Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Mysterious water in the floorboard

ajb1106

Reaction score
My husband and I own a 2005 X-runner and have been struggling with the mysterious water accumulation in the passenger side floorboard. We came to a conclusion that it's not the heater core b/c there's no fluid loss and the HVAC works as normal and we had Safelite fix the stripping at the bottom of the windshield. My husband also re-sealed the rubber plugs in the floorboard. Looking for suggestions? Thanks.

Venomous_X

Reaction score
It may be a pin hole in the firewall under the wiper cowl. I had a similar issue in my 08 for quite some time before I finally tracked it down. Check those seems once you pull that cowl off. I ran a bead of clear silicone and haven't had a drop since.

MplsX

Reaction score
Check your drain tubes from your heater box. Blow them out from under the truck or stick a coat hanger up the tubes to clear them.

ajb1106

Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks, my husband just told me that he used an aircompressor on the drain tubes and nothing came out. Is there more then one drain tube. The one he cleaned out is on the passenger side firewall.

MplsX

Reaction score
I don't know how many drain tubes there are, but you can run a test to confirm if there is blockage. Run the truck with the AC on and see if water is dripping on the ground. No water drips mean there is an obstruction. Or the drain tube could be disconnected.

05H0TWHEELS

Reaction score
I had water under the driver dashboard running from the top of the windshield dripping to the steering column. This happened twice on 05. Totally messed up my garage opener sucks, cuz those things are expensive for me.

Nick_c

Reaction score
Its condensate water clean the drain out with compressed air.

shaX 07

Reaction score
I had a similar issue in my 05 X way back in the day, it was on the driver's side.. My truck was at the dealer for another issue so I actually had them fix it, I honestly never found out what the issue was but they fixed..

FireB

Reaction score
Wow, this thread is worth subscribing because of the Link hottacoX put on.

I had an issue with my old Rav4 I had.
I used to park in a lot where there were incline.
The water was actually coming from wire that came from the engine bay to the passenger's side of the car.
Did some silicone glue to the rubber grommet on the electrical wire section and the problem solved.

But I would definitely take a look at what Murderface has posted.

ajb1106

Reaction score
You're right! Awesome post. Thanks. I'll be taking apart the truck this weekend! :)

Reaction score
I had a pool of water on my passenger floor after a good day of heavy rain. Found the water was dripping out of the blower motor housing. The cabin filter was soaked as well. I took the windshield/hood cowl off and it looked like water was seeping in between the sheet metal "intake" that sticks up to draw air into the blower motor. There was some foam looking sealer from the factory that looked suspect so I used some urethane caulk to go over the stock seam and I haven't had a problem since.

Reaction score
My leak returned as my truck tripped around 100k miles. It only happened when I'd go through the car wash. I noticed the black plastic cowl is getting old and warping. I used black RTV to seal the black plastic to the windshield and now no water makes it through.

Top Bottom