Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Major ALBERTA flooding going on right now

hiflyer

Reaction score
Last edited:

Gators Taco

<a . href="http://www.xr-underground.com/forum/sho
Reaction score
We might have to ship a trailer full dinghies to Calgary

Phoenix

"Snow Ninja"
Reaction score

Phoenix

"Snow Ninja"
Reaction score
Thanks Kim - currently there isn't a lot to do. We have to wait for the water and let CPS (Calgary Police Service) and firefighters, EMT's and the military do their job. Once they start opening positions to help clean up and set up volunteer stations at the evac locations I'll be on it.

Last night for myself was taking bed loads of people in the Tundra away from rising waters. Thrilling, yet really surreal. I haven't ever experienced a disaster like this and let me tell you, our entire city turning into a quiet ghost town while a river rages through it destroying everything in its path almost feels like the city is waiting for Godzilla to attack.

Currently the Red Cross is taking donations and if I may say from personal friend experience - a LOT of people have lost their homes. My boss and his new family included. He has a baby on the way and his home got swept away in the river. His parent's house also got swallowed by the Bow. My best friend south of the city had her entire childhood town pulling the best version of a Canadian Atlantis I've ever seen and all 13,000 residents were evacuated and now they are under 20ft of water.

If you have the heart or feel the need, please donate to the Red Cross. I'm sure those who have lost everything but themselves will thank you from the bottom of their heart.

Jwheatley

Reaction score
My family from Calgary area (Canmore) are staying with us in Leduc.

xRunnerLance

Reaction score
Its crazy to see all this happening all around. Im glad that there hasn't been any casualties in calgary, but seeing the devastation and flooding its caused... it paints a very sad picture, as most of these people arnt covered for "overland" Insurance. I dont have a link to the artical off hand, but These people are left to cover the cost of repairs on there own if no other assistance is offered. Bad for home owners, good for tradesmen (or tradeswomen)
Just like the stores that jacked up prices.. I fear my fellow trades people may do the same. Sad really.. that people just want to take advantage of those who may have just lost everything.

kwigs160966

Reaction score
Its crazy to see all this happening all around. Im glad that there hasn't been any casualties in calgary, but seeing the devastation and flooding its caused... it paints a very sad picture, as most of these people arnt covered for "overland" Insurance. I dont have a link to the artical off hand, but These people are left to cover the cost of repairs on there own if no other assistance is offered. Bad for home owners, good for tradesmen (or tradeswomen)
Just like the stores that jacked up prices.. I fear my fellow trades people may do the same. Sad really.. that people just want to take advantage of those who may have just lost everything.

yeah i was worried about that its pretty crazy 20 bucks for a bag of ice?? i live in airdrie and people were all freaking out at the safeway buying all the water they could find lol our water was never shut off here and i still drink it. definatley could bring a lot of work for tradesmen but if they do jack up the price that is when you start under cutting their over priced quotes and take al the bussiness. come to think of it might be a good idea and a good way to get my own gig going ......

what trade are you in?

xRunnerLance

Reaction score
Yea it's pretty sad that people that far away were panic buying.
I'm actually up in Airdre right now for a friends birthday lol.

I'm an apprenticing electrician. My normal job site is just up the hill on Edmonton tr from the bow. Took a ride down the hill to check it out, just hard to believe.
I heard somewhere that the glenmore dam has a max cubic meter per second of just over 100000. Yesterday at its peak, it was about 630000. Food for though just how much water was moving.

hiflyer

Reaction score
http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/0...ood-threat-moving-toward-medicine-hat-region/

some charts:

05BH005.jpeg

BOW RIVER AT CALGARY

almost 10x the usual flow !!!

05BH004.jpeg

baghramdunks

Reaction score
$20 for ice? Shut the front door! No decency is what that is but i guess everyone is just out there trying to make a buck regardless of how unscrupulous it has to be.

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
Stay safe guys. Flooding sucks. Our town got nailed in 08 big time. The city is still working on recovering from the devastation. Its amazing the power of water, and how little control we do actually have over it.

Phoenix

"Snow Ninja"
Reaction score
$20 for ice? Shut the front door! No decency is what that is but i guess everyone is just out there trying to make a buck regardless of how unscrupulous it has to be.

The funny thing is - it's actually illegal to gouge people on prices during a time like this. I can't imagine what is going through people's minds when they slap new labels on things, however currently there are no actual pieces of proof stating it's happening according to the Mayor.

Good news though, the water is receding and 65,000 people are allowed to return to their homes. Still 0 on the death scale which is always promising. My boss returned back to his home and sent a picture of his basement.. well.. just the stairs as you can't actually get past the third step due to water.

Hope the rest of you Calgarians are doing alright.

TommyXrunner

Reaction score
just watched the news and saw the hockey stadium flooded to the 7th row of seats! looks like theres going to be a ton of work for the tradesmen! there was a huge forest fire here a few years ago in kelowna and tons of homes were lost but they all ended up getting brand new mansions much bigger and nicer than what they previously had. created a lot of jobs and seemed to bring the community together. overall after everything had happened i think more good than bad was taken from the disaster

Phoenix

"Snow Ninja"
Reaction score
just watched the news and saw the hockey stadium flooded to the 7th row of seats! looks like theres going to be a ton of work for the tradesmen! there was a huge forest fire here a few years ago in kelowna and tons of homes were lost but they all ended up getting brand new mansions much bigger and nicer than what they previously had. created a lot of jobs and seemed to bring the community together. overall after everything had happened i think more good than bad was taken from the disaster

That's how it'll be here I think, some disaster brings a community closer than it was before.

Top Bottom