach-2 LEDs
Speedo-3 LEDs
Fuel gauge-1 LED
Temp gauge- 1 LED
Turn signals- 4 LEDs (2 each)
LCD screen- 3 LEDs
Tach needle- 2 LEDs
Speedo needle- 3 LEDs
Fuel needle- 1 LED
Temp needle- 1 LED
All other indicators like engine light,tpms, headlight, engine light, etc are 1 LED

Let me know if you need anymore info
thanks man! this is probably gonna save me a lot of grief haha

Top Bottom